PDA

View Full Version : v70r - New Owner

smckeown
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 12:26
Hi All,

I'm back in volvo ownership, this time I've bought a 1998 Sapphire v70r FWD AUTO. It was an ebay special and has a number of issues i'm already working to resolve, here's the initial list:

- ABS/TRACS light - I looked through the documentation and it had a replacement ABS ECU 2 years ago, but I suspect it needs repair. So i'm expecting to send this off to one of the ebay companies who charge around £60 to repair

- Squeeky brakes - they are seriously squeeking - The pads and discs were replaces by kwik fit about a year ago, and look fine. However I have already ordered volvo OE items from FRF.

- Calipers - As well as replacing discs and pads, I am also looking to rebuild the calipers as no doubt they will need some attention. I am getting prices from FRF and BigRed for rebuild kits. I have rebuilt calipers before so I have all the correct grease etc

- Sagging drivers seat - I've been in touch with a local seat reconditioners and they advised it's best to try and get a volvo foam first, otherwise a custom one has to be made - request send to FRF

- Air Con - Kwik Fit were unable to re-gas as it was not holding a vacuum - So request sent to RT to get a quote for replacement...am expecting a large number!

- Rims - The comet rims are seriously corroded, maybe due to the heat from the poor brakes, so i'll get them refurbished

Other than that I think it's a fine example, with an excellent service history

Here are the pics from ebay/previous owner

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image1.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image2.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image3.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image4.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image5.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image6.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image7.jpg
http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/Image8.jpg

cheers
sean

Turkish
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 13:12
Looks a lovely car, I am sure when you have finished tinkering it will be back to perfect.

willi
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 20:28
Its Gr8..Cant beat a good looking saffy.

T5frankie
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 20:57
best volvo there is mate

T5frankie
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 20:58
oh and its saffron not saphirre but they get called saffy's

mightywolf
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 21:51
And as far as the squeeky brakes go, mine used to be really bad, and it was after I'd changed the discs n pads. £3 from ebay for a set of silicone shims to stick on the back of the pads fixed that little problem :)
Oh and she looks well sweet!

Vikingxl
Wednesday 14th July 2010, 12:01
oh and its saffron not saphirre but they get called saffy's

Or gay gold

mds
Friday 16th July 2010, 11:45
Word of warning don't just get the wheels tidied up, they will look OK for a while but the lacquer will continue to lift.

We had a Car Valet used to come around every Friday after a couple of Months the Comets on my car and my partners the lacquer was lifting. Same on the Perso's on a couple of the other cars.

Turned out the lad who was valeting the cars was using something like Wonder wheels to clean them up and it reacted with the lacquer. Refurb didnt last.

We had them shot blasted back to bare metal crack tested and powder coated before re-lacquering, I have never used wheel cleaners since (I don't think the Valet lad does either expensive lesson)

Quicksilver
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 16:07
And as far as the squeeky brakes go, mine used to be really bad, and it was after I'd changed the discs n pads. £3 from ebay for a set of silicone shims to stick on the back of the pads fixed that little problem :)

Do you have a link/name as I can't find them on E-bay.

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 22:55
welcome to the site. I have a how 2 on stopping your brakes from squeaking.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1277

Self adhesive shims will save you from grimacing at traffic lights.

smckeown
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 10:40
Ok here's up update...

I took the car upto Russ at RT Mechanics to have the vast majority of work done, here's what his list is like, based on the symptoms the car had, and what he's discovered since having the car for the last 2 weeks.

Evaporator replacement
Heater matrix replacement
ignition barrel replacement- old one just started to spin
wheels reconditioned
new exhaust from cat back - old one was shot, went for OE item
new elec components such as coil,leads, dizzy etc
new rear calipers and discs/pads - one caliper had siezed, as well as 1 rear brake pipe squashed
oil cooler and pipes - all pipes looks dangerously rusty
replace abs unit - refurbed by HLM
full service inc. auto box oil change

Once this is done it's going to a local seat retrimmer to have a new drivers seat foam replaced, already have the parts waititng

Then im very temoted to have an LPG conversion, as I intent to be doing 30k miles ovet the next 12 months

Am hoping to get the car back next friday

Sean

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 10:47
Ok here's up update...

