PDA

View Full Version : Which dump valve do I need???

850t5
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:31
Captain newbie here with another basic question for you all :smirk: I've been looking into getting a samco kit with dump valve connection but I have'nt got a clue which dump valve I need. I see a lot about atmospheric/recirc and me7 models etc but I have no idea which is which :dunce: How do I tell which DV is the right one for my car? She's a 850 t5 '96.

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:36
you need a twin piston atmospheric dump valve. You've already got a recirc valve on the side of the turbo, this needs removing & blanking off to the most out the aftermarket atmospheric valve

850t5
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:48
Thanks bud. Whats the difference between the forge and baileys if any?

brett craig
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:49
as soon as mr fandango answers his pm i may have a twin piston dumpvalve for sale. need confirmation first that runin my boost pressure and stalling the turbo wont harm it.

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:52
as soon as mr fandango answers his pm i may have a twin piston dumpvalve for sale. need confirmation first that runin my boost pressure and stalling the turbo wont harm it.
PM? Sorry mate can you resend it, its not in my inbox (might of had a clean out & deleted without reading, you can't get the staff lol) Sorry

but with our cars running the boost high enough to risk the turbo isn't possible

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:54
Thanks bud. Whats the difference between the forge and baileys if any?
not sure which one it is, but one of them allows you to change the internal spring so you can set it up better for the boost level your running

850t5
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:57
Cheers Brett. I've already been having a chat with shaun850 as he's selling one with pipe + hks MBC but if it goes t@ts up I'll send you a pm mate.

I read about the lighter spring for lower boost turbo's etc. What kinda spring would best suit my standard t5?

Full of questions, me :D

brett craig
Friday 9th July 2010, 13:01
no worrys mate, any advice or halp you need just ask, its quite easy to do tbh.

took me around 30-40mins, but now dont have either on mine as i love the stalling noise to much lol. just make sure you get a blank plate and put a little sealer round it as the o-rings are not that clever.

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 13:05
you have PM :D

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 13:08
I read about the lighter spring for lower boost turbo's etc. What kinda spring would best suit my standard t5?
tbh i've no idea, i've never used a dump valve. I'm actually running the same as Brett with no recirc or dump valve. I assume Forge/Baileys (who ever it is) sell different rate springs, think you want one as close to the pressure your running, which if your going to use a HKS EBC then would get that running & set-up first so you can get a spring to match

Flatout Phil
Friday 9th July 2010, 14:27
tbh i've no idea, i've never used a dump valve. I'm actually running the same as Brett with no recirc or dump valve. I assume Forge/Baileys (who ever it is) sell different rate springs, think you want one as close to the pressure your running, which if your going to use a HKS EBC then would get that running & set-up first so you can get a spring to match

For what it is worth I got this setup and got it on a 'best offer' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORGE-MOTORSPORT-BOV-FITTING-KIT-VOLVO-850-V70-S70-/140344017020?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ad27c07c

Interestingly, Duane's no recirc/no dump set up is how K15 was for about a year. Since fitting the Forge DV I have noticed that the puff of blue smoke first thing at pull-off has substantially gone. I am presuming that it is having some effect on something (presumably in the PCV dept) ie the lack of a ricirc vale was doing something unhealthy to the breathing?

Any thoughts?

brett craig
Friday 9th July 2010, 14:36
Interestingly, this no recirc/no dump set up is how K15 was for about a year. Since fitting the Forge DV I have noticed that the puff of blue smoke first thing at pull-off has substantially gone. I am presuming that it is having some effect on something (presumably in the PCV dept) ie the lack of a ricirc vale was doing something unhealthy to the breathing?

Any thoughts?

Strange that as since ive changed mine i get some smoke if i thrash it in 3rd and then pull up and sit on tick over, mmmmmm........ the plot thickens

Flatout Phil
Friday 9th July 2010, 14:38
Strange that as since ive changed mine i get some smoke if i thrash it in 3rd and then pull up and sit on tick over, mmmmmm........ the plot thickens

Either that, or I have run out of oil, and you have shagged your valves...:)

brett craig
Friday 9th July 2010, 14:42
could be lol, dont think its valves as its not in the first 2 gears or at any other time, its only when i build up some good pressure in higher gears, could be same problem as yours though i.e pcv related

Joolz_850R
Monday 12th July 2010, 13:03
Hi all,

Not sure how the turbo system works on these cars, as I am yet to pick mine up, but if a recirc is already fitted I am assuming the the ECU has measured the air getting to the turbo. If you have an atmospheric DV, you effectivley lose this measured air and can potentially cause running issues. That was certainly something I experianced on my Vrs.