PDA

View Full Version : Engine Top Mount Mangled

dazat5
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 09:34
Hi all took some pics today of my top mount , you reckon its a bit broken ? :P i have ordered a new powerflex bush today.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2r4toa1.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/16l0acx.jpg

cartoonhead
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 09:49
never seen one move to the side before well knackered the powerflex one is a nightmare to get in but gives the engine a great sound when done

dazat5
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 10:42
never seen one move to the side before well knackered the powerflex one is a nightmare to get in but gives the engine a great sound when done

yeh it is a bit odd, i had one of the powerflexs on my old 850, it did sound lovely.

Mr Sheen
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 16:14
Powerflex bush is easy to fit. I took the bracket off the car, one cut with a hacksaw and the old bush fell out. I then pushed either half of the bush in at a time, then the stainless insert. Job done.

Wee bit of a fiddle getting bracket out, but think it makes job bit easier.

shrekblackR
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 16:45
guys mine is shot to , where do i get a powerflex one from ,

t5 pete
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 17:16
There easy to replace use a hack saw blade to cut the old one out and then the poly bush comes in two pieces one will go in with no effort at all then for the other get a head bolt or simliar with some big washers and wind it in put the metal sleve in and job done

Rnash2002
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 18:54
guys mine is shot to , where do i get a powerflex one from ,

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_23_38&products_id=2288

nobananas
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 19:37
The mistake some people seem to make putting the polybush in is too do it with the stainless sleeve already in (then they start hacking it about with a stanley knife !). As has been said, a g-clamp and couple of bits of wood is all you need to pull the two halves of the bush in (plenty of copper slip helps) then the sleeve will just push through (more copper grease). If you hate the noise (I did !) but love the gear-change you could always carefully drill a few holes in it then you get the best of both worlds !

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/DSC_0756.jpg

shrekblackR
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 20:56
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_23_38&products_id=2288 wow cheers man gonna be skint for a bit now ive found this site lol

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 23:12
If you hate the noise (I did !) but love the gear-change you could always carefully drill a few holes in it then you get the best of both worlds !
What a good idea, never thought of that. I hated the noise too, was awesome at first, but after living with it daily, it was just annoying.

And fitting a polybush beats having to press a standard one in, those are a bloody nightmare.

MC_Bob
Thursday 3rd June 2010, 21:28
Will drilling also lessen the annoying feeling of the engine through the car?

Cheers :)

dazat5
Friday 4th June 2010, 08:34
Quick update on the bush, i finally got around to fitting and NEVER EVER again will i do it!, it took around a hour to get the one side in, but all in all im pretty happy, will post some pics up later.

Thanks

tattoo101
Friday 4th June 2010, 15:36
hi i have found a polyflex top mount bush on ebay but it says not for awd models! how much of a difference is the between them or would this be ok for my awd?

Tomcat
Friday 4th June 2010, 15:52
Dont see why it wouldn't fit the AWD models as the engine is exactly the same....

tattoo101
Friday 4th June 2010, 16:22
thats what i was thinking but it was the powerflex web site that was saying its not for the awd/diesel/police models?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 4th June 2010, 18:12
Fitted one to my awd, no problems. Its the same mounting.

I guess they just don't list it as fitting because they don't know if it does.

nobananas
Friday 4th June 2010, 19:58
Will drilling also lessen the annoying feeling of the engine through the car?

Cheers :)

Did with me. I liked the noise...at first, then it got tiresome and I felt like a chav with a cherry bomb on his Saxo ! I just marked out six holes, 3 either side of the center, grouped together leaving the top and bottom sections solid (similar to the original bush). Then drilled it carefully using a drill press getting slowly larger up to about 13mm each hole (I think). Has been on there over a year so far without any bad effects. Still get a little of the growl under heavy acceleration but non of the vibration and noise that you get with the polybush un-molested !

Volvostorm
Friday 4th June 2010, 20:17
Did with me. I liked the noise...at first, then it got tiresome and I felt like a chav with a cherry bomb on his Saxo ! I just marked out six holes, 3 either side of the center, grouped together leaving the top and bottom sections solid (similar to the original bush). Then drilled it carefully using a drill press getting slowly larger up to about 13mm each hole (I think). Has been on there over a year so far without any bad effects. Still get a little of the growl under heavy acceleration but non of the vibration and noise that you get with the polybush un-molested !

Try it with a delrin filled bulkhead mount :p At times it sounds like I'm in the engine bay, you can hear everything :D I love it

MC_Bob
Friday 4th June 2010, 21:52
Sweet, appreciate the help!

Would it be easy to remove the existing, definately want to do this now.

Volvostorm
Friday 4th June 2010, 23:09
Sweet, appreciate the help!

Would it be easy to remove the existing, definately want to do this now.

You have to remove the old rubber bush, all you do is hacksaw through the plastic and pull it out.

MC_Bob
Saturday 5th June 2010, 00:01
I mean, the current is already uprated, as it was when I bought it.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 5th June 2010, 00:05
You just undo the mount to bulkhead bracket and move it out the way, then the polybush should come out in two halves, one out each side with a metal bush through the middle.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/large_images/PFV902289_large.jpg (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/large_images/PFV902289_large.jpg)

MC_Bob
Saturday 5th June 2010, 00:15
Thanks, will definately report back tommorow, im all excited now :D

MC_Bob
Saturday 5th June 2010, 17:08
Right, done it, and its awesome.. No more rattly dash.

Found the other smaller bush is knackered, should I get a poly one of those too?

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 5th June 2010, 18:50
Excellent mate, I shall find out my polybush and do some drilling. I think there are poly bushe available for the smaller bulkhead bush, but I replaced mine with a genuine volvo part from Rufe

MC_Bob
Saturday 5th June 2010, 18:55
Yeah imma do that ta.

What id do if doing it again, instead of drilling all the way through, just drill from the middle out but dont go all the way, so it looks stock, but has more give :)

shrekblackR
Friday 11th June 2010, 20:42
well done mine no worries , took about 1/2 hr and i love it everything seems sweeter , and i love the noise , with my zorst as well like a rally car wit a soare throte lol sorry about the spelling im crap at it lol ,,cheers for all your help guys , nearly there now just need to get rid of these wheels and lower it , then i can start on engine bay mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm