PDA

View Full Version : Aerial location?!

T5hug
Friday 9th July 2010, 13:37
Anyone tell me where the aerial is located in the early T5 (mines a 93)?

Installed a head unit last night but the radio reception is terrible! Any other known causes!!?

Thats me got the T5 fully up and running, road legal, oil leaks sorted FULL service and taking it camping next week but i cant spend two weeks without a radio!! And i was worried about brakes, gearbox, timing ................. etc

Please help! :sorry:

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 13:46
Anyone tell me where the aerial is located in the early T5 (mines a 93)?

Installed a head unit last night but the radio reception is terrible! Any other known causes!!?

Thats me got the T5 fully up and running, road legal, oil leaks sorted FULL service and taking it camping next week but i cant spend two weeks without a radio!! And i was worried about brakes, gearbox, timing ................. etc

Please help! :sorry:

i assume you've got an estate then, its moulded into the rear windows. Can't remember if its the rear side windows or the tailgate

T5hug
Friday 9th July 2010, 14:00
i assume you've got an estate then, its moulded into the rear windows. Can't remember if its the rear side windows or the tailgate

Ha! Yes mate the estate and it will still struggle with 4 people a dog and 2 weeks camping gear!!

So dont suppose you know how the strips then go onto the aerial lead?!

Cant believe the saloon has something better going for it than the estate! A proper aerial!!! :saythat:

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 15:34
Ha! Yes mate the estate and it will still struggle with 4 people a dog and 2 weeks camping gear!!

So dont suppose you know how the strips then go onto the aerial lead?!

Cant believe the saloon has something better going for it than the estate! A proper aerial!!! :saythat:
it shouldn't struggle with an easy load like that, BT (a saloon) managed with 5 people, boot full of stereo, the holiday packing squeezed in any gaps, full tank of fuel & a jetski on tow & didn't bother her at all

tbh i've no idea on the terminals, i did think is the original aerial amplified which might explain the poor signal if you've not got the power connected

Dangerous Dave
Friday 9th July 2010, 18:11
There was also a problem with the strip on the window breaking, there are repair kits available (a tippex like metal liquid you paint on).

At the bottom of the window you can see the two ends of the metal strip. If you take the trim panel off, there should be an amplifier there somewhere.

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 19:09
At the bottom of the window you can see the two ends of the metal strip. If you take the trim panel off, there should be an amplifier there somewhere.
thought it might of been amplified

t5 stealth
Friday 9th July 2010, 19:58
when u fitted the stereo did u connect the wire to the amplified antenna,if u aint connected it then it will be crap reception...
one of the wires that come up to the stereo is the power antenna,
if its aftermarket unit then the wire from stereo is usualy blue,
make sure u have 12volt from the blue wire when the stereo is on,
if no power then might have inline fuse popped.

T5hug
Friday 9th July 2010, 22:23
Cheers guys seems to have sorted itself for just now!! More info for future reference though! I'll check the blue wire tomorrow anyway!!

The space problem is more the wifes fault she seems to think now we've got the "big" car we can take lots of extra rubbish!! What use is a hair dryer and straighters when your staying in a tent!?! And no I'm not buying her a 240v converter! Could use that for my dab tranny from the house tho!!!!

T5hug
Friday 9th July 2010, 22:26
when u fitted the stereo did u connect the wire to the amplified antenna,if u aint connected it then it will be crap reception...
one of the wires that come up to the stereo is the power antenna,
if its aftermarket unit then the wire from stereo is usualy blue,
make sure u have 12volt from the blue wire when the stereo is on,
if no power then might have inline fuse popped.

Just re-read this properly! Any idea which wire in the harness is the aerial amp!?

I should go google this but you guys are too knowledgable!

Thanks again for helping my dumb butt out!!!

t5 stealth
Friday 9th July 2010, 23:02
sorry mate,cant remember of top of head but the blue wire will be in the plug,make sure irs got a wire in that terminal.
im sure someone will b able to help,