PDA

View Full Version : ....Think I need a new T4 Turbo now!!!

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th May 2010, 13:05
Driving for Sheffield to Surrey last night, using the Turbo to keep the pace up for about 60mins contantly looks like I think I've cooked the Turbo :cry::cry::cry: ....

Bit confusing because I though a knackered turbo would have sent out plumes of smoke...????

Since I can't hear the turbo when it is supposed to spool it is quite hard to tell if it is running or not, but it feels like I've now go a "NA" T4 to drive around in...

.anyone got one before the 30th????

ALISTAR.... I think I need to buy the rest of your car!!!!

I'm going to need to hit the old C-Card this month...

mas
Monday 17th May 2010, 13:22
I know im far from a mechqanical genious ( very far in fact) but as you say none of the usual plumes of smoke couldnt it be something like the wastegate permanently open or something else way beyond my understanding :worried:

Al115
Monday 17th May 2010, 13:49
LOL you know you want my manifold and 16T :D

Seriously though, couldn't it be something more simple - boost leak?...

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th May 2010, 14:14
Yep it sounds strange to me too.... I'll keep looking, but since I'm 180miles from any of my favourite tools I'm a bit loathed to start pulling the thing apart in my works car park...

I'm going to have another look in a bit... No oil leak, a small amount of steam, but it doesn't seem to be anymore than normal.. I'm a bit confused...

Al - I actually have a 16T, so all I need is your manifold and exhaust!!! So Why don't you just take all of my wages this year!!! lol....

Al115
Monday 17th May 2010, 15:42
"Should have bought the car" (TM) :D

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th May 2010, 16:06
That "thank you" was an ironic in a "Thank you very much.... Grrrr stylie " !!!!!

Al115
Monday 17th May 2010, 16:36
LOL! At least it'll go faster when you're done... look at the upside! :)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th May 2010, 16:48
LOL! At least it'll go faster when you're done... look at the upside! :)

No it won't .... it'll be parked up like the 850 cos I will have run out of money ...

Slomo
Monday 17th May 2010, 18:58
If you err hard accelaerate? do you get a bluey oily smoke from the back?

If yes then most prob the seals in the Turbo have gone. I ahve got 2x spare low milage turbo's at home as mine goes often :p lol

If not, then try the oil feeder pipe, that goes often on mine as well lol

Slomo

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th May 2010, 20:26
EMERGENCY OVER....... wastegate had become disconnected... it was a missing R-clip....
temperary split pin in place until I can replace it....

....phew!!!!...

mas
Monday 17th May 2010, 20:29
Who was the complete mechanical no nothing who said it might be the wastegate open ?
yehhheeeeeeyyy I got something mechanical right.

Party my place date and time TBA :partysmil

Glad you're sorted too :eclipsee_

Al115
Monday 17th May 2010, 20:35
Good result eh!!!

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th May 2010, 20:40
Yep.. as always just needed people to confirm my slight hunch that it would be something simple...

In a small way I was hoping to cover the M1/M25 in white smoke.... I had such fun in a Bludbird ZX that I had to pick up from Nottingham and drive about 15miles..... Such Fun!!

gmain1967
Monday 17th May 2010, 21:28
EMERGENCY OVER....... wastegate had become disconnected... it was a missing R-clip....
temperary split pin in place until I can replace it....

....phew!!!!...

As cheap a fix as you will get!

Mine split a short time ago, though the arm was certainly not going to become detached... And good luck with trying to get the clip, the exploded view on the Volvo dealer's PC didn't show it - I got one off a spare turbo from forum member scottishvolvo. A safety pin lasted the two weeks that I needed it....!

All the best

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 06:53
Yep --- I've found that the elusive R-clip in the smaller sizes are hard to find. The usual places don't stock them.

If all else fails I'll use one from a remote control car, which will be a similar size..