PDA

View Full Version : Strip of rust

Happygilmore78
Monday 14th June 2010, 09:24
Found a blimmin strip of rust on sill on Sunday, well pee'd as its only going to spread, and another thankyou to the harsh winter we had, and salt that remedied it :(

Do Chipsaway only deal in dents/alloy/scratches, or is this something they can deal with also? Just dont see the point of taking it to an autobody shop for some rust.

Altogether there are two small areas, and this, the biggy

Cheers

scooter
Monday 14th June 2010, 12:13
you could sand it down and use rust treatment then repaint the rust well never come back

Happygilmore78
Monday 14th June 2010, 13:04
Aye, its just my repainting skills are not the best at 'Blending in ' etc, so would probably make a dos ear of it

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th June 2010, 13:33
You can do the prep - sand it down with 300 grit apply kurust or similar - then get chips away to paint it. Where is the rust?

Happygilmore78
Monday 14th June 2010, 14:46
Aye, your right, could do.

The rust is above the rubber/plastic type of base on the bottom of the sill.

So as you are looking at the drivers side, its below the door, on the very bottom of the cars sill before it turns to rubber/plastic strip and curves underneath. It is towards the front of the car, about 3 inches back from the mudguard and is about 15cm long x 6cm (at its highest) from memory. All from blistering, but bottom of it has already 'popped' and exposing rust.

The other 2 are quite small and dont bother me to much, but this is annoying

My car has althete's foot, i told him not to shower with the dodgy car across the road

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 01:28
I'd be happy to help get it prepped. I can't finish the paint - but I can get the rest fairly good.

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 09:13
Cheers buddy, going to see what my old mans upto this weekend - but might take you up on that offer.

Will let you know how it goes this weekend

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 12:13
Chips Away will do rust but it's only a temporary measure and they don't guarantee it. I had a couple of small spots done by the local guy and that's what he told me. And guess what ? Yep the rust is back.

It's best to set to and clear the rust out, treat it and fill, flat it down and make it look nice, then call the magic spray gun man from Chips.

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 13:56
Cheers fella, its times like this when you wish you had a mate or relative in the bizz - mind you saying that, i would probably change its colour every year :)

nobananas
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 22:45
To be honest with you, I've chased rust round old motors since I was twelve and I haven't found a rust treatment that works yet !. If it's only surface rust then a sand down to bare metal and repaint may cure it, if the metalwork is pitted then you could blast it with a spot-blast gun with some alu-oxide powder (this is what I tend to do) to clear the rust from the pitting but it's still only 50/50 that it will come back. The only way to be 100 percent is to cut the corrosion out and weld in a new piece of steel, a bit drastic but it's usually the only way.

Happygilmore78
Thursday 17th June 2010, 09:51
Yes, i know it will come back, and i'll be ready for it :) just dont like it actually being there, so am prepared to keep on at it really. It looks to be only surface rust, so may be in luck.

I know what you mean about pitting, my other car had bad pitting around the arches (it was stripped back to metal) and we ended up cutting out the metal as it was that bad and father welding in new pieces - in fact quite a lot around the whole car, but it is nearly 32 years old :) not like Victor

jonno12
Thursday 17th June 2010, 11:45
use a clean and strip wheel it fits in a drill get all the rust out with that then sand it rust treat it rub it down the primer it and ring up chips away if you was closer to me i would have done it for ya buddy btu a tad bit to far .... chips away will do it but you might b better off getting a smaller firm to do it look up smart repairs in your area

Happygilmore78
Thursday 17th June 2010, 12:54
Cheers buddy