PDA

View Full Version : 1994 850 Steering Problems

xsubzeroz
Thursday 30th June 2005, 13:02
I started having power steering problems about 1 year ago but wasn't anything major. For the last 6 months the car has been sitting in garage and now power steering is very hard to turn. Sometimes it's like skipping, goes easy for short turn and then very hard. It is almost impossible to drive like this. Is there any way to flush power steering or where should I start looking for problems?? Thank you for any suggestions.

splatt
Thursday 30th June 2005, 13:06
jack front wheels up, (put on stands!!) run engine, turn lock to lock to bleed any air out, keep reservoir topped up.
You dont say what the problem was....
Can easily flush it out.
What was the problem you had to start with?

Oh...welcome to the forum.... :)

xsubzeroz
Monday 4th July 2005, 14:59
I didn't noticed when the problem started but it's almost impossible to drive car. You need to use a lot of strength with both arms to turn wheels. While turning sometimes it turns intermidiate between nornal and very hard. Also when parked and turning wheels from one side to another, it gets a bit better. I'm not sure if something got seized up and maybe just need power steering air bleeding.
I would like to say that this website and forum is AWESOME. People are very helpful with a lot of knowledge. Thanks for everybodys suggestions.

nikgallagher
Monday 4th July 2005, 15:16
The system defo needs bleeding. My rover was leaking fluid through a damaged pipe, and it progressively got worse as it sucked air in. Roundabouts were interesting with intermittent assistance!
I removed the ht lead from the coil when i bled mine - followed the Haynes procedure.