PDA

View Full Version : Noise!

bobbych
Monday 7th June 2010, 13:15
Ok, last weekend my 850 Turbo started making a noise. It started happening after a 300 mile trip, and i could hear it quietly in a straight line. It starts around 40mph, and goes through to 60, then it goes away.

It also gets worse when i corner to the left only. When turning left at say 40 mph, it sounds louder, and is deffo coming from the left side, but could not locate front or rear.

Now the noise, is like a whirring noise, like a wheel bearing, but not sure. Like I say, it only happens between 40-60 and goes away above 60, so not sure about it being a bearing.

does anyone have any ideas? I have jacked the car up, and tried to check for play, and both front and rear wheels seem solid.

Flatout Phil
Monday 7th June 2010, 14:41
Ok, last weekend my 850 Turbo started making a noise. It started happening after a 300 mile trip, and i could hear it quietly in a straight line. It starts around 40mph, and goes through to 60, then it goes away.

It also gets worse when i corner to the left only. When turning left at say 40 mph, it sounds louder, and is deffo coming from the left side, but could not locate front or rear.

Now the noise, is like a whirring noise, like a wheel bearing, but not sure. Like I say, it only happens between 40-60 and goes away above 60, so not sure about it being a bearing.

does anyone have any ideas? I have jacked the car up, and tried to check for play, and both front and rear wheels seem solid.

Wheel bearing is likely culprit - not a strong point on 850. Do your CV joints clunk when you turn on full lock? I don't think it would be much else this side of a noisy layshaft or some oddity with a tyre tread which is pretty unlikely.

bobbych
Monday 7th June 2010, 14:43
thanks, i was suspecting it, but seems odd that it is the nearside where the noise it, when turning left, as the weight would be on the offside wheels? is this normal?

also, i have no way of telling if the noise is front or back as it stands.

Volvostorm
Monday 7th June 2010, 15:47
With wheelbearings sometimes its the other side from the noise that is the problem, i.e turn left, it the drivers side bearing that grumbling. Yours to me does sound very bearing-ish

bobbych
Monday 7th June 2010, 15:48
so, if i get the noise when cornering left, would you suspect the right bearing? What I dont want to do, it go to all the hassle of fitting a bearing to one side, to find it is the other one, so trying to narrow it down a bit. Ta

Volvostorm
Monday 7th June 2010, 16:34
so, if i get the noise when cornering left, would you suspect the right bearing? What I dont want to do, it go to all the hassle of fitting a bearing to one side, to find it is the other one, so trying to narrow it down a bit. Ta

Normally, yes, but its not 100%, my mondeo had a noise on right hands, and it was the right hand bearing. I know you have tried wiggling the wheels, did you try spinning them by hand? You might be able to hear the bearing

bobbych
Monday 7th June 2010, 17:47
Normally, yes, but its not 100%, my mondeo had a noise on right hands, and it was the right hand bearing. I know you have tried wiggling the wheels, did you try spinning them by hand? You might be able to hear the bearing

indeed, span them, as could not hear or feel anything.
it is strange to me that is goes away above 60mph, I assumed bearings got noiser the faster you went

alas it looks like i will be changing one side [not decided which] and hope it goes away, if not, will then have to change the other. I would do both, but these are not cheap

Volvostorm
Monday 7th June 2010, 17:50
Not something daft like a brake pad catching?

bobbych
Monday 7th June 2010, 17:53
well it could be, that is another option. But static, on axles stands everything looks ok. I am tempted to replace the discs and pads anyway, and see if that cures it. It is just a shame to strip it for brakes, and not do the bearing at the same time. I just do not want to shell out £140 for 2 bearings if I dont need either, or both.

nobananas
Monday 7th June 2010, 19:07
Usually if you are turning left the weight of the car shifts onto right hand side of the car so if the noise increases then it's a wheel bearing on the right-side and vice versa if turning right. I often jack up the front of the car, support securely on stands then run it up through the gears. You can then take it out of gear and key off the engine and listen to the wheels run down. Chocking one wheel also helps to find out which side it is (don't do this if you are running an LSD)

bobbych
Monday 7th June 2010, 21:13
i am running an Auto, so not sure about doing this. IT certainly in my mind points to the Right side, but the noise is deffo coming from the left. I might just change the discs and pads and run it again to see if that cures it. Whilst I have the discs off both sides, i will inpsect the bearings

bobbych
Saturday 12th June 2010, 13:54
ok, update. this morning went out to replace front disks and pads. Started on the nearside. Removed wheel, then noticed that the front pad retaining spring was missing! So that was culprit no1. removed caliper, and pads, and the inner pad fell apart in my hand, so that is culprit no2. so, I carried on an replaced both sides.

I have yet to test the car, as I have ordered a new spring set for the brake pads, but hopefully the lack of a spring, and the fact the pad material was detatched from the pad, and both on my nearside which is where the noise was, will sort my vibration and Noise problem in one.:thumbs_up:

bobbych
Saturday 12th June 2010, 15:26
now I have just taken the car for a spin, bearing in mind, i still have a spring missing on the near side, and my vibration has gone under braking, so thats sorted, but the noise is still there.

it is quiet in a straight line, but still hearable at 40mph. it seems to go away abouve 55mph. but if i go round a left bend above 40mph there is a definate load groaning.

So, i swapped the spring to the nearside from the offside, and also swapped the front wheels to try and elimanate the tyres, and same again.

BUT, i did notice something odd. Now my car is an auto, and it is in park when parked.
I jacked up the front and put it on stands so i could get both wheels off. the nearside wheel was 'locked' in park and could not turn. But the offside one, merilly turned away? surely BOTH wheels should be locked when in park? have i got a problem with the gearbox? maybe that is the issue I can hear?

alanscottgraham
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 10:23
Sounds very similar, it was my wheel bearing, look here http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27329

bobbych
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 11:45
i will be replacing a wheel bearing this weekend. hopefully i chhose the correct one. The noise deffo seems to come from the left side of the car, but the load is all on the right side when cornering left