PDA

View Full Version : Removing tree sap?

K4RL
Thursday 13th May 2010, 22:13
Does anyone know the best way to remove tree sap off paintwork (Roof and Bonnet)

Thanks

Flatout Phil
Thursday 13th May 2010, 22:23
Warm water and some car shampoo soaked in and gently removed with light strokes or jet washer. Or snow foam.

If it is resinous sap would think a steam cleaner would work well.

volvokid
Thursday 13th May 2010, 22:38
use Tardis every time, shampoo wont work you will be scrubbing and scratching the paint to get it off that way.

K4RL
Thursday 13th May 2010, 22:39
Cheers will try Tardis if that doesn't work will try steam!!!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 13th May 2010, 22:45
Tardis - by a long shot.

gmain1967
Friday 14th May 2010, 22:03
There's a product called "No Goo" which if you can find it, is brilliant. I got some in the US years ago and it's bloody brilliant at shifting all manner of residues whether it be tape, tar, adhesive, tree sap or whatever. Not looked for it here admittedly, so not sure if it is available or not.

T4FLY
Saturday 15th May 2010, 17:06
I find soap and water is fine with a cloth or some Auto Glym bumper shine or the like to help lift the sap etc.

Tardis is highly concentrated and afterall is a tar and glue remover so would use it on small areas and be sure to rinse off properly.

cameron
Saturday 15th May 2010, 17:26
I take my car to the local hand car wash, them boys are brilliant and the car comes up a treat for £5, wash, dry window and bumper dress oh and they do the tyres as well.

LeeT5
Monday 17th May 2010, 03:15
I take my car to the local hand car wash, them boys are brilliant and the car comes up a treat for £5, wash, dry window and bumper dress oh and they do the tyres as well.

...and they will be sure to scratch in a few thousand more swirls marks for you after dropping the wash mits on the floor or from cleaning that 4x4 that went off roading.....just before you got there! :eye-poppi

I avoid and wash it myself for free with 'No added grit'.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th May 2010, 09:50
...and they will be sure to scratch in a few thousand more swirls marks for you after dropping the wash mits on the floor or from cleaning that 4x4 that went off roading.....just before you got there! :eye-poppi

I avoid and wash it myself for free with 'No added grit'.
2 bucket method with grit guards no doubt?

S60
Thursday 20th May 2010, 00:36
the best thing for gettin sap off is a claybar kit doesnt scratch the paintwork aslong as you've washed it first it removes the sap easily thats what i use but i'm an ex valeter so what do i know lol

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 20th May 2010, 01:09
Agreed - but Tardis is a pre-clay solution that takes a lot of the hard work out and reduces the risk of marring. However if you are claying the car one would hope this would lead to some kind of polishing step.

Libra
Monday 24th May 2010, 10:22
I had spots of tree sap on my boot lid and rear window and they came off with just the use of a good hosing and being washed with Poorboys super slick and suds shampoo. No need for claying.

streaky744
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 13:35
TFR everytime, as in tar film remover , quick squirt over car, power wash off then just wash with soap and water, no scratch's and deffo no tree sap, bugs or other residues left. cleans alloy wheels and engines like new also