PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth trying?

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 14:50
Is it worth trying changing the head on my engine?

My head gasket has gone in spectacular style, and I've quite probably warped / bent the head but I don't know if I've done any damage to the bottom end too.

So is it worth giving it a shot, taking the head off and putting a new head on, or should I just stick a whole new engine in there?

Cheers

t5 stealth
Sunday 11th July 2010, 14:57
i think it depends on how deep your pockets are & how skilled or confident you are in doing either job.
personally i would take it apart to see what/if any major damage is done,
you might be worrying about nothing lol.

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:03
It's pretty well cooked, I know that much :(

Never worked on anything other than a V8 yank big block, so not too sure, but I'm sure I could work out how to do the engine on the T5.

Not like I'm gonna make things any worse

t5 stealth
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:10
It's pretty well cooked, I know that much :(

Never worked on anything other than a V8 yank big block, so not too sure, but I'm sure I could work out how to do the engine on the T5.

Not like I'm gonna make things any worse

mmmmmmm big block v8..................

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:12
Last one I worked on was a Chevy ZZ572R/720. 9.4 litres of juicy displacement, with twin quad screw superchargers on top too :D

t5 stealth
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:17
Last one I worked on was a Chevy ZZ572R/720. 9.4 litres of juicy displacement, with twin quad screw superchargers on top too :D

and it works the proper way round.......kicking the rear wheels up the ar@e lol

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:34
Oh yea, you know it, I love RWD cars, proper beasts.

If I can't fix the rat wagon, then I'll be looking at getting a RWD beastie :D

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:41
You could try taking the head off and having it skimmed and tested

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 15:53
Yea, but cost of getting it skimmed is quite a bit though isn't it?

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 11th July 2010, 18:10
I got mine skimmed for £25 and it was finished perfectly.

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 18:51
Fair nuff then.

Guess I'll take the head off then and have a look at what's lurking under there, can't hurt can it?

Giles
Sunday 11th July 2010, 18:59
Mine just cost £1,200 for a skimmed head, new valves and complete head rebuild - did a full service while he was at it and changed the oil breather pipes, as well as a new radiator........and now it's for sale....lost loads on this car, but, at least there was no damage to the bottom end and has now been rebuilt (head). Not meaning to hijack the post, but here it is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850R-auto-R-2319cc-Turbo-/120594618228?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c13ffd774 also on autotrader too.......

Crazy_C
Sunday 11th July 2010, 20:03
Sounds like it'll be worth it then. Might be able to save myself some pennies, or at least save me some money with doing an engine swap anyways if half the engine is already gone LOL

mexybhouy
Monday 12th July 2010, 22:46
I would try and pick up a cheap t5 engine! there's plenty about, a lot cheaper than head refurbishment! you may even get a good head off a ££££ed bottom end block???

Crazy_C
Monday 12th July 2010, 23:22
Well I should hopefully be getting a really good head for £40 so I figured that that will be worth a shot.

Not found anyone in the area who has a T5 Volvo for breaking other than a couple which are head on accidents or have had damage to the engine :(

Crazy_C
Tuesday 13th July 2010, 23:46
Well I won a head, with camshafts, on eBay earlier, for £40, as I was expecting, so woop woop!! :D

Started taking things apart on the engine ready for taking the head off. Cambelt cover is off, top half of the intercooler pipework is off. Started taking the bolts for the upper half of the cylinder head off too, so hopefully on Thursday (my day off) I will have a lot of it stripped off ready for the new head to go on.

There anything I need to take into consideration when removing the head on an 850 T5? Only worked on yank V8s before this so not too sure, just a lot less space to work in LOL