PDA

View Full Version : Volvo vin decoder?

jmuggali
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 11:47
Bit worried about my v5 as it is vague at best, all it has is that it's a volvo, green
2 axle and 2500cc?!?!? when I insured it on line it came up with all sorts for my number plate!!! I have this site for my BMW http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Which was handy, is there anything out there like this for volvo? The hpi check was fine but it would be nice to know if it's a cd spec etc. thanks James.

Goof
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 17:43
If you're not too far from a Volvo dealership pop in and ask whether your car has had the recalls done - heated seats is a good to use (it's a freebie anyway).
Whilst you're there, ask them what they can tell you about your car from their Volvo system - asked about mine and discovered that the original buyer had started with a base-spec T5 and added loads of extras!
Try the online RAC reg check if you want to know what DVLC think yours is -
https://www.rac.co.uk/myrac/login?source=&loggedOn=false&dispatchTo=myrac

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 30th June 2005, 01:37
I've got the VIN plate decypher instructions in the car If I remember tomorrow I'll get it out and try and post what it says for everyone...
It tells you what engine spec, where it was built; saloon or estate and other stuff.....

Failing that pop to your Dealer who could possibly do this aswell...

OR PM me your VIN plate and I'll look it up...

thedrill
Monday 4th July 2005, 00:20
http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?850/Production.htm

just click on the link:

DECODE THE ID PLATES ON YOUR CAR,INCLUDING VIN NUMBER.

jmuggali
Monday 4th July 2005, 12:11
happy now it is a 855 t5 and green ! not sure of it's spec yet. Thanks James.

The Flying Banana
Monday 4th July 2005, 12:21
people keep saying the heated seats were a recall and its a freebie...am i missing something..mines dont work...are they expensive to fix if not covered? Also I have a red / white wire hanging loose under seat ( not from heated seats..its in place ) but the memory has stopped remembering!! Anyone had one of these seats out and know if the wire is the culprit?

JUDGENINJA
Monday 4th July 2005, 13:34
Yours is only free if you VIN plate comes between a certain number.
Even if your car is between these numbers they may find something else wrong with your seats, that would be chargeable.

It's something in the wiring loom that they need to fit.

I don't have my car serviced at Volvo but I called in to check and mine came under this recall.......yes they did it for free.......However mine was still working when it went in...

t5owner
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 11:12
Had a look at the website with the vin decoder

Very interesting most of it i could decode however my engine code is 53 which according to the vin decoder this number/engine does not exist :slap:

So what do i have then a T5 with an unknown engine or did volvo change the engine codes after the 850 bearing in mind that my car is a 97 S70 T5 so i would assume it has the same engine variant as a 97 850 T5 or would i be jumping to conclusions here

MMMMMM a much confused T5 owner

Kent Canary
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 11:36
Ive got an S70 too with 53 as the engine code. That website shows the 850 1993 onwards, so the engine code part wont apply to the S70.

t5owner
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 11:43
Ive got an S70 too with 53 as the engine code. That website shows the 850 1993 onwards, so the engine code part wont apply to the S70.

Thanks for that my man
Maybe next time i`ll read the page first b4 jumping in with both feet :slap:
and adding 2 +2 and getting 5

Cheers

t5owner
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 11:51
Also on this thread i nipped over to the rac website and did a reg check
All came back a ok volvo S70 4 doors grey ? (mine is actually black stone)
manf dec 31 1997 so i`m happy but the strange thing is if i go for an insurance quote online and type in my reg it always comes back as unknown reg or as a :pants: vauxhall vectra something or other
However as i drive around i see plenty of S70`s with the same 3 end letters as mine HBW so how can my reg come up as something different

Cheers

BlackBeast
Tuesday 5th July 2005, 12:56
Phone HPI up, tell them your selling your car, the person thats interested has phoned them up already and has said that it comes up with a vauxhall vectra and you will get the info that your after. I had to do a similar thing when the person that was interested in my fiat came back saying it was black, infact it was yellow so i gave hpi a call and they confirmed that the details that i knew of the car were correct.