PDA

View Full Version : Melbus prepped? What does that mean for me?

Libra
Saturday 15th May 2010, 12:54
I want to purchase a iMiv ipod unit, but before I do I want to make sure I get the right kit for my car. I have had a look around the internet and also on the iMiv site and I have gotten confused. I have HU-803 and I do not have RTI.

I was planning on getting a Front Mount Package kit: iMiv LE, but I have just had a look what a Melbus prepped car is and I have had a look in my boot and seen this cable:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/-Darren-/S60R/Melbus2.jpg

So, does that mean I can order Melbus Prepped package iMiv LE?

If so does that mean I can mount the unit in the boot and run the iPod cable to the centre arm rest? Is there a guide (inc. pictures) on how to run the cable from the boot to the arm rest?

Many thanks (in advance)

Darren

Libra
Monday 17th May 2010, 11:36
I have since found out that, that cable in in fact the melbus cable and I would need to purchase the iMiv Melbus prepped package and using the green RTi power connector plus I am told I would need to earth as the black cable is hot.

So all I have do to now is to work out, do I leave my iPod in the boot or run the cable to either the clove box or centre arm rest - if the later is the case I would have to lift the rear seat and carpet to run the cable to the arm rest - I would only do this is I used direct play mode.

p fandango
Monday 17th May 2010, 12:10
sorry i did have all the information on the iMiv because my old man wants digi-tv for when the anologue signal gets turned off, but in the end i think it was a bit too dear

Libra
Monday 17th May 2010, 14:12
sorry i did have all the information on the iMiv because my old man wants digi-tv for when the anologue signal gets turned off, but in the end i think it was a bit too dear

Yeah, no worries. I have worked out the price for the kit plus the CDC firmware and shipping and it comes to $217.80 or about £149. I know the USA Spec is about £20-30 cheaper, but I have heard a few unpromising stories where the units don't work or stop working after a short while whereas the iMiv is a more solid unit.

chris21340
Tuesday 18th May 2010, 19:29
Darren,

The IMIV is a spot on bit of kit. I put mine in the boot as I use the video in for a rear view camera which is viewed through the TV input. I binned the old analogue tuner.

As my car was CD based RTI the image for some reason shows only in black and white most of the time. Despite the best efforts of IMIV sending me an updated box they could not sort the problem. Apparently this is not an issue with the DVD based systems.

The only fiddly bit is setting up your music in playlists.

Chris

Libra
Wednesday 19th May 2010, 09:43
Chris, many thanks for your reply. I know the kits are fantastic as I have done my homework.

I am not sure how I am going to have my iPod set-up, whether I have it controlled via the HU or have it as direct control using the ipod.