PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Front Brake Hose replacement

Shortbusdriver1969
Saturday 5th June 2010, 13:40
I need to replace the two front brake hoses, I have to parts.
but the hose will NOT loosen from the mount behind the wheel,
It will loosen from caliper but not other end,
I have wire brushed it and even WD40'd it and still will not budge,
I am frightend of causing damage if I give it too much stick,
The bleed valves are seized in.one snapped off so I have had to get some more calipers,
I dont want to snap the hose connnections,
so if any one has any pointers please let me know :-) Ta

gotmeaT-5
Saturday 5th June 2010, 14:31
You might have to remove the entire copper hose along with the flexi hose then remove it once you've got the whole pipe out it will prevent damage, even if you do damage it brake pipes are only a few pound per meter. I think that's how I'm going to replace both the flexi's on my 850 when the time comes as access doesnt look that great under the wing

nobananas
Saturday 5th June 2010, 20:29
A little tip, you can still bleed the brakes even if you are unfortunate to break off the bleed nipple. It can be bled by pushing the piston all the way back into the caliper and then bled by slackening off the flexi pipe as it joins the caliper. Then it's a case of having someone pump the brakes while you open and close the union, it's messy but it does work. Have you tried gently heating the seized union and using a good quality brake union spanner (ass opposed to just a normal open ended one), decent mole grips have also got me out of trouble in the past.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 5th June 2010, 21:03
On my old 940 one of the joints was solid, and in the end I had to take the pipe off up to to the master cylinder (was only 2ft) then I went to my local motor factor (great place, only a 5 minute walk from me) and they made up a new pipe length the same as the dodgy one, which I then bent to suit the car. As a test I tried to undo the old pipe from the flexi hose, and it took a vice and some stilsons to get it undone.

Have you tried heating it and using stilsons?