PDA

View Full Version : Maximum boost for KKK24

Turkish
Thursday 15th July 2010, 12:44
What is the maximum boost that is safely obtainable on the KKK24, I have been googling and for our Volvo's it seems to vary between 1.3 to 1.4 BAR, is this correct?

Also does anyone know at what RPM the max BAR can be safely held too.

S70T5Chris
Thursday 15th July 2010, 13:42
The P1's can only hit 1.4Bar (absolute max). I know of a couple of 2.4 engines peaking at 1.5 bar, tailing off the about 1.3 at the very top end IIRC.

That is approx how my car is set up, but to run that boost on earlier cars you need forged rods. I believe 1.5bar on your engine would be fine. I need to get mine on a dyno at some point, it's much easier to see what the boost/fueling/etc is doing on a graph than when your driving!

I've wound the K24 up to higher boost pressures to see what it can do. 1.6 Bar is as far as it can happily go, i've taken it all the way to 2 bar, but it's not really any good. Even at 1.7Bar get into the higher revs and the car bogs down loads as that little KKK is just blowing hot air. 1.6Bar works fine as I said, but i've been reliably informed that the turbo won't last too long, so 1.5Bar is optimal for performance and longevity.

Turkish
Thursday 15th July 2010, 15:21
Thanks Chris, that is great info.

Can I ask at what RPM is the Turbo is peaking and at what RPM does it tail off on your setup?

S70T5Chris
Thursday 15th July 2010, 15:39
i've got a friggin boost leak which i picked up at castle come. once thats sorted (hopefully this week) i'll let you know, i can't remember exactly from memory

Turkish
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 13:07
Hi Chris,

Just wondering if you managed to find out this information?

Cheers

Yosser
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 13:11
I *think* Chris is at the Nurburgring just now, that might explain his late reply.

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 20:42
I have just got back from the ring, yeah! What another cracking weekend (even though I didn't take the Volvo this time)

Got another couple of niggles with the car so haven't haven't had chance to film the boost on a run to see whats its holding through the rev range.

Bung the same question over on T5D5, the guys over there know much more than me. I only know what I pick up from them really!

Turkish
Wednesday 28th July 2010, 23:27
Sorry to hear about the car, hope you get it sorted a.s.a.p

Glad you had a good trip to the ring, still on my to do list!