PDA

View Full Version : HELP , smoking engine!

elvisisgod
Thursday 25th November 2004, 21:21
my engine has just started smoking ! does it at idle at junctions and also at low engine speed/revs then it clears - dosnt do it all the time at start up as if valve stem seals are shagged and dosnt appear to do it when engine is on boost ?? any ideas ? been suggested blocked breathers ? any ideas on where pipes are and best way to clean , i presume the ole carbv cleaner will sort it out ??? thanx mi
key

DRUE1
Thursday 25th November 2004, 21:37
if its on idel and on boost then its the turbo m8y the bearing have gone and i would get it seen very soon cos if it goes it will take your engine with it as well

Bracer
Friday 26th November 2004, 09:19
I take it we are just talking about smoke coming out the exhaust, or are you actually getting smoke from under the bonnet ?

Mrsmopp
Friday 26th November 2004, 10:15
As per my reply on VT5, I think your best bet would be to get a mechanic to have a look at your breathers......Steve has a very similar problem and most things have been ruled out bar a tired turbo or the breather system. We doubt it is going to be the turbo as the old girl still holds boost quite happily throughout the revs.

Either way have somone who knows what there on about have a look at at her!

x

elvisisgod
Friday 26th November 2004, 15:26
dont know if i made my post clear enough or not !! dosnt do it on boost at all , only at low engine speeds/revs! the smoke is coming from the exhaust and is oil (blue) coloured. dosnt do it on start up , only after 5 mins or so of driving . dosnt do it always on idle, only when im at low/slow speeds/rpm round town . still point to turbo ? thing is it never happens when on boost or at faster speeds ?????

Markzx
Friday 26th November 2004, 18:31
It sounds to me like 360 degreed bearing oil seal on the turbo. Once the car is going and theres a bit of back pressure its forming a seal so no smoke. when its idling there's not enough back pressure to stop it weeping. Oil entres the turbo and burns off. If so it could last like that for months even years, but once it starts to belch out on over ride (when you take your foot of the gas) you'll have to change the turbo.

I doubt its the breathers the main culprit being the unit in the sump because they don't get changed or cleaned by dealers and garages at service. These usually smoke all the time.

I think they are call DeeValley Volve breakers will sell you a secondhand Tub for for about £120 a recon is about £450.

Been here done this one with a 850 and a Z.

I've now had 8 turbo charged cars. You'd think I would have learnt my leason.

DRUE1
Friday 26th November 2004, 22:50
try and give it some on the motorway then take your foot off the gas and see if there is any smoke from there i did not notice untill one day i looked and see some smoke and check the inside of the exhaust and see if there is black oil coming from it i had the same problem with my fiat turbo and it was the turbo seals or bearing where on there way out

elvisisgod
Saturday 27th November 2004, 14:18
chears fellas , have given it yahoo on my own stretch of private test track ( 3rd lane of M5 ) when lifting off at 130 nothing came out ???!!! oh well , looks like i will have to find a good volvo garage in the dorset area - any ideas ? next q ....... what turbo ? straight replacement or a 16T etc ? thanx mikey

Bracer
Monday 29th November 2004, 09:44
chears fellas , have given it yahoo on my own stretch of private test track ( 3rd lane of M5 ) when lifting off at 130 nothing came out ???!!! oh well , looks like i will have to find a good volvo garage in the dorset area - any ideas ? next q ....... what turbo ? straight replacement or a 16T etc ? thanx mikey

Have a chat with Adam @ Volvotuning (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=74) he'll sort you out :wink:

btcct5
Monday 29th November 2004, 15:14
I have exactly the same problem and have had for the last 6 months.
I have replaced all the filters, fitted a recon turbo, the return pipe gaskets, stripped and cleaned the breather and pipes, checked all the air/vac pipes and I still get it.
I thought it may have been valve seals but it doesnt do it at start up like you would expect. as you say its only after ticking over for 5 mins.
I had the engine compression tested all ok.
I have done one test that gave me some good results. I set the rad fan to continuously on, this kept the temp down so it didnt rise to the point at which it starts the fan in normal use and the smoke wasnt there, I dont think its to do with the vac on the seals at tickover, I think its to do with the heat of the system which rises at low revs/speed and something expanding, although I have yet to work that part out. If you get any info on it I would love to know.

Bracer
Monday 29th November 2004, 15:49
Hmm this is a funny one :crazy:

Markzx
Monday 29th November 2004, 18:08
I have exactly the same problem and have had for the last 6 months.
I have replaced all the filters, fitted a recon turbo, the return pipe gaskets, stripped and cleaned the breather and pipes, checked all the air/vac pipes and I still get it.
I thought it may have been valve seals but it doesnt do it at start up like you would expect. as you say its only after ticking over for 5 mins.
I had the engine compression tested all ok.
I have done one test that gave me some good results. I set the rad fan to continuously on, this kept the temp down so it didnt rise to the point at which it starts the fan in normal use and the smoke wasnt there, I dont think its to do with the vac on the seals at tickover, I think its to do with the heat of the system which rises at low revs/speed and something expanding, although I have yet to work that part out. If you get any info on it I would love to know.

If you can get hold of a themo switch such as a kenlowe where you can acurately set the fan to kick in at the correct temp and it still smokes I'd still bet its the Turbo thrust bearing seals and all you are doing by holding the temp down is stopping the oil reaching temp so its thicker and less passes the seal. However if that is the case then the oil is not doing it job properly and will put stresses on the rest of your engine. What milage has the car done and has it got a FSH.

Bracer
Monday 29th November 2004, 18:10
If you can get hold of a themo switch such as a kenlowe where you can acurately set the fan to kick in at the correct temp and it still smokes I'd still bet its the Turbo thrust bearing seals and all you are doing by holding the temp down is stopping the oil reaching temp so its thicker and less passes the seal. However if that is the case then the oil is not doing it job properly and will put stresses on the rest of your engine. What milage has the car done and has it got a FSH.

Those were my thoughts :wink:

The fan may be a fix but it aint no cure, and will result in bigger problems :eek: