PDA

View Full Version : Clay Detailing

v70torslanda
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 00:31
This Sunday there is a Manchester meet. I don't want to let the side down and have people thinking I drive a rat so I was thinking of getting a clay bar on the jam-jar and maybe using that 'Ice Shine' wax. I also have AutoGlym.

Good idea? If it's a BAD idea please tell me why.

When I got my car (3 yrs old) the dealer sealed the paint with DiamondBrite which is supposed to be a 5 yr protection, am I wasting my time with a clay bar? Again if so, why?

As I only have Saturday to do the job, will I have enough time to complete the job without a garage to work in? (weather permitting) bearing in mind I also have to detail the black plastic surfaces, wheels, interior etc.

Not really a noob when it comes to polish but a bit of a detailing amateur. Any tips? This is what she looks like with a bit of time at the mo':

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/france2009jmk2005.jpg

All help and tips appreciated.

luv'n'stuff

J

RobbieH
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 09:52
Run your fingers over the paint work. Does it feel like like sandpaper? If so claying is worth it to get rid of the crap embedded in the paint.

I've just done mine last BH Monday. I'm not the world's best detailer by any means but most of the paintwork is now baby bottom smooth. The last full clean I'd done was last September ahead of winter. Just been washing it since.

wash with AG shampoo and rinse
go round with tar remover (AG stuff) where neccesary
wipe over trim with white spirit to remove the old stuff
wash again and rinse
Clay (I used Megs clay kit)
wash again and rinse
dry off (those microfibre towels you got me were ideal)
AG Super Resin Polish, leave for 20 mins to dry off, polish off
AG Extra Gloss Protection (two layers, allowing 20 mins between each)
final polish off (microfibre cloths again)

clean glass with some glass cleaner we used to use at my old job for cleaning the windows in the chemical reactors and treat with Helfrauds equivalent to Rain-X.

treat trims with some black dye stuff from fleabay (still want to get that Wurth stuff) and tyre walls with AG Instant Tyre Dressing

Wheels have been refurbished recently and treated with wheel wax so they just needed a wash off and dry.

Cockpit hoovered out, carpets shaken clean, surfaces wiped over with Armourall cockpit wipes and a microfibre cloth.

Started at midday and finished at 7ish in the evening. Simples LOL.

Oh, last but not least, clean the zorst pipe with Autosol.

dave854
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 10:49
that is some dedication!

RobbieH
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 12:22
that is some dedication!

As John well knows I look after my car :D

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 17:31
You can use Tardis - to reduce the effort and risk involved in claying. I have found it extremely effective on bonded contaminent such as bugs & tar - particular if you are looking to save your wrists.

Sonus green is a nice clay - not too aggresive. Make sure you use plenty of detailing spray (1 in 10 with water) to ensure a smooth ride! I use Megs last touch. A gallon is about 15 quid and lasts for a long time.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 18:50
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/vikingt5/Various/morph.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 15:07
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/vikingt5/Various/morph.jpg
Guess you could also make a green morph out of it when finished?