PDA

View Full Version : IPOD control in C30

Thinker
Friday 4th June 2010, 13:07
Hi all

I suspect I'm on to a complete loser here but I'll ask anyway.

Wife just got a new 2010 C30 with the standard factory fitted steroe (I think it's just called the "Performance" stereo).

She's got a new Ipod Nano and she's like to use it in the car.

Sadly there are no visible sockets on the stereo and she doesn't have one in the armrest compartment.

Her car does have the bluetooth option fitted for her mobile phone.

Ringing Volvo dealers produces some mixed results. Last chap said in order to provide an IPOD and AUX socket she would need 2 different installation kits, the cables and an application (presumably firmware) upgrade for the stereo itself. Total cost of these parts £266 !! To have all that fitted £485 !!!

I noted that if you buy the High Performance stereo at the time of purchase then that's just a £400 option and it comes with all the required sockets.

All seems very expensive just to plug an MP3 into your car stereo.

She'd like proper control of the Ipod from the car steering controls. She already has an old FM transmitter that she could use to just feed the signal into the system but that's far from ideal.

Does anyone out there have this same Ipod dilemma?
Anyone hacked the standard stereo and found ways to make it control Ipods?

Cheers

Libra
Thursday 10th June 2010, 11:22
I think from reading other forum posts that for the newer cars with the MOST (?) stereo's you can only go with the factory ipod/usb kit. The older cars you can buy kits such as the iMiv and USA Spec PA11 VOL. These kist will not work with your stereo.

Happygilmore78
Thursday 10th June 2010, 14:36
Mate, i will get you some details - my mate is having his C30 setup with USB IPOD connection from a mate at Formby Car Electronics who is one of the best at what he does, and he has done a lot.

My mate said he is charging around £250 fitted against Volvo's £450+