PDA

View Full Version : Another air con question

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 16:19
Had a search but couldnt find any syptoms like mine.

So thought i'd ask you guru's you. A/C comes on ok, and was sat in the heat on Saturday with it on, was beautiful! then about 15/20 mins later all of a sudden warm air??? switched it off, then on again and slowly it went cold again.

Very weird, any idea's? is it the clutch like the other A/C probs.

Cheers

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 16:25
Does this sound like the explanation? just found on another site.. the guy asked basically the same question to me, and this is the answer he got - and yep mine was recharged recently.

...Have you recently had the A/C worked on...recharged? Your problem, although it could be something else, sounds like over-charging...the lines freeze and have to thaw out before it will work again. That, or there is moisture in your system that is freezing. If you haven't had work done and it's moisture, you'll need to have the system evacuated and refilled with the right amount of gas.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 17:54
I'd go back to who ever regassed it for you.

JelT5
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 18:06
Seems to have answered another prob I've got with mine...36C today outside, cold air then warm- not really what you want sat in traffic!

orse
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 18:43
Could possibly be a blockage in the a/c system creating to much pressure and switching the a/c off.

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 23:29
To the garage it is then :) cant be having it playing up in this coconut heat!

rocket ronny
Wednesday 26th May 2010, 15:16
Had a search but couldnt find any syptoms like mine.

So thought i'd ask you guru's you. A/C comes on ok, and was sat in the heat on Saturday with it on, was beautiful! then about 15/20 mins later all of a sudden warm air??? switched it off, then on again and slowly it went cold again.

Very weird, any idea's? is it the clutch like the other A/C probs.

Cheers

typical of a out of limit clutch air gap, what happens is when the clutch pack heats up the resistance across the solnoid windings increases until it can no longer pull the clutch in once it cools resistance decreases and the clutch works check the air gap odds on its out of limits , re-shimming is fairly easy

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 26th May 2010, 16:28
When you say fairly easy, you have to understand you are talking to a muppet here :) I am ok on older engines, but modern, with all that electronics sends me into a spasm on the floor.

Cheers for info mate

rocket ronny
Wednesday 26th May 2010, 18:24
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/80181-850-ac-clutch-gap-fix/

Happygilmore78
Thursday 27th May 2010, 09:46
Cheers mate - cant see the image, but probably as im not a member. Will see if i can get a chance to sign up so i can download it.

p fandango
Thursday 27th May 2010, 09:49
Cheers mate - cant see the image, but probably as im not a member. Will see if i can get a chance to sign up so i can download it.
i'm a member on there so can send it across to you later once i'm home if you want

Happygilmore78
Thursday 27th May 2010, 11:51
Cheers mate, that would be great! :)

p fandango
Thursday 27th May 2010, 18:03
Cheers mate, that would be great! :)
opps nearly forgot lol

http://xs.to/image-9D4B_4BFEA63F.jpg

rocket ronny
Thursday 27th May 2010, 18:20
did this on my old v70 worked fine instead of bits of plastic i made some metal shims and loctited them in posn, however if you wish you can do the job by the book and split the clutch and remove/add shims to obtain the correct gap, if you do a search there lots if info how to do it in the VOC forum

Happygilmore78
Thursday 27th May 2010, 20:20
Thanks buddy

Happygilmore78
Monday 31st May 2010, 21:34
Had a look today, there is no room to actually get to it - did you do from underneath?

rocket ronny
Tuesday 1st June 2010, 10:14
yes, got the car up on ramps quite easy access then