PDA

View Full Version : An interesting problem

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 4th June 2010, 08:41
Christine my V70 T5 has been a real pain in the neck over the years as the epic thread from last year showed. Of late she has been running with only one small water leak, and I know where that's from. And when I get the LPG sorted it should cure it.

But she is now doing something really odd.

It happens when I fill her up! I stop open the flap and fill to the top, pay and then restart, only she won't, she turns over, catches crawls up to a thousand revs and dies, turns over, stops and then she starts.

It never happens when she starts at any other time, only when I fill her up. I thought, that being the cow she is, she didn't like Morrison's fuel so I went to Tesco, but she did the same there.

We only use Morrisons and Tesco as they take Fuel Genie cards http://www.fuelgenie.co.uk/Info/homepage.aspx?gclid=CNeair72haICFc6X2AodolJpUA

Very handy if you want to keep on top of your fuel bills.

So has anyone got any ideas as to why it's happening?

dominic street
Friday 4th June 2010, 14:00
just a shot in the dark are you letting the fuel tank run till its almost empty then filling her up if so and this is only an idea and there are alot better guys with more knowledge then me on here but you could be draging dirty from the tank in to the fuel filter which is clogging up or there might be dirt in the injectors that are stoping the fuel from getting in. hope this might help and good luck.

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 4th June 2010, 14:42
Nope it's not that. The tank was cleaned out a short time ago after a clown took out the old fuel sender and didn't bother to clean around the rim and rubbish dropped into the tank. Christine kept cutting out on a run, so she went into our local independent Volvo dealers and they sorted out the problem. So £300 plus later I have a nice clean tank and a new sender.

I have to admit it did cross my mind, but it happens even if I top up on a quarter of a tank.:confused:

jez.w
Friday 4th June 2010, 15:32
Is it something to do with restarting a hot engine, are you getting a rich cut?

If i start my car hot or cold and only let it run for a second or two, enough to move it back to open the garage door, next time i try and start the engine it turns over for longer before it starts and doesnt idle well for a few seconds, accompanied by a strong smell of petrol. This is normal as the engine will obviously be running momentarily rich. Your problem sounds a bit worse.

Phuturephantasy
Friday 4th June 2010, 15:52
Fuel pump relay? - may be worth swapping with another if you can borrow one to try.

Jamest5r
Friday 4th June 2010, 17:41
My mrs car does something similar and has done for the past 6yrs, fill up and when you start it its groggy for the first few seconds and then clears???. Always runs fine...

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 4th June 2010, 19:21
My mrs car does something similar and has done for the past 6yrs, fill up and when you start it its groggy for the first few seconds and then clears???. Always runs fine...

That sounds like it, once it's running it's fine. She needs filling again :) and it's just off the red so I'll take her out and see what happens this time. This is only a recent thing, not an on going one..

Just a lot off topic, I have a leak from a joint at the rear of the engine bottom hose on the Talbot, took it off cleaned up the joint, cleaned the inside of the hose, put it back together and it still leaks. Went to a local Talbot dealer to get a new hose and guess what, they don't make them anymore. So I'm now hunting for a supplier who has old stock.