I took the car upto Russ at RT Mechanics to have the vast majority of work done, here's what his list is like, based on the symptoms the car had, and what he's discovered since having the car for the last 2 weeks.

Sean
Chalk up another ABS repair for HRW Dave (his royal wobbliness)

cookie
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 11:14
Ok here's up update...

Evaporator replacement
wheels reconditioned
new rear calipers and discs/pads - one caliper had siezed, as well as 1 rear brake pipe squashed

Once this is done it's going to a local seat retrimmer to have a new drivers seat foam replaced, already have the parts waititng

Then im very temoted to have an LPG conversion, as I intent to be doing 30k miles ovet the next 12 months

Sean

Have you had a quote?
Replacing some of those parts sound very expensive and IMHO unnecessary, Have you had alternative quotes/second opinion from any other Mechanics/garages, or even Main dealers?

Also may be worth getting quote from Rufe for cost of parts, ABS units are usually repairable cheaply, if your is not repairable, you can usually find 2nd hand, and resolder if required.

I would also seeing as Russ already has car, ensure that you get all old parts back for inspection.

T5-Andy
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 11:20
Ok here's up update...

I took the car upto Russ at RT Mechanics to have work done,

Once this is done it's [probably] going to...

Sean

...need a new engine within 2000 miles!! ;)

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 11:42
Ok here's up update...

Evaporator replacement
wheels reconditioned

Sean

had my t5 converted here couple years back top notch guys no problems of any kind http://www.biglpg.co.uk/

cookie
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 12:17
Ok here's up update...

Evaporator replacement
ignition barrel replacement- old one just started to spin -

2nd hand lock set may be better option, so as to keep matching key (probably 20 mins additional work)

wheels reconditioned

I assume you are sorting this with a wheel refurber

Why OEM??

uprated/standard/what others recommend

Braided hoses, calipers can be usually be refurbed in sub 30 mins (I have stood and seen it done)

More than 1 customer has had problems with Russ fitting these, however only one was willing to go to court over it

all ready delt with

unless its a proper flush on auto box, then ain't worth doing

Sean

There are plenty of options, like I have said, make sure you get all replaced parts back, and packaging to show genuine parts used, invoice stating item prices (you can then check with Rufe that you haven't be over charged)

I would strongly advise checking what you are being billed for, check that genuine parts are being fitted (esp brake pads/discs), and that you are not having new parts fitted just because its easier (and more profitable) than cleaning, and refiting origional parts (thinking calipers here, and crushed hose sounds IMHO a tad sus)

Quicksilver
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 12:41
welcome to the site. I have a how 2 on stopping your brakes from squeaking.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1277

Self adhesive shims will save you from grimacing at traffic lights.

Thanks Dave, just need to find somewhere to buy them, also on this subject my rear disces seem to glaze up and start to judder, every six months I take them off and clean them up and there fine for a while is there a perminant fix?.

smckeown
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 12:44
Blimey some strong opinions here. Firstly I'm well aware of the court issue regarding RT, I read the entire thread a while back, plus recent updates, and have had problems with engine builders in the past, suffice to say i'm still happy and comfortable with RT doing the work.

Russ has proactively looked to save me money on many occasions already, by suggesting alternatives to what is needed, i'm not going into details but I think reading the thread above he's some sort of gangster, but on talking to him in detail many times and examples of his work.cost saving I am more than impressed with his professionalism, high levels of customer service and general good manners.

Yes I could have done some of the work myself, i have reconditioned calipers myself previously, but it's cheaper for me to have RT do it rather than me taking time off work todo it, my hourly rate fare exceeds his, plus the weekends are family time.

For many of the electrical components I decided not to go for volvo stickered items, and go Bosch, saving a lot and OE quality. Russ managed, on my request, to track down an OE quality oil cooler for far less than OE.

Another example is the wheels were recondinioed and came back the same colour as they were previously, russ was able to spot they were incorrectly coloured previously, and had them redone in the OE colour at his own cost, that's an example of exemplary customer service.

Sean

T5-Andy
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 12:55
Blimey some strong opinions here. Firstly I'm well aware of the court issue regarding RT, I read the entire thread a while back, plus recent updates, and have had problems with engine builders in the past, suffice to say i'm still happy and comfortable with RT doing the work.

Russ has proactively looked to save me money on many occasions already, by suggesting alternatives to what is needed, i'm not going into details but I think reading the thread above he's some sort of gangster, but on talking to him in detail many times and examples of his work.cost saving I am more than impressed with his professionalism, high levels of customer service and general good manners.

Yes I could have done some of the work myself, i have reconditioned calipers myself previously, but it's cheaper for me to have RT do it rather than me taking time off work todo it, my hourly rate fare exceeds his, plus the weekends are family time.

For many of the electrical components I decided not to go for volvo stickered items, and go Bosch, saving a lot and OE quality. Russ managed, on my request, to track down an OE quality oil cooler for far less than OE.

Another example is the wheels were recondinioed and came back the same colour as they were previously, russ was able to spot they were incorrectly coloured previously, and had them redone in the OE colour at his own cost, that's an example of exemplary customer service.

Sean

I'd just take Cookies excellent advice, still, perhaps you have money to burn? Incidentally, is Russ still fitting jubilee clips to oil cooler hose connections (thus compromising the OE hose connection)?? I'd be very interested to see the hours billed to you by Russ for each item of work, that is usually very amusing, do make sure that you INSIST on a FULLY ITEMISED bill, favourite trick of Russ' that!!! And check his adding up as well!!!! Amazing how his bills are incorrect in his favour!!?!?!?!

smckeown
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 14:02
thanks for the advice and feedback, i will certainly take on board the discussions above, now that's enough RT backing, back to the car updates :-)

I'm expecting Russ to listen to the crashing sound when the car is up and running next week, so im expecting at least top mounts to be replaced. i'm keen to keep the car OE to be honest, but replacing the self levelling suspension and lowering with eibachs are an option. I've put eibachs on my cars many times in the past and they have been nothing but excellent. I used to use matching shorter bilstein shocks to keep everything matched too.

Did I read that you can't clean the alcantara seats ? I was hoping to get my carpet cleaner out and give them a good clean

Sean

Liddo
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 14:18
Can i buy this car when your finished??? :D I thought i was bad for spending money getting a car right, but you take the busciut ;)

Good luck with the "project" though, sounds like its going to be lovely once complete ;)

smckeown
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 14:32
Here are the pics of how bad the rims were, and the new seat foam ready to go in

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/040810/foam.jpg

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/040810/rims.jpg

Quicksilver
Thursday 5th August 2010, 14:15
Clip on wheel weights!!! no wonder they're in a bad way!. Mind you when I got mine it was on the standard 205 tyres and if you got anywhere near a curb you cought the rim!, I run 215's now and no problems.

smckeown
Friday 27th August 2010, 15:27
Finally picked up the car today. We had fun and games regarding the ABS ECU and Air con but all is now well. Drove the car back today and it felt really good, well worth the wait. I drove 700 miles in RT's black courtesy car in the last week, and driving my own car again was ace. It's been tested for the last few days so I am confident all is well and I have lots of miles ahead worry free.

Thanks to Russ for fitting the seat cushion free of charge, the seat is now seriously comfy, just what I need for my 1000 miles per week journey.

Here are the pics of the rims that were reconditioned whilst it was there.

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/270810/rear_rims.jpg

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/270810/front_rims.jpg

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/v70R/270810/side_view.jpg

Sean

Phuturephantasy
Friday 27th August 2010, 17:01
Blimey !! How much did that little list cost you then?

smckeown
Friday 27th August 2010, 18:45
Blimey !! How much did that little list cost you then?

A lot! haha But it's now sorted and hopefully very reliable going forward or the 1000 miles I do weekly, plus everything works!

mightywolf
Monday 30th August 2010, 21:49
Did I read that you can't clean the alcantara seats ? I was hoping to get my carpet cleaner out and give them a good clean

Sean

you can clean them. i saw a post up about it the other day. You need alacantara cleaner, a suede brush and a shaver!