PDA

View Full Version : Service Light Reset & No Electrics

apollo996
Monday 4th July 2005, 12:54
I'm probably being thick but how do you reset the service light on a 1996 Volvo 850 T5. I've looked at a link on the site but its just pics of cars?

Also, my ex-police 850 T5 has had its electric window motors & assemblies removed? Why would the police remove them?

Finally, I have the switches but my heated seats don't work either! I think they are disconnected but has anyone had these sorts of issues with an ex-police Volvo they purchased as well?

Cheers

splatt
Monday 4th July 2005, 13:05
Do a search on 'service light', theres loads of info on this..
Pat

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th July 2005, 16:00
Heated seat connectors get kicked and bashed by the passenger - there is a thread on this - but essentially by removing the 4 bolts that hold down the seat and by sliding it out of the key hole retainers (in the inner chassis) - you can access and see where the wires are broke. Dont remove the seat out of the car - just tilt it forward against the dash.
I had to do it when I first got mine and it is quite common. Generally they detach going into the thermostat in the seat foam underneath.

Any main dealer or good Volvo independant will be able to reset the service light, via the ODBII port under the coin tray.

Tomcat
Monday 4th July 2005, 17:45
Because yours is a 96 you will have to take it to either an independent or a main stealer and ask them to put the service light out for you. You need to plug a device in to the access port under the coin holder, you can buy service light reset tools reasonably cheap if you want to do it yourself. I bought one a few years ago but cant remember how much I paid I'm afraid.

As for ex-police I found all sorts of stuff either disconnected or cut.
As Dave says the heated seats are probably not working because the wires have come out, but you dont need to unbolt the seat. Push the seat as far back as it will go then look under the seat from the front, there should be two spade connectors going into the bottom of the seat. If there aren't then the wires will be on the floor, push down on the base off the seat and you will see a hole with two connectors inside.Push the spade connectors back on( they only fit one way as they're different sizes), and your seats should be working angain.

Martinr
Monday 4th July 2005, 17:54
As it is a 96 it is worth getting the service recall on the heated seats done.

Easy to check if this vehicle has had it done simply ring a dealer and give them your VIN number. If the recall hasn't been actioned they will do it FOC as it is a safety item

I didn't let on that mine weren't working, took it to the local main dealer and they sorted it under the recall FOC :)

MattB
Monday 4th July 2005, 23:36
As it is a 96 it is worth getting the service recall on the heated seats done.

Easy to check if this vehicle has had it done simply ring a dealer and give them your VIN number. If the recall hasn't been actioned they will do it FOC as it is a safety item

I didn't let on that mine weren't working, took it to the local main dealer and they sorted it under the recall FOC :)

According to the poster that my main dealer gave me, the recal affects cars with the following last 6 digits of the chassis number:

saloon - 267427 to 393364
estate - 175991 to 340364

They state that there may be other factors which cause the heated seats to not work - these 'reapirs' may be chargeable.

My seats did not work either - car did not fall into the recall category - as it turns out the wiring was damaged in exactly the way that WDave said. Having repaired and reconnected the wiring, my seats now work!

MattB
Monday 4th July 2005, 23:38
Because yours is a 96 you will have to take it to either an independent or a main stealer and ask them to put the service light out for you. You need to plug a device in to the access port under the coin holder, you can buy service light reset tools reasonably cheap if you want to do it yourself. I bought one a few years ago but cant remember how much I paid I'm afraid.......

Although the garage that have just serviced my car have all the OBDII gizmo's etc - they were unable to reset my service light (1996 model). They are currently looking into it and will call me back in to reset (hopefully!)