PDA

View Full Version : Rica results

jim
Sunday 28th November 2004, 09:21
Upgraded with rica and air filter and am massively impressed with the results.

Now it feels a little bit like you drive along motorways in 3rd because it accelerates so quickly at whatever speed your going.

Now I'm wondering if people change brakes (discs/pads etc) to upgrade braking in line with this and any favourite wheels/tyres/suspension mods to put the power down.

Need to get new tyres and can't workout if I should change my wheels. Currently have 16's on there. Most people say you don't need to? They spin in 1-2nd now though even on the move and weave about when you accelerate.

All views welcome; like to keep the car looking fairly standard from the outside.

Cheers,

Guys
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS (http://herbalvaporizers.info)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th November 2004, 16:14
Most cost effective way to get the brakes up to spec - Ferodo DS2500 pads and Brembo disks. The disks area plain so they don't stand out. Putting this combination on the front will cost about £200 from VT. The front is the most important - as this is where the majority of the braking is done.

Front tyres are you main concern. I have recently put a set of 17" rims on. This is purely for cosmetic reasons. I can recommend Vredestein Sportrac 2. They grip very well in wet and dry conditions

I am happy that you are pleased with the RICA.

Bracer
Monday 29th November 2004, 10:44
Good sound advice there Dave, I second your mods :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 00:48
why thank you kind sir. I think they are much better than the cheese and rubber band idea I had originally thought of :shifty:

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 10:08
why thank you kind sir. I think they are much better than the cheese and rubber band idea I had originally thought of :shifty:

ROTF LMAO :dgrin:

Markzx
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 11:29
Most cost effective way to get the brakes up to spec - Ferodo DS2500 pads and Brembo disks. The disks area plain so they don't stand out. Putting this combination on the front will cost about £200 from VT. The front is the most important - as this is where the majority of the braking is done.

Front tyres are you main concern. I have recently put a set of 17" rims on. This is purely for cosmetic reasons. I can recommend Vredestein Sportrac 2. They grip very well in wet and dry conditions

I am happy that you are pleased with the RICA.

I'll bang them on mine next time because I've never been too impressed with the brakes on mine.

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 11:34
I'll bang them on mine next time because I've never been too impressed with the brakes on mine.

I must be the only one who aint had a problem with the quality of the brakes, saying that I have no idea what pads are in the front as I haven't changed then since buying the car nearly over 2 years ago :eek:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:15
TBH I dont feel the need to upgrade my brakes from standard. I feel they work perfectly well and even with 300 or so bhp my braking efficiency is perfectly adequate.

I agree that if your car is a used to race (on the track) then uprated brakes are a must but is it really necessary for day to day driving or just a waste of hard earned cash?

x

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:16
TBH I dont feel the need to upgrade my brakes from standard. I feel they work perfectly well and even with 300 or so bhp my braking efficiency is perfectly adequate.

I agree that if your car is a used to race (on the track) then uprated brakes are a must but is it really necessary for day to day driving or just a waste of hard earned cash?

x

Dont give me that :eek:

:hidesbehi

:wink:

Markzx
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:44
I must be the only one who aint had a problem with the quality of the brakes, saying that I have no idea what pads are in the front as I haven't changed then since buying the car nearly over 2 years ago :eek:

They aint standard then because the standard ones don't last long and create bucket loads of brake dust. I put Mintex 1155 compounds on my 850 and they worked pritty well.

Markzx
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:49

x

I think its since I put 330 mm Brembos and big Brembo calippers all round on my Z that every thing else just don't seem to stop quick enough. + I drive like a whore most of the time. Its the proplem of living in the sticks and everywhere being at least 20+ miles away.

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:50
They aint standard then because the standard ones don't last long and create bucket loads of brake dust. I put Mintex 1155 compounds on my 850 and they worked pritty well.

I will make a point of having a good look next time the rims are off :wink:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 15:51
I think its since I put 330 mm Brembos and big Brembo calippers all round on my Z that every thing else just don't seem to stop quick enough. + I drive like a whore most of the time. Its the proplem of living in the sticks and everywhere being at least 20+ miles away.

I also live in the sticks and I have no problems braking!! LOL I fully utilise the power in my car.....but never feel that my brakes are inadequate.

x

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 15:53
I also live in the sticks and I have no problems braking!! LOL I fully utilise the power in my car.....but never feel that my brakes are inadequate.

x

Does help when you wear a size 10 Dr Martin thou dont it Nat :eek:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 15:56
Do the size of your feet make a difference as to how fast you drive then?? LMSO!

x

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 16:00
Do the size of your feet make a difference as to how fast you drive then?? LMSO!

x

Well apparently is make a difference in other areas so I just assumed bigger = Faster, Harder, Longer :redface:

Or am I thinking of something completly different :eek:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 16:07
Well apparently is make a difference in other areas so I just assumed bigger = Faster, Harder, Longer :redface:

Or am I thinking of something completly different :eek:

LMSO!! Thats another forum altogether dear! :wink:

x

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 16:10
LMSO!! Thats another forum altogether dear! :wink:

x

Sound like it could be that start of something good thou :thewave:

Will have to look into it later :wink:

855t5r
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 19:41
Im amazed that some of you are happy with the standard brakes!

I was incredibly unimpressed by the standard brake set-up so I changed to cross drilled and grooved discs with Magnesium and titanium compound and Mintex fast road pads.

And even those arent too clever under heavy braking!

I also live in the countryside and do a lot of fast B road driving too!

Once christmas is out of the way its gonna be APs for me :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st December 2004, 01:30
Do you know why the AP kits work so well? Coz they use ferodo DS 2500 pads. Granted you share the load more evenly with 6 pot calipers. I seriously suggest saving the money. Ask Hamish at VT - he'll tell you.

I would only go for Ap Kit if you were seriously into your track days.

Bracer
Wednesday 1st December 2004, 09:31
Mmmmmmmm

6 Potters :eek:

:wink:

dannt5
Wednesday 22nd December 2004, 21:46
Hi all,Ive suffered brake probs with my T5s warping disks front&rear.Tried all kinds of supposedly unwarpable disks(tarrox,ebc,reddot,brembo,mintex etc)with all kinds of pad combinations but to no avail.Ive finaly found a set up that seems to be working,for the moment.I changed the fluid to Dot5,run 17inch wheels to aid the airflow around the brakes,run 3inch brake ducking from the front bumper to the front brakes,im running Black Diamond drilled&grooved disks all round with police spec volvo pads front&rear.This hasnt been trouble free as the front disks did warp&crack after 3months useing black diamonds own pads,but they have replaced them free of charge,gave very good service&were very helpfull.The brakes do need a good squeeze from cold but seem to be working very well when warm/very hot.Hope this is of some help, regards Dan

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 23rd December 2004, 01:33
Could have just cut to the chase and gone to VT?

Brembo disks and ferodo DS pads - bish bash bosh - job done. :worship: