PDA

View Full Version : smoky, lumpy diesel

p fandango
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 07:24
i know the above problems aren't exactly rare for a diesel (ok they leave the factory like that), but Bonny has started doing both excessively since the weekend. Had a car full & when you put the engine under load she gave a high-pitch screech, i assumed it was the DMF starting to give way but my old man thought of an air leak (which could explain the noise, air under pressure whistling). Now with an empty car the noise has died off but you can feel her hesitating now & quite a bit of black smoke when you feel her backing off, which does point to an air leak to me

so the question, i haven't had a look under the bonnet yet but are there any pipes that are prone to leaking, or is it the intercooler finally gave in?

many thanks Duane

Liddo
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 08:15
I seen a thread the other day, and it showed a hose that had collapsed on itself under pressure, but, i cant for the life of me think which one it was :slap:
Im sure it was one near the EGR area, towards the intercooler.

Im sure some D5 expert will help you soon

Hope you get her sorted

;)

v70torslanda
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 14:40
If it sounds like it should be painted yellow with 'Ingersoll Rand' stencilled down both sides then it's odds on you need an intercooler. :)

Sandwiched between the rad and the a/c condenser, see if it's covered in sticky oil. It will probably have so many holes in it you'll need a clarinet player to show you how to hold it . . . ! ;)

Also check the hose FROM the air filter pipe (steel) ONTO the turbo inlet. Famous for having a MAHOOSIVE rent in it and strangling the MAF 'cos of the air leak i.e. Not all the air going into the engine is going thru' the MAF.

Result is overfuelling (black smoke) and no boost (pishing sound)

HTH

p fandango
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 16:13
If it sounds like it should be painted yellow with 'Ingersoll Rand' stencilled down both sides then it's odds on you need an intercooler. :)

Sandwiched between the rad and the a/c condenser, see if it's covered in sticky oil. It will probably have so many holes in it you'll need a clarinet player to show you how to hold it . . . ! ;)

Also check the hose FROM the air filter pipe (steel) ONTO the turbo inlet. Famous for having a MAHOOSIVE rent in it and strangling the MAF 'cos of the air leak i.e. Not all the air going into the engine is going thru' the MAF.

Result is overfuelling (black smoke) and no boost (pishing sound)
the front slam panel's been covered in oil since the day i bought it, so odds are the intercooler has finally gave up altogether

but i'll check the airbox hose just incase i am lucky

many thanks

p fandango
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 16:14
I seen a thread the other day, and it showed a hose that had collapsed on itself under pressure, but, i cant for the life of me think which one it was :slap:
Im sure it was one near the EGR area, towards the intercooler.

Im sure some D5 expert will help you soon

Hope you get her sorted

;)
it seems to struggle & cough more when your trying to keep her steady than when at WOT, which points away from a hose collapsing but i'll have to pop the bonnet & check it anyway

Tomcat
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 16:23
Well go look then!, people need to know,lol...

Sheesh some people.....

p fandango
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 16:29
Well go look then!, people need to know,lol...

Sheesh some people.....
if it was BT then i'd be straight out there messing, but its a bloody diesel lol

& besides she's still doing 48.7mpg so i can resist opening the bonnet for a bit longer yet lol

p fandango
Friday 18th June 2010, 21:09
hmm, well while on my travels this morning put my foot down to overtake a slower van (i didn't think it was possible either) put she gave a short puff of thick black smoke & the lumpyness seems to have cleared. Still not perfect & gives a bit of smoke on a good thrash, but it certainly cleared it up quite a bit

PaulZX
Saturday 5th February 2011, 21:08
Mine turned a bit smoky today on the way home, black smoke, almost constant, wispy when cruising, but there, and thick black under load....

I'll check for air leaks tomorrow...