PDA

View Full Version : what happens if i use super unleaded in a standard t5 anything? jet washed engine

watchmytracer
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 20:45
I put some in as i could not be bothered to qeue up and now car seems lumpy when giving it some welly i am not sure which it could be i changed oil filller cap couple of days ago which eliminated oil slick and cleaned out around plugs i then gunked and then jetwashed as it was hot (not too much) now is it the fuel or have i got water in something?. now i have seen a split in a pipe coming off the top of something .I dont have a haynes so best discribed as being the round metal thing about 60mm thick to the right of the turbo when facing the car !!! sorry for crap discription

claymore
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 20:51
I don't think the petrol would do any harm, if anything it would improve things.

pookie
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:04
The petrol change would not cause this, as Claymore rightly says. It is most likely that you have moisture in one of the electronic termination plugs/sockets some where. Replace the split pipe A.S.A.P. as Vacuum leaks can cause all sorts of Problems.

Pookie

t5 stealth
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:20
check the pipework,any splits or broken pipes will affect it,but if youve jet washed the engine it might be that the plug holes have water in them which will cause a missfire which maybe more noticable under load....ie acceleration

MC_Bob
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:22
I managed to get water into the dizzy cap when cleaning it, was old and the seal was shot, failed to run.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 22:02
I have always run my turbo Volvos on super unleaded (VPower to be precise). It is the recommended fuel grade for all T5 and R - the engine management system automatically retards the ignition when a lower quality fuel is used. Yes you can use 95 ron but why have a T5 if you are going to compromise it's ultimate output? Get a 2 litre non-turbo instead if you want to save money :).

Sounds like you have a split hose somewhere. Fix it. And jetwashing KILLS engines - even if it does clean them up a bit. So don't do it.

LiamT4
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 22:29
I have always run my turbo Volvos on super unleaded (VPower to be precise). It is the recommended fuel grade for all T5 and R - the engine management system automatically retards the ignition when a lower quality fuel is used. Yes you can use 95 ron but why have a T5 if you are going to compromise it's ultimate output? Get a 2 litre non-turbo instead if you want to save money :).

Sounds like you have a split hose somewhere. Fix it. And jetwashing KILLS engines - even if it does clean them up a bit. So don't do it.

I know a local car valeting place, where the guy will not jetwash/steamclean engines because of the potential problems it can cause. He says that while it can be fine to do it sometimes, its just not worth the hassle it can cause, especially on our 5cylinder engines.

watchmytracer
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 22:38
Ta all