PDA

View Full Version : Wierd steering 855

ripper
Monday 4th July 2005, 17:53
When travelling on dual carriageway/m-way 50mph+ and if i have to brake at all, i feel the steering wheel turn itself slightly and have to be aware that i need to correct the line which i'm travelling and car then steers perfectly straight, upon accelerating again i have to do exactly the same thing; but have to correct my line in the opposite direction and once again it steers normally again, this happens every time and it is becoming somewhat concerning.

My question is: is it possible that there is play in my steering rack and if so is it also possible to adjust the rack to take any play out of it

or could it be lower arm bushes etc...?

Any thought or advice would be appreciated..

farmermo
Monday 4th July 2005, 17:57
do your front tyres both have similar a mounts of tread?
uneven tread has caused this on previous cars of mine.
also you could try tyre pressures.

ripper
Monday 4th July 2005, 18:21
do your front tyres both have similar a mounts of tread?
uneven tread has caused this on previous cars of mine.
also you could try tyre pressures.
Cheers farmermo,will give those items a check something that obvious didn't even cross my mind to be checked, always see £££ notes in front of my eyes when something goes wrong with my car!!

Vikingxl
Monday 4th July 2005, 18:25
Still lots of pound notes even if its just the tyres.

P.S. Still not seen you around Bromsgrove yet.

ripper
Monday 4th July 2005, 18:32
Still lots of pound notes even if its just the tyres.

P.S. Still not seen you around Bromsgrove yet.
Cheers for that viking!! but don't wanna be buying tyres if i can help it if you know what i mean.

As for not seeing me, that's probably because my car is actually a stealth concept, one of very few made....!! Either that or my windows are that dark now i can't see which roads i'm driving along in Bromsgrove anymore, at least i think i', still in bromsgrove now.... :drunk:

By the way your tints look great. Bet your dogs will appreciate it.

nikgallagher
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 07:50
The rack on my clio was badly worn, and it would veer off to one side when accelerating and braking with my hands holding the wheel dead straight. Noticeable amounts of play in the steering wheel before any movement happened at the wheels (as in MOT). Quite disconcerting overtaking at speed.

nobananas
Wednesday 6th July 2005, 23:03
If you've checked your tyres etc could be several things. My 850 was 'floaty ' and wandered around a lot before I discovered the inner TCA bushed were completely knackered ! It was a different car after I replaced them. Also check for knackered balljoints, track rod ends, track rod inner joints. Something is kicking out of alignment when you accelarate hard or brake hard.

gillespie
Wednesday 6th July 2005, 23:23
If you've checked your tyres etc could be several things. My 850 was 'floaty ' and wandered around a lot before I discovered the inner TCA bushed were completely knackered ! It was a different car after I replaced them. Also check for knackered balljoints, track rod ends, track rod inner joints. Something is kicking out of alignment when you accelarate hard or brake hard.

Mine was the same, There was no free play in the bushes but they were soft so the wishbones moved slightly, out on the road it used to go in its own direction under braking.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th July 2005, 01:49
Hopefully when we go to the pub next week - I can have a quick butchers and check.

ripper
Thursday 7th July 2005, 18:22
Hopefully when we go to the pub next week - I can have a quick butchers and check.
Dave that would be excellent cheers.

I will give you a shout on your mobile next monday to arrange meeting you ok?