PDA

View Full Version : FMIC's

BlackBeast
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 16:46
Just wondered if you guys have fitted a FMIC and which one you used? Any DIY projects at all? For DIY projects the FMIC to use is either the Evo 7 or 8 version, anybody used one of these?

Steve

volvotuning
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 16:49
Which car do you have? All the turbo Volvos already have a huge front mounted intercooler.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 17:04
Hi Adam, i dont currently own a Volvo at the moment :bog:

I didnt realise they had a FMIC as standard. I assume VT have done some testing of charge temps with the standard ic. What were the results if you dont mind me asking!?!

Steve

volvotuning
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 17:51
On the road, depending on driving it's about 20-30C. If you drive it VERY hard, it may go up to 40C. On the dyno, you can see double those figures easy!

If you look at a lot of the SAAB and Nissan SX tuners etc etc, they all use Volvo intercoolers for their upgrades!

The Volvo ECU will start to back off the boost etc when the ICT goes above about 50C, which is why you can sometimes see the boost start to drop off when you're racing someone very hard, especially on a warm day when accelerating hard from low speeds.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 23:32
Interesting, thanks for the info Adam, a bit of info on the EVO FMIC, one of the Fiat Coupe guys did a little test with an ambient temp of 21degC, using 4th gear and 1bar to redline, the EVO FMIC had a charge temp on average of 35degC. What do you think about that Adam? How does the upgraded FMIC VT sell compete with that?

Cheers

Steve

volvotuning
Thursday 30th June 2005, 00:08
VT doesn't sell an aftermarket FMIC. No real need for it. The stock IC is pretty good. Normally the max temp on the road at WOT at 1.2 bar is also around 35C. Of course, you can always improve on it, but on the road there's little benefit. Volvo is pretty good at designing turbo cars.

On the Volvos, it makes more sense to fit a more efficient turbo first, rather than fannying around with a different intercooler. The stock intercooler is huge - bigger than the radiator!

Adam.

BlackBeast
Thursday 30th June 2005, 01:01
VT doesn't sell an aftermarket FMIC. No real need for it.

Sorry, was under the impression you did.

Volvo is pretty good at designing turbo cars.

Are you trying to imply that fiat dont know how to design turbo cars :sinner: LOL

On the Volvos, it makes more sense to fit a more efficient turbo first, rather than fannying around with a different intercooler. The stock intercooler is huge - bigger than the radiator!

Adam.

Thanks for all the info mate, very helpfull indeed, once i get my v70 i know who to take it to :remybussi