PDA

View Full Version : Brake fade.

LiamT4
Saturday 12th June 2010, 12:56
After some "spirited" driving today, i was getting a lot a brake fade and was wondering if it was more to do with tha disks or the pads. I'm asking because in my t4 i never had any probs like this with fade, even when i got it and it had the standard discs but with ferodo pads, certainly never happened when i had grooved discs and redstuff pads.

I know the s70 does weigh a fair bit more but it has got bigger discs (302s vs 280s) and they are crossed drilled which i thought would make a big difference with brake fade (don't know the make as they where already on when i got it), so am wondering if the pads are poor.

BTW, the s40 did have braided brake hoses on it aswell, not sure how much this helps, because they were also already on the car.

LiamT4
Saturday 12th June 2010, 22:39
Any info? When it comes to brake fade is it more to do with the discs or the pads? Would having braided brake hoses make a big difference?

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th June 2010, 00:13
I have braided hoses, dot 5.1 fluid, drilled and grooved discs (only 280mm though), and ebc yellowstuff pads and I still get brake fade, but that is after a lot more heavier braking.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 13th June 2010, 10:59
How new is your brake fluid?
Have you boiled it?

I suffer from emmence brake fade at the moment, which is down to my discs being old and tired...

LiamT4
Sunday 13th June 2010, 14:25
The discs/pads/fluid are all about 1 year old, done by the previous owner. What are the signs that would tell me if i had boiled the fluid? I should add that it happend after very hard braking down a fairly steep hill from "some" speed and for the next couple of mins the brakes were awfull.

LiamT4
Monday 14th June 2010, 12:17
I can definatly tell that the brakes aint performing as they did, takes more effort and the pedal goes further to the floor even with just moderate pressure. So will be getting the brake fluid changed next week.

GregE102
Monday 14th June 2010, 17:55
I used to Get brake fade So switched to 302's with DS2500 and I never got fade again no matter how hard I drove it, Later i switch to Volvo pads with Volvo disks they where just as good but with out the squeal of the DS2500's
I did have braided hoses and a new master cylinder and normal break fluid even though I did originally ask for 5.1

So if you want it to be a thing of the past and can afford it switch to 302's and get your lines bradded to.

Just my experiences!

Greg

Al115
Monday 14th June 2010, 17:58
Brake fade is a terrifying experience the first time you get it... amazed me how Volvo could get the brakes on the T4 so right and on the T5 so wrong... :D

LiamT4
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:41
I drive an s70r so its already got the 302s on, cross drilled too, but don't know what make the discs or pads are, because they were already on.
The brakes on my phase 2 t4 were the best i have experienced on a normal car, although they were slightly (pads and brake hoses) uprated even when i got it.

GregE102
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 00:21
I drive an s70r so its already got the 302s on, cross drilled too, but don't know what make the discs or pads are, because they were already on.
The brakes on my phase 2 t4 were the best i have experienced on a normal car, although they were slightly (pads and brake hoses) uprated even when i got it.

Whip the wheels of and check the disks they should have a wear indicator on them also take out your pads and check them too, you will soon see if they need replacing or not?

Greg

LiamT4
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 20:20
Whip the wheels of and check the disks they should have a wear indicator on them also take out your pads and check them too, you will soon see if they need replacing or not?

Greg

The discs are fine, no lip at all. Its a bit difficult for me to take the wheels off as i don't have a jack! lol. Not had the car long and it wasn't 1 of the things i checked when buying it. Must remember to get 1 soon.