PDA

View Full Version : Ride quality ??

SKIDMARKS
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 10:32
Went out in my wife's Micra on Sunday for a short trip into town as it was easier to find a space for a tiny car.This is the first time since buying the T5 P2 wagon and found it a better pothole experience. The T5 even seems noisy thru the suspension than the Micra and I tend to constantly look for any imperfections in the road surface to avoid.
I know the front lower arm needs sorting but I think there may be a 'lumping' from the o/s rear as well or maybe listening for sounds that ain't there
My previous Lexus was a great ride and maybe comparing too much, but I wonder if because these cars carry such heavy loads the ride is just generally hard and bumpy.
Any one find the same or maybe all the suspension is knackered ? It has only done 89,000 so hasn't been to the moon and back.
The Lexus had done a 100,000 more miles and was fine.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 10:35
I find all the volvos quick loud on suspension the XC90 is probably worse than my V70 was

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 10:40
The 850 (of which I have owned three) was a real step down in ride quality from previous big Volvos. The R is a veritable bone-shaker at low speeds. But once on the run, goes well. And of course, sticks down well. My wife's Golf is so soft by comparison, feels like the struts are three feet long!

I would like to know why 850 have such a poor ride quality. It is commented on in the original reviews, P2 cars seem much better.

SKIDMARKS
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 10:54
Never been in any other Volvo but they certainly do handle and go well..... Go well until your lad flies past in his 370 bhp M3 !

Liddo
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 11:42
My S60 is no where near as good a ride a my last BM 530 or the 325i i had before that. Ive even gone for thiner tyres and larger sidewalls to help with the comfort :(

t5_monkey
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 12:23
Max Mosely would probably complain about the ride quality of Mine when it's on 18's

Rock hard doesn't even begin to describe it... handles well tho :)

I'm thinking of changing my garage title to 'torture chariot'

thebadger
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 16:30
Yeah, the ride is quite firm to say the least.

My car was a bit softer when I got it (ex-plod) as it seemed to have bigger springs.

But when the front OS strut started leaking the replacments option came around & I opted for FSD's (Koni) which was not a bad choice, but I must say that the lowering springs idea was probably a mistake. I chose the Apex springs which dropped it by 40mm, but I sure I should have chosen 30mm springs instead.

I would also say that the droplink changes were the biggest improvement! Get them changed every 10K miles!

princepugh
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 17:03
I think the Phase 2 handles fairly tidily as standard considering it's a 1.5 tonne barge!

As for the ride quality, again - it's a 1.5 tonne barge so I think you do tend to notice and try to avoid the bumps a bit more but whenever I get back in the Volvo after driving something else, I'm always grateful for the 'comfort' the V70 offers.

I'm also mindful to remember how my 1986 740 used to handle! :-)

LiamT4
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 20:53
I don't think its got anything to do with the weight, volvos don't weigh any more then other similar sized cars.

SKIDMARKS
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 21:23
Yeah, the ride is quite firm to say the least.

My car was a bit softer when I got it (ex-plod) as it seemed to have bigger springs.

But when the front OS strut started leaking the replacments option came around & I opted for FSD's (Koni) which was not a bad choice, but I must say that the lowering springs idea was probably a mistake. I chose the Apex springs which dropped it by 40mm, but I sure I should have chosen 30mm springs instead.

I would also say that the droplink changes were the biggest improvement! Get them changed every 10K miles!

Drop links every 10K :shockedbi