PDA

View Full Version : New tyres

Mark2cars
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 17:44
Unfortunately the T5 died and had to go so replaced with a sensible D5 estate.
Needs 2 new tyres on front and have been offered locally Prestivo, Primewell or Maxxis tyres. Any comments (good or bad) on these brands please.
Thanks, Mark

Mark2cars
Friday 9th July 2010, 06:05
OK, so no comments on the tyres question? Too late - getting some Pirellis P6000's this morning whatever, £200 fitted with VAT for two. Apart from that what will help this D5 handle a bit better and won't cost the earth? Especially if I go and get that chip done?
Cheers, Mark

Flatout Phil
Friday 9th July 2010, 08:10
I like Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - order from Tyremen.

JelT5
Friday 9th July 2010, 08:34
I use Vredestein as well; Ultrac Centos.

Alan M
Friday 9th July 2010, 08:38
Ultrac sessantas all round for £350 delivered and fitted. Around £315 delivered then take to a local tyre place for fitting so all should be in for £350ish on 17s.

t5_monkey
Friday 9th July 2010, 08:46
Got Ultrac Sessantas here - so much better than Pirellis, handle the wet weather fairly well too. Not too stiff but nice control and 'feel'.

wegal
Friday 9th July 2010, 09:03
Ultrac sessantas here as well, wouldnt fit anything else. Half the price of the big brands, twice the grip, and 50% better tyre life. Oh and they are quieter on the motorway, oh and the walls are stronger than the big brands, oh and the have a really nice rim protector...... I think i want to sleep with my tyres I love em so much lol

Alan M
Friday 9th July 2010, 10:40
mmmmmmmmmmmmm Ultracs..............lol

p fandango
Friday 9th July 2010, 12:42
is it just me who goes for the cheapest possible then? lol

lance
Friday 9th July 2010, 13:07
Uniroyal rainsport 2 are an excelent T5 tyre, best ive had including vredstrein. They came second to continental in a recent test in Evo too!

princepugh
Friday 9th July 2010, 15:36
I'd second the Vredesteins but have been running Fulda Carats, as a second choice, for the last year or so and they've lasted incredibly well - plus they are the usual XL rated with the rim protected sidewall.

Mark2cars
Saturday 10th July 2010, 21:09
Thanks for all the info - I'll keep it in mind for next time - now got 4 Pirellis so will let you know after 2 weeks in France,
cheers,
Mark

cookie
Saturday 10th July 2010, 22:10
OK, so no comments on the tyres question? Too late - getting some Pirellis P6000's this morning whatever, £200 fitted with VAT for two. Apart from that what will help this D5 handle a bit better and won't cost the earth? Especially if I go and get that chip done?
Cheers, Mark

as a rule P6000's ain't that well rated, various ways of improving handling, but IMHO fitting P6000's isn't one of them, remaps - do a lot of reading first (if its a manual bad choice can cause premature DMF failure), cheap plug in boxes can cause major grief (as tend to work by fooling sensors/ sending false info to ECM - not a wise idea), you don't say if auto or manual, but some have gone through a lot of pain on upping performance on Manuals, and handling can be vastly improved, but over kill can cause problems with speed humps, I did a good few passenger laps with Andy at Castle coombe in his D5 and was impressed, however having also been in a a stock D5 Geartronic it requires a lot of faith in the traction control, and if a passenger, a good grasp of the hand grab, if you are driving hard.

AFAIK Ashok has the most powerful 'D5' but has done a bit of 'cheating' to achieve the performance he has :eclipsee_

t5_monkey
Sunday 11th July 2010, 09:26
Pirellis? Nooooooooooo!

They're probably OK - but I had P6000's on the front when I got mine, and they were S**T.

Depends how fast you drive, they were OK pootling around, but rubbish traction in the wet.

If you've got em fitted now - try something different when they come up for replacement :)

Mark2cars
Friday 23rd July 2010, 20:15
Now you tell me! Oh well, I only put two on and the rear ones are due soon as well. Am I better off putting a couple of the other (better?) tyres on the front or rear when I change?
As for how fast I drive - well not particularly (round corners) with a car full of family, but the usual 80 - 85 on m'ways. It's an Auto, so the boy racer days are over.

t5_monkey
Friday 23rd July 2010, 22:50
Now you tell me! Oh well, I only put two on and the rear ones are due soon as well. Am I better off putting a couple of the other (better?) tyres on the front or rear when I change?
As for how fast I drive - well not particularly (round corners) with a car full of family, but the usual 80 - 85 on m'ways. It's an Auto, so the boy racer days are over.

Don't panic! It's not a disaster but you will enjoy and feel the difference when you change em.

Fronts are more important and will wear out way quicker - just upgrade em when they are done.

Joolz_850R
Monday 9th August 2010, 12:56
I like Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - order from Tyremen.

Hi Phil,

Have read a lot about these tyres. I was advised to stick to the original size of 205 rather than 215 as it changes the ratio and ruins the auto gearbox????

Any suggestions. Does tyremen cover all of uk? I was going for supply only as my wheels need a refurb first.

Thanks

smithy
Monday 9th August 2010, 14:08
the best alround tyres i found are ether falcon 452s or avon zv5s

streaky744
Wednesday 11th August 2010, 20:54
tyres always comes down to how much you want to spend.

everyone has there own choice.

maxxis are budgets and will do job just not well.
prestivo are made by yokohoma and give good level of grip but where out quick.
toyo's are good in wet or dry but soft and wear out quick.

pirelli low end of premium tyres

if i was getting a top end tyre then it would have to be either a continental , or goodyear F1. not much to match them.

but each to there own

Pliskin
Wednesday 11th August 2010, 21:07
Seeing as you already have the tyres, if you haven't already got one a strut brace tightens the front up nicely.