PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 Short Oval Racer part 2

streaky744
Friday 28th May 2010, 18:03
this may not to be to everyones tastes but gave the airbrusher free reign when he came to do car as a favour for me today. all was free hand and its not what i expected but looks better in the flesh than in a picture. still got to be laquered but you can make your own minds up. don't think you will ever see a volvo painted like this again.

loving the boot lid myself where i will be adding a number plate that just reads V70 T5

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/autotraderjune059.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/autotraderjune060.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/autotraderjune056.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/autotraderjune061.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/autotraderjune065.jpg

comments welcome

danny-R
Friday 28th May 2010, 18:05
looks smart mate well done

p fandango
Friday 28th May 2010, 18:07
the skill in the painting is amazing, a theme would of been nicer but still very impressive

jdavis
Saturday 29th May 2010, 09:36
very impressive. i like, especially the moose badges!

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 30th May 2010, 22:06
Fantastic!

streaky744
Saturday 5th June 2010, 13:14
all loaded up ready for racing on sunday, itching to get her on track now.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/volvo017.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/boycey1971/volvo019.jpg

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 6th June 2010, 15:39
Awww, wanted to come and watch....

How did she do?????????

Tomcat
Sunday 6th June 2010, 16:09
Very nice, as an airbrusher myself I know what goes into these paint jobs...

Loving the truck by the way...sure I've seen that out and about.

streaky744
Sunday 6th June 2010, 22:46
race meeting report

firstly all i have to say is awesome, in 23 yrs of racing i have never had so much fun and the car was a dream to drive.

out of 19 starters to which i started dead last i came 9th in first race as started to push on in the bends due to tyre pressures to high.

finished 7th in race two again from the back and placed 5th in the final (in the wet) which i was very very pleased with as it wheelspun the entire race except on the corners.

overall i was just stunned with how it handled, it never missed a beat and pulled like nothing i have raced before, bearing in mind out of every corner it span the inside front wheel for length of straight unless fed power in slowley. it also impressed a few of the racers with so many asking what had done to it as all said F*&$ Me thats quick.

now bearing in mind the cars i raced today have full race suspension set ups, on coil overs, cambered wheels to aid cornering, and race tuned engines the volvo did better than ever thought it would. and if it was set up to handle and corner like the others quite simply it would walk every race based on todays performance as was having to break very early to scrub of enough speed to get round the bends.

even managed to drift it on occasions whilst lighting up the tyres.

only downside was used £35 of fuel in 3 10 lap races . 1 lap is just over 1/4 mile and totally shredded to brand new michellin front tyres.

but well worth it try getting smile of my face from today

streaky744
Sunday 6th June 2010, 22:50
opposite lock round a bend in a front wheel drive hehe. pic added i hope

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 6th June 2010, 22:51
Told you she was good :)

So pleased to hear this, had her sideways once or twice, mostly intentionally! Lowering the rear would have made a huge difference though, glad you did it. As for the engine, it kept the car ahead of a Cayman once and that was before you pulled about 500kg out of it.

So, so chuffed, thanks :)

streaky744
Sunday 6th June 2010, 23:11
it now has a lot of people worried as even though it spent all day sat at full revs in second while racing, i let it idle for five minutes after each race for things to cool it never so much as even got hot. (fan wired to constant)
but they are worried i get the suspension set up and leave them for dead. best moment of day power wise has to be pulling out of the corner side by side with a sierra running a 400bhp tuned 5.0ltr chevy lump and passing him like he was stood still. but not many more moments like that as i got throttle happy as loved the sound of the engine to much.

now apart from my time the car must owe me £500 in total or there abouts, most other cars today have engines alone at 2.5k now you see why they where a bit miffed.

next week the car is going to trent and racing on mud , let the grin continue

i'm hoping to get a dvd of today's racing and if so will be sending you a copy as a thankyou.

car was also weighed today so you can all try and guess what she weighs now. but a lot of drag racers would kill to be at this weight.

orginal weight is? (i not know) but can assure you she has shed more than 500 kg i think

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 6th June 2010, 23:28
When and where is the trent meet?

streaky744
Monday 7th June 2010, 00:27
trent is sunday the 13th, just a fun day in aid of rasing money for charity. start time is around 12.30.
track details

Trent Raceway DE13 9PD Newborough Road Needwood/Burton upon Trent Staffordshire

will be fun as couldn't get traction on tarmac so mud be impossable lol

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 7th June 2010, 00:59
Yeah, traction was always a problem! My newer s60 t5 has 225 section rubber and is much better when you boot it. Studded tyres at trent?

aftershock
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 15:09
Lovvvvvvvvvvvve the colour and am really jealous over the racing!

I want to get out on a track in my R as I kinda bought it for spped and handling in and out of corners and on todays roads you can't really do that!

streaky744
Tuesday 8th June 2010, 20:41
thanks aftershock,

few more on track pics, shame they don't convey the speed. tyre is squirming well in second shot on front wheel

streaky744
Thursday 10th June 2010, 21:26
few alterations today to prepare the car for sundays racing.

road tyres removed from front and now shod in 195 / 70 /16 dunlop gravel tyres medium compound with reinforced side walls, with big chunky tread pattern to hopefully give it a lot more grip on the loose surface.

and fitted vauxhall omega alloys to the rear with 195 / 50 /15 as needed the other 16" original wheels as spares for the front with gravel tyres in case of punctures. (vaux rims not clear brake calipers on front)

car now has a funny stance due to tyres being very different is size, the extra height on the front should also aid clearance so no damage to intercooler etc. but smaller wheels to rear allow it to slide easily so can control slide with power and grip from front. guess will know come sunday.

fingers crossed for some sunshine now on sunday

streaky744
Sunday 13th June 2010, 22:31
had a storming day at trent in the old girl today. once again she never put a foot wrong. be it in the dry or when wet as the heavens opened towards the end of the meeting.

did six races today and won all of them. it performed better on mud than it did tarmac.

so more than happy with todays outing, now got lots of cleaning to do as its covered in mud all over. then tuck her away till august bank holiday weekend where i shall make the long trip to sussex to race it at the fastest short oval in the country at angmering.

Crazy_C
Sunday 13th June 2010, 22:54
Damn man, that is looking sweet!!!

And that is some serious tyre squirm you have going on in that pic you mention it too!! :eek:

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 14th June 2010, 00:42
Again, so, so, so very chuffed :)

streaky744
Monday 14th June 2010, 18:51
been offered a £1000 for the car today from someone at trent raceway, took at least 4 seconds to turn him down. this car is my baby now and very happy with it.

re map is next on cards before its outing to sussex as its a long track where bhp counts so want more ummpphh. and a blanking plate and dump valve

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 19:01
had a storming day at trent in the old girl today. once again she never put a foot wrong. be it in the dry or when wet as the heavens opened towards the end of the meeting.

did six races today and won all of them. it performed better on mud than it did tarmac.
you can't complain with six wins out of six, looks like you've got away with no contact either yet. Can we expect some more of the bargain T-5's to be snapped up off here from your fellow racers then lol

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 19:01
Love what you have done with that car mate, would a lsd not be the best mod for you? got to give a better pull out of the corners.

streaky744
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 10:56
lsd would be the best option, but trying to keep costs down on the car. and work as in not having to swap box's etc.

looking for some toyo R888's now for its next outing, also as can use any road tyres at this track as long as road legal and think they grip better than yoko equivelent,

any links to the cheapest place to get these anyone?

and car has dents now just not seen on distance shots, its not been in full contact race yet, that comes at xmas when the car goes to barford , got to have water tank made to fit and remove rad and intercooler for that meeting

Al115
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 11:59
888s are uber-expensive right now mate... try some other options, they will be nearly as good...

Hankook, Kumho make decent cheaper options. Yokos are good but pricier than those, still cheaper than the Toyos though.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 16:55
I got my m59 box and drive shafts for £200 from a breakers...cheaper than 4 tyres lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 17:14
Hey just caught this thread - and I think the paint job is uber cool.

Race looks amazing fun - & congratulations on the repeat wins!!

streaky744
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 22:46
888s are uber-expensive right now mate... try some other options, they will be nearly as good...

Hankook, Kumho make decent cheaper options. Yokos are good but pricier than those, still cheaper than the Toyos though.

what is the name or numbers of the kumho ones? not a lover of hankook but have used kuhmo before with good results

LiamT4
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 22:59
Excellent. Looks like you are having a laugh and winning at the same time, best of both. Paint job looks really well done btw. So what does it weigh now? and i take it you've already took the cat off it, for a few more horses?

Al115
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 23:14
what is the name or numbers of the kumho ones? not a lover of hankook but have used kuhmo before with good results

KUMHO V70A ECSTA trackday tyres

streaky744
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 10:27
thanks for that. looked at those and in my search found Maxsport RB5 which seem like they will do nicely and priced at only £58 each which is a bargain for this type of tyre

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 19:59
Guy I bought her off claimed that she had been chipped. I never RR'd her so cant confirm or deny. You might be throwing £££££ at something thats already been done. Can you get her on a RR somewhere?

streaky744
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 21:59
sadly its a treck to a rolling road. i had a V70 on the road that was chipped and pulled a lot harder than this one, i would say its not been done, will see if send ecu off to be done if they can find out if its already been done or not. won't loose out if have it done as can always sell ecu after.

unless anyone got one laying around want to lend me , well can dream

streaky744
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 21:47
update

next race meeting is in sussex on a very large oval (3rd gear this one on straights), 30 august if anyone wants to pop along and enjoy a days racing and come say hello.

new rubber has arrived, got toyo px-4's in the end delivered for £40 a tyre

and no not removed the cat, it has a lamba sensor in it and thought if i remove the cat it may cause car to run bit sick without messing about with welding another piece of pipe in with hole for lamba.

thats all thats left of exhaust is down pipe and cat the rest has gone.
if anyone can assist with advice if i remove the cat will it work or not and any gains really for the effort as car runs sweet as it is.

and as to weight had car weighed and was well happy it came in at 926kg without me in it. which is a serious diet for one of these.

mds
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 17:01
Even with you on board you will have an all up weight just over a ton so if it's standard you should have around 220bhp per Ton.
That sounds like it would be pretty damn lively on a loose surface to me.

streaky744
Wednesday 21st July 2010, 19:58
handles like a dream on loose mostly down to the Dunlop group A rally tyres i got for it. was so driveable even in the wet. maybe this is because its lowered about 90mm on front and 110mm on the rear. also found it more balanced when changed rear wheels to 15" ones as car becomes level under braking instead of nose diving

new rubber to fit for next outing , oil and filter change as done two meetings flat out in second so guessing oil will have been very hot and lost some of its goodness.
but can't complain as over the two meetings she has not used a drop of oil or water not bad for 300k on the clock.

will be ready then for the 250 mile trip to the south coast for bank holiday.

pyrotechnictigger
Friday 23rd July 2010, 00:52
handles like a dream on loose mostly down to the Dunlop group A rally tyres i got for it. was so driveable even in the wet. maybe this is because its lowered about 90mm on front and 110mm on the rear. also found it more balanced when changed rear wheels to 15" ones as car becomes level under braking instead of nose diving

new rubber to fit for next outing , oil and filter change as done two meetings flat out in second so guessing oil will have been very hot and lost some of its goodness.
but can't complain as over the two meetings she has not used a drop of oil or water not bad for 300k on the clock.

will be ready then for the 250 mile trip to the south coast for bank holiday.

As I keep saying, so, so chuffed :) Told you she would take a good lowering :) Good luck on the next outing :)

streaky744
Saturday 31st July 2010, 23:34
this car is getting a bit of a reputation as now all being well its going to race in cumbria in october as been invited to another grass track to race it , to put against there no1 car to see if turbo's are the way forward for them with a new formula for next season.

so if she survives the trip to sussex and not get smashed up or blown up, then another hike on the cards.

got to admit for what it owes me has been worth every penny so far and its not to many pennies at that.

think want to build a C70 now for next year

streaky744
Saturday 7th August 2010, 23:27
latest update, T5 will be in a non contact group in its next outing, but will also be racing a V40 on the same day 2.0ltr auto in the full contact bangers. sharing the car with my brother who lives in sussex, so will be interesting to see how the V40 does as again one has not been used in bangers as of yet.
results and pics from the day be added upon return from sussex.

pyrotechnictigger
Saturday 28th August 2010, 22:23
Can we have some pics please?

streaky744
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 00:26
racing went well to a point on bank hol monday. around a 20 car field, started at back in heat 1 to get used to track again. was up to 6th place when a five car pile up brought the race to an early end. suffered some slight damage to front of car bending front protector bar into intercooler and putting very small hole in it. otherwise all seemed fine upon checking it in the pits.

race two started on front row, clutch start saw me pull away into the lead. with no traffic and a clear track could use the car to its full potential, managing to hit limiter in 3rd gear down back straight before heavy breaking. won race after lapping over half the field in a 10 lap race and 2nd place being half a lap behind. on the last lap a pop from under the bonnet and steam pouring out. upon inspection back in the pits the radiator had snapped where the top hose outlet is so the car was loaded for the rest of the day.

gutted as travelled 250 miles for the meeting, did however manage a good day in my contact car a E30 bmw 318. with a locked diff had some serious sideways action and got some air time of the side of a honda.

so all in all had a good day and now have to check if head gasket is okay on car when get another radiator as next outing is in cumbria in oct all being well.

is some pics of car on here somewhere but will add a couple found on a website earlier as i don't take a camera half the time.

streaky744
Friday 17th September 2010, 22:17
due to new baby arriving shortly, next race outing has been re planned to the 23rd october. this will be at night at scun-thorpe raceway. (sorry for gap in word it thinks its a swear word otherwise) also be interesting to see if feels more responsive due to the cold air at night.

should be fun to see how the car goes on a shale track compared to mud and tarmac.

few repairs done to front end after carsh in sussex.

front valance porta powered back out.

oil cooler from orginal radiator cut from end of damaged radiator and now fitted in front of pulleys and secured there.

new radiator fitted from an auto t5 (only one could source at decent price round here £15) but oil cooler on this rad is on opposite side of radiator hence why had to cut orginal oil cooler off as pipes where also of different fixing from one rad to the other. oil cooler pipes from auto rad are blanked off as water comes out of them them otherwise. (poor chap i got it from scrapped his t5 thinking head gasket had gone when it appears his oil cooler had split in rad)

small hole in intercooler around three veins filled with good old body filler for now to help keep costs down (keep wife happy)

will be trying road tyres and knobbly's on shale depending on conditions on the day

anyone who wants to pop along say hello is more than welcome

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 16:50
How did you get on? It always was a little quicker when really cold :)