PDA

View Full Version : external wastegate VS internal

MWT5
Thursday 10th June 2010, 18:25
hi guys
i have done a search but cant find a definate answer
does an external wastegate make a big differance on a t5 engine .
i know and understand the modifications needed to the volvo turbo to run an external wastegate. is there a turbo that has no internal wastegate that is suitable for the t5 engine.

t5 pete
Thursday 10th June 2010, 18:48
you can use turbos that dont have a internal wastegate on a t5 no problem most people say its alo better to controll the boost through them but it all depends on what turbo you want to use and how far you want to go also they can be pretty expensive to buy depending on which one you get i know people with both eg the tial one and then the cheeper ones and both are happy with them also a custom manifold would be needed and custom down pipe.
What turbo are you lookng to use

MWT5
Thursday 10th June 2010, 20:55
hi t5 pete
i havent decided which way to go really,i was wondering if it was worth while or better spending the money on other parts of the engine. the custom manifold and downpipe arent a problem as the engine will be in a vx corsa used for racing.
is there any mods that would increase torque rather than going for big horses as torque is more important than bhp to me.

t5 pete
Thursday 10th June 2010, 20:59
Tbh you would be much better fitting either a turbo charged red top engine of a cosworth engine etc in the corsa due to the size of the t5 engine and also the extra work needed but just look for a good turbo, on a corsa a gt28-gt30 would make it fly but its getting the power down.

t5 pete
Thursday 10th June 2010, 21:00
Also forgot to mention if just running the standard t5's turbo there are remaps avaible and do make a good difference and give good tourque figures