PDA

View Full Version : FM Transmitters, any good in an S60

Spee
Sunday 9th May 2010, 15:31
Looking for a temp solution to use my iPhone in my S60.

I've had the Griffin iPhone FM Transmitter suggested and it works well in my mates car, however, I understand the ariel on the S60 is at the rear of the car in the rear screen and bumper.

Question is simply......has anyone used one on the S60 and has it been any good?

edit. I'm also aware of how much the phones signal interferes with the stereo when I have it near to the stereo, that could be an issue?

Gareth

castellsmith123
Sunday 9th May 2010, 15:47
I have a cheep transmitter which I use in my 850! It work very well! I don't get any interferance at all with it!

gazbak1
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:36
i tried it waste of time, i got a us spec ipod kit imported.

Spee
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:52
I will get a hard wired solution but I'm unsure at the minute if I'm keeping this S60 or not so that's why I need a temporary solution. So one vote for and one against, I'm no wiser at the moment then!

Gareth

Jaseb77
Sunday 9th May 2010, 18:35
i tried it waste of time, i got a us spec ipod kit imported.

me too , tried loads of FM transmitters not great USA Spec Ipod kit ( Fab )

princepugh
Monday 10th May 2010, 12:08
The Griffin product isn't bad and I ran one for a while on my Phase2 V70, which has the integrated ariel, it never struggled to pick the signal up at all, although mobiles do cause bad interference if placed too close by.

I found transmitters ok for use with digital source music with a decent sample rate, although you'll probably have to use 'sound check' to compress the peaks and prevent distortion. Conversely, they can