PDA

View Full Version : Missfire - or not???????

swordy21
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 12:22
Hello all. Looking for some suggestions and advice, or confirmation of what I think…….one of a couple or lots of things. (sorry gone on a bit I know)

I think I might have a minor misfire (or something else), although can’t find the reason. Recently the car has been running a bit “lumpy”, almost like running over light rumble strips and when you floor it, it seems to gather itself in (like drawing a breath) then feels to give almost a shudder before launching itself down the road like a howling banshee. I also get a mild rumble up through the floor, but I know what that is……..unless the misfire feeling is actually my wobbly drivetrain. – see below

I am wondering……

1) Air leak in the vac system (recently it blew one of the little rubber caps off the vac tree and gave a very similar effect, more pronounced though). Having lost the cap, and the spare one blanking the spare leg on my boost gauge T piece, fixed with a piece of silicone hose bridged over 2 of the stubby pipes. Don’t think that is leaking, nor is the T piece. Can’t find any other obvious leaks/splits in rubber elbows either.

2) Plugs – Running NGK Platinums, only 10K old and look in perfect condition. New dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads as well.

3) Induction system- MAF Screen is removed – am I confusing the MAF sensor? Didn’t happen immediately after I removed the screen though. Lambda light not on though.

4) Turbo, getting a bit past it (133K now), although 90% are M Way miles, not running high boost. It still boosts to 1.2 bar and will hold 1.1 bar steady. Spool up not as fast as should/could be I think. Wonder if the wastegate is a bit slack?

5) Fuel/Injectors – Dunno, but running on Optimax and run Redex in every other tank. Mind you I did run out the other week, so wonder if I’ve clogged up the filter or injectors a bit. Fuel economy is still OK at 28ish mpg.

6) Oil – would running too much have these effects? No blue smoke, and just changed it last week, exactly 5.9L. Also running a bottle of Molyslip in this time.

What I do know is, front OS wheel hub bearing is running dry, as all the grease was plastered over the inside of the wheel rim. New one on order from GSF. Not sure about tracking as well, uneven wear on outer rims of both front tyres, although tracking was checked twice, put this down to bearing. Brakes judder a bit as well, under heavy breaking, again put this down to bearing, discs look OK. FrNS calliper may be binding a little. Will sort that out soon as well.

I would like to have most of this sorted before Avon on the 16th. I am sure it is quite simple (hopes).

Ps – Anyone want to help me change my wheel hub over on the 16th?????????

Thanks Muchly

Jon

Vikingxl
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 15:06
I had a misfire the other week first coil pack was dead and the first two spark plugs were cracked

swordy21
Wednesday 6th July 2005, 10:53
Think sorted now. Kinked vac line I put in. Now replaced with original. Mind you Lambda light now on as I disconnected MAF sensor and forgot to re-connect prior to starting :slap: . Hasn't reset yet. If it doesn't by this evening, off to Volvo to get codes read........B*g*er £40 lighter.