PDA

View Full Version : a/c not working

Ians
Sunday 6th June 2010, 15:04
Hi hope somebody can point me in the right direction.
The last time I used the a/c was about 3 months ago ever since somebody told me it saves on economy to turn it off.
I turned it on when we had the last hot days and it didnt blow cold. We were out in the car on a long run and after about an hour it came on and was working fine, nice and cold until I stopped the car and started again no A/C.
I took it to a garage who tested the pressure etc and that was fine the diagnostic says that the fault code led to the Air Quality Sensor being faulty.
Anyone know were or what this does and would it stop the a/c working. All lights work on switches etc.
Another problem with the car is the outside temp sensors dont work correctly and read between -27 and -4
Sorry for the long post

Ians
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 23:04
Have now found out that the air quality sensors is for outside fumes and doesnt affect the air con.

Can anybody tell me if the outside temp sensors effect whether the air con will work. Mine is telling me at the moment its -25 outside will this mean the controller stops the compressor working

Al115
Wednesday 9th June 2010, 23:13
I think that's likely (but I don't know for sure). If it thinks it's cold out... it might just suck ambient air into the cabin?

I don't think the sensors are expensive to replace, I've had a few on different Volvos before and they weren't too painful.

Cheers.

Ians
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 21:56
It seems most forum members are not sure how or when the A/C will work so just to give you my findings based on fact.
After replacing both the outside temperature sensors today the temp reading is now correct and best of all the A/C now works fine
A word of warning I took my car to a so called air con expert who didnt have a clue even with a code reader and charged £50 and asked me to leave it with him another hour to look for something. Glad I didnt give him a chance.
I hope this helps somebody in my position in the future

So pleased with myself lol

Ians
Friday 25th June 2010, 18:32
Hi hope somebody can point me in the right direction.
The last time I used the a/c was about 3 months ago ever since somebody told me it saves on economy to turn it off.
I turned it on when we had the last hot days and it didnt blow cold. We were out in the car on a long run and after about an hour it came on and was working fine, nice and cold until I stopped the car and started again no A/C.
I took it to a garage who tested the pressure etc and that was fine the diagnostic says that the fault code led to the Air Quality Sensor being faulty.
Anyone know were or what this does and would it stop the a/c working. All lights work on switches etc.
Another problem with the car is the outside temp sensors dont work correctly and read between -27 and -4
Sorry for the long post

Sorry its taken so long to get back to forum but I was wrong after all that my air con wasnt working sometimes its hard to tell how cold it should be. The outside temp now works correctly.
I booked it into Readview Garage, off Station Road, Huncoat, Accrington who did the job right. The checked the pressure which was correct emptied the fluid out and found only 200cc instead of 1200cc filled it up and it works perfect now hurrah and changed oil and fuel filter and oil change cost £105 I cant recommend them enough and I will go back as I believe they know there stuff.

LiamT4
Friday 25th June 2010, 20:21
Always remember to use your a/c at least once a week for at least 10mins even in the winter. I use it in the winter with the heater on to demist the windows, works much quicker with the a/c on.

Filterlab
Monday 28th June 2010, 13:37
I leave mine switched on all the time personally, it's a benefit come winter or summer. :)