PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak help wanted.

dydigital
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:10
I have a oil leak from the front of my engine and i can work out where its coming from.

Checked the cam seals and they seam to be ok, it seams to be coming from the already around the turbo feed, but i am concerned it could be the head gasket.

any advise?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:13
Probably the turbo return seals, I did mine the other day, only a few quid from the dealers too.

dydigital
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:17
arent the return seals more on the gearbox side form the engine not the belt side?

can i take the rocker cover off with interfering with the cams?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:20
No, you can't remove the rocker cover, without disturbing anythng, have a look at the oil cooler pipes, they are in that area too, and the oil feed to the turbo

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:21
I have a oil leak from the front of my engine and i can work out where its coming from.

Checked the cam seals and they seam to be ok, it seams to be coming from the already around the turbo feed, but i am concerned it could be the head gasket.

any advise?

if it's down the back of the engine? ie:- turbo area tis very likely the turbo oil return pipe couple quid gasket easy fix also check the oil filler cap seal they go hard let oil by and it runs down back of engine/turbo area again couple quid easy fix thats what it was on mine soooooooooooooooooooo much oil

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:23
Turbo oils seals are on the back of the engine.

Leak from the front of the engine could be the dipstick oil seal (where the dipstick tube enters the engine block), or a leak from the PCV tank pipes (large black bottle on the front of the engine, underneath the inlet manifold).

I had a leak on mine from the pcv tank, one of the clamps on a connecting pipe had come loose and oil was escaping.

dydigital
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 23:29
sorry guys when i mean the front i mean the timing belt side.....

Just been out and spent three hours cleaning it, the oils coming off the engine and getting onto the driverside driver shaft and being thrown everywhere.

Been under the car and dried it all off, ran it for a bit and found some near the whole in the block for the turbo feed pipe. Does anyone know what the copper pipe conection is thats just above it? should it have something on it? or is it a drain for something?

dydigital
Thursday 20th May 2010, 00:10
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs571.snc3/31144_396066850457_510025457_4602242_6731595_n.jpg

am not sure if its coming from that feed pipe, and is that copper fitting above it missing something?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs591.snc3/31144_396066870457_510025457_4602244_61506_n.jpg

in the centre of this you case see where there is some black oil, its on a lip on the block.

dydigital
Thursday 20th May 2010, 08:38
In a 15 mile trip today got oil all over the drive shaft, in the bottom of the cam cover and down the side of the engine :( May consider accepting the £500 offer someone gave me to buy it.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 20th May 2010, 18:12
That copper pipe is the drain for the block cooling system. so its supposed to be like that.

Have you tried tightening the turbo oil feed pipe? Also, have you looked around the oil pump in the cam cover?

dydigital
Thursday 20th May 2010, 19:59
Turbo feed pipe is tight, that tight i cant undo it lol. and its still clean after driving it and geting oil everywhere else.

I have found oil in the cam cover, a little round the top cam, and alot in the bottom.

Any ideas?

dydigital
Thursday 20th May 2010, 20:02
Where is the oil pump? are then not driven interally?

dydigital
Friday 21st May 2010, 12:16
Anyone know of any local places to nottingham that will have a look at my leak?

I am considering selling it as is for £500, or breaking to get the same amount. will be happy if i just get back what i paid for it.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 22nd May 2010, 00:03
Oil pump is one of the pulleys on the cam belt

Clan998
Saturday 22nd May 2010, 15:12
Turbo feed pipe is tight, that tight i cant undo it lol. and its still clean after driving it and geting oil everywhere else.

I have found oil in the cam cover, a little round the top cam, and alot in the bottom.

Any ideas?

This might not help ... but the wifes T5 had oil leak ...I thought it somewhere down the back of the engine ... it turned out to becoming from the oil cap this has a rubber seal ... which gets brittle andthe oil filled up under the spark plug cover and ran down the back of the engine ... Maybe worth a look ?

I think I might have a seal if your stuck ?

Rich

Rnash2002
Saturday 22nd May 2010, 16:21
This might not help ... but the wifes T5 had oil leak ...I thought it somewhere down the back of the engine ... it turned out to becoming from the oil cap this has a rubber seal ... which gets brittle andthe oil filled up under the spark plug cover and ran down the back of the engine ... Maybe worth a look ?

I think I might have a seal if your stuck ?

Rich
Yep had this same problem aswell,pulled the spark plug cover off and almost fell over,thought i had a major problem lol

dydigital
Monday 24th May 2010, 20:02
Thanks guys, not had the spark plug cover on in agers, cleaned that our the other week and its not that.

dydigital
Monday 24th May 2010, 20:02
Put in some engine stop leak, slick50 oil stop leak for engine seals, will see how that goes.

dydigital
Monday 7th June 2010, 21:13
Stop leak worked really well, after a week its nearly stoped all together.