PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump

Rnash2002
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 13:54
Ok cars starting to play up with me,seems if i boot it once its gets to 5k rpm the boost drops off and it seems to hold there at 5k.
Been told this could be a fuel pump issue not pumping enough fuel through.
Any thoughts on this?
Cheers

p fandango
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 15:00
upgrading to a Walbro 255lph wouldn't be the worst idea in the world anyway tbh

Rnash2002
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 15:09
upgrading to a Walbro 255lph wouldn't be the worst idea in the world anyway tbh

At the minute funds are limited,i dont want to buy a fuel pump and it doesnt fix the problem,im running out of time aswell so i might have to call time up on the york meet :(

Rnash2002
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 16:43
Ok slight update,been out in her again 2nd gear 4 times to the red line then 5th time does the holding back,then back again to 6k rpm.
Could this maybe crap in the tank?,fuel filter? injectors blocked?

nobananas
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 21:53
I had a problem a while ago similar to this. I was forced to fit a cheap fuel pump after mine packed up stranding the missus on her way to work, it wasn't the best fitting piece of kit but it worked. A month or so later I started to get a fairly violent misfire. If you booted it hard as it hit 'mid-boost' it would cut around 3500 revs quite violently, but if you accelerated more gently it would pull cleanly right to the red line. I suspected the usual ,plugs and leads were almost new, checked dizzy cap and rotor arm, swapped on a second hand MAF, swapped the coil and module but to no avail. I then started to suspect the fuel pump as the replacement was a fair bit smaller then the original so I got a second hand one to try. When I pulled the pump the problem was clear. The new pump was much smaller in size then the old and so had a rubber sleeve to pack it out supplied but this didn't hold it very tightly and also the spring in the tank unit that pushes down on the pump wasn't under much tension. Over the month or so that the pump had been on the pump had gradually 'walked' down inside the tank unit housing until the rubber pipe connecting it to the metal pipe at the top of the tank popped off but stayed pressed to the pipe end at an angle. There was some pressure getting through but under high demand not enough causing the cut in power. The second hand pump cured the problem.