PDA

View Full Version : 855 Wont Start

gibbo
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 10:28
Came home last night car running as normal
Came out this morning the b*t*h just turns over.
It doesn't even try to fire it just turns over.

Did i read another thread that the same happened to someone and it turned out to be the immobilizer / alarm?

Only had limited time to investigate till a mate picked me up for work but all the silly things are ok fuses etc?

Anyone got any ideas?

Gibbo

Andrew
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 10:42
I would say it is the immobalizer.

Try resetting it when you get home and if all else fails take out the fuses.
Andrew.

marc1401
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 19:02
Came home last night car running as normal
Came out this morning the b*t*h just turns over.
It doesn't even try to fire it just turns over.

Did i read another thread that the same happened to someone and it turned out to be the immobilizer / alarm?

Only had limited time to investigate till a mate picked me up for work but all the silly things are ok fuses etc?

Anyone got any ideas?

Gibbo

The same thing has happened to a few of us mate, in my case the car rejected my PPC prog and returned an "incorrect configuration" setting and turned over and over but wouldn't catch. After £330 it was mended the dealer reloaded the 2005 ECU software and it ran great. Til yesterday that is, same thing happened when I reloaded the PPC. He's reloaded it again and I've consigned the PPC to the rubbish bin!

Others have stated it was the immobilisor and that it cost a bit to put right.
Giood luck with yours mate!

p fandango
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 19:07
my moneys on the camshaft position sensor

Tomcat
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 19:38
Er.........call me stupid, but.. er whats a PPC?.

p fandango
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 19:42
Er.........call me stupid, but.. er whats a PPC?.
i'm sure its a ECU remap done thru the OBD socket

marc1401
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 20:03
i'm sure its a ECU remap done thru the OBD socket

Pedro - Spot on mate.

Tomcat - The PPC is an engine programme which the car uses to know how much fuel, air, boost etc to mix up to run. It's similar to the RICA upgrade e.g. extra power but dissimilar because you buy a handheld device which plugs into the OBD port and reloads the new software into your existing ECU.

In my case, the new software I loaded onto the ECU regularly corrupted itself and took all the other onboard computers with it.

For example, PPC works fine for two weeks then goes wrong because for whatever reason the software corrupts itself. The car thinks that something isn't right and refuses to run at all in order to protect itself!

Recently, I stupidly reloaded the PPC and surprise(!) two weeks later it makes the car think that another component part is malfunctioning and refuses to start again.

I've learnt my lesson good and proper mate, no more PPC. IT's the PITS! (IMHO)

PPC - :mgshoot:

dave
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 23:20
i would complain about, to who sold it to you and bsr them selfs

dave

marc1401
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 09:20
Definitely, all in all from buying the unit and spending a fortune on "repairs" its cost me just under £1000 all because of the PPC Unit. Not a happy Volvo driver at all mate! :rant:

gibbo
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 11:21
I would say it is the immobalizer.

Try resetting it when you get home and if all else fails take out the fuses.
Andrew.

How do you reset the immobiliser?
Does it reset itself when the alarm is re-programmed?

Gibbo

gibbo
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 11:23
my moneys on the camshaft position sensor

Is this a main stealer fix?
Any ideas how much if it is the problem?

I'm getting worried now!!! :eek:

Gibbo

p fandango
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 11:33
Is this a main stealer fix?
Any ideas how much if it is the problem?

I'm getting worried now!!! :eek:
they cost about £80 & dead easy to replace, 3 torque screws & a plug (but check your codes first, there is a code for the sensor so it will tell you)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2086/dsc001773mw.jpg

gibbo
Friday 8th July 2005, 10:59
Where do i start?
They say bad luck / things happen in 3's, well.
1 Car won't start on Sat morning.
2 It was our annual Boxing Presentation (we award trophies & certificates). We get a call 2pm on the sat saying that the van with the trophies in it, had gone missing on the M25. 40 boxers with ALL of their family & friends and no trophies
3 Sun am get up with hangover. Decide to go for a run (mistake) The dog decides to chase my lad around the field. The dog trips him up. I'm watching whats happening whilst still running and smash straight into a goal post F**k that hurt.

You would think nothing else could happen!
WRONG?
The trophies turn up on monday open the box the idiots had sent golfing trophies :yikes:
MON Called a very nice man to tow the car to VT
They send the patrol bloke to my work when the car is outside my house. :doh:
Finally gets to VT on Tues PM

Call from VT Wed CAR SORTED. Cam sensor (cheers pedro)
Got Strut Brace fitted aswell :biggrin:

THURS At this point i'm waiting for the 6th stroke of bad luck. I get a train from Milton Keynes to New Street transfer to Bromsgrove.
The MK train is delayed for obvious reasons. I get the transfer with seconds to spare.
Get to VT get the car, now running sweet.
No mishaps going home.
Handling transformed.
Happy days.

Big thanks to everyone who answered the original thread & to VT for the prompt & friendly service.

Gibbo