PDA

View Full Version : Replacement hoses for 850 t5 '96?

850t5
Tuesday 6th July 2010, 23:45
I'm looking to replace all the hoses in my engine bay with silicone/braided hose. Is there such thing as a taylored hose kit available or a list of all pipe sizes to make ordering what I need easier?

ATB,
Danny.

Crazy_C
Tuesday 6th July 2010, 23:59
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAMCO-SILICONE-TURBO-HOSE-KIT-VOLVO-850-S70-V70-/270519910815?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3efc3e419f#ht_4429wt_1137

And then get some silicone hose from Halfords, 5mm & 8mm diameter for all the little vac lines :)

Hope this helps

walter leever
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 05:49
there is a tailored set availeble(i got one)it's from stylin motors(usa)

especially for the 850.

www.stylinmotors.com

gr,walter

850t5
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 11:44
Thanks lads, thats no end of help :D

Cheers,
Danny.

yellowt5r
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 12:49
id go with samco imo. been told volvo ones are the same anyway so really its just for looks.

p fandango
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:19
id go with samco imo. been told volvo ones are the same anyway so really its just for looks.
Volvo are rubber & will perish over time, Samco are silicone & last alot better

princepugh
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:23
You might want to consider internally braided SAE fuel hose as well - I replaced all the vac hoses on my TCV with this stuff and it works really well.

yellowt5r
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:23
how much longer? does it justify the price?

p fandango
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:31
how much longer? does it justify the price?
the link is the dearest i've seen the kit sold for, but i've also got no idea on the price Volvo charge so not sure how they compare price wise

princepugh
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:36
If you search for SAE fuel hose on eBay you'll get an idea of the cost for comparison - if you do go down the Silicone route make sure you get good stuff (Samco reinforced) as the guys have recommended. I've read that cheap silicone hoses can fold under operation (especially the small diameter stuff).

yellowt5r
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:37
so how can you say they last longer when you dont know?

p fandango
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:44
so how can you say they last longer when you dont know?
so silicone perishes now then does it? Perhaps as your the one asking if the price is justified you can give me exact prices for the Volvo pipes so we can all make a price comparison

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 13:49
According to Samco:
Silicone offers many advantages over other forms of elastomers. It is well known for its use in food, pharmaceutical and other clean industry applications. It is a resilient material capable of maintaining many of its properties at extremely low and high temperatures. Some grades of silicone rubber can remain flexible, and show low levels of compression set, down to temperatures as low as -100 °C and as high as 315 °C. It is naturally electrically insulating but can be compounded to offer high resistance for the bleeding of static charges or to offer a low resistance to conduct signal voltages. High tear resistance, good elongation at break and tensile strength are some of the other characteristics of silicone. Fluorosilicones provide resistance to many solvents, including petrol.

According to me:
Well, they look pretty, but not sure there is much more to it than that in the real world of daily driving. The one area where i would be interested to know about durability is in those little vacumn pipes and small turbo water pipes that harden and go brittle. I don't know if Samco hoses would prevent this. I can't be bothered with the maths to be honest :)

p fandango
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 14:02
The one area where i would be interested to know about durability is in those little vacumn pipes and small turbo water pipes that harden and go brittle. I don't know if Samco hoses would prevent this. I can't be bothered with the maths to be honest :)
the smaller diameter silicone hoses aren't very good, they expand & compress easily with boost & vac pressure. Your better off using internal braided fuel line for them

850t5
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 14:34
So it looks like samco hoses for the kit and then internal braided fuel line for the smaller diameter stuff. Sound good to me. Time to spend a couple of days off grazing my knuckles and swearing a lot lol Cheers to all, Danny.

p fandango
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 15:09
So it looks like samco hoses for the kit and then internal braided fuel line for the smaller diameter stuff. Sound good to me. Time to spend a couple of days off grazing my knuckles and swearing a lot lol Cheers to all, Danny.
yeh, as i said tho i'm sure you can get the Samco kits cheaper than that. Ah the fun of motoring, get the plasters ready lol

yellowt5r
Wednesday 7th July 2010, 18:47
so silicone perishes now then does it? Perhaps as your the one asking if the price is justified you can give me exact prices for the Volvo pipes so we can all make a price comparison

will look in to it.

850t5
Thursday 8th July 2010, 01:52
You might want to consider internally braided SAE fuel hose as well - I replaced all the vac hoses on my TCV with this stuff and it works really well.

I've been searching high and low on the net for internally braided SAE fuel hose and can find nowt!? Does it have another name or can someone post a link etc to where I can buy some?

p fandango
Thursday 8th July 2010, 06:11
I've been searching high and low on the net for internally braided SAE fuel hose and can find nowt!? Does it have another name or can someone post a link etc to where I can buy some?
i got mine from the local A1 motor store, motor car accessory shops should have it tho. They sell it precut in metre packs, you normally get 2 jubilee clips with them