PDA

View Full Version : Actuator

brett craig
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 17:13
having fully serviced and stage zero'd my S70 its been running sweet but a little slower than expected, ive changed all the hoses and fitted a boost gauge which confirmed a peak boost of 0.5bar in 3rd upwards.
Having checked the actuator i have found theres no play in the shaft but can easily move the rod in and out whilst squeeking its nuts of.

what bar should this run in standard form and does it sound like the actuator is knackered ?

the cars a pre me7 98 s70 t5

Jamest5r
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 19:37
Should be set around 4psi mate, need a gauge and a length of tube to test the opening pressure, any decent garage can do it.

brett craig
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 19:53
should the actuator be so easy to move ?

MC_Bob
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 19:59
Yes,

As above only 4 psi allows it to open :)

brett craig
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 20:35
thats sounded like better news lol, still cannot think why i'm only hitting 0.5bar though, the search continues.............

princepugh
Thursday 10th June 2010, 09:41
If you can get the heatshield off it's gonna be worth taking the actuator arm off the wastegate shaft and checking the wastegate operates smoothly across its full working range. Also, it you've got sqeaking, it could be that the arm/ shaft joint is corroded and might be a bit sticky - wire brush it up and assemble with high temp copper grease. Whilst you're at it, you could calibrate for base boost.

brett craig
Thursday 10th June 2010, 20:04
heatshield came off last night, 1 bolt straight out the other snapped soon as i put a spanner to it !!!

i'll pull the actuator off on sat and see whats what with it.

princepugh
Thursday 10th June 2010, 22:33
Keep us informed - I'm in the process of doing something similar so interested in how you get on and what you find.

brett craig
Saturday 12th June 2010, 11:46
well checked the actuator today, the arm sat over the wastegate without any tension, ive wound the end in 2 turns so that the eyelet is about halfway over the wastegate, this way i only have a very very short stretch to hook it over. boost is now smooth and progressive all through the rev range. i have a feeling that there is a problem on my gauge though as even though the car is quicker it is still only hitting 0.5bar regardless.

totaly lost as to the cause if it is not that !!!

brett craig
Sunday 13th June 2010, 11:54
problem solved. turns out to be a crap gauge even though it was brand new !!

put my mates on last night and it reads 10psi on full chat, sempt to be even quicker so wonder if i was loosing boost pressure through the gauge aswell.

is 10psi about right for these as standard ????

princepugh
Sunday 13th June 2010, 12:21
Hiya, yes I believe 10 PSI / 0.7 BAR is standard boost. Glad you got it sorted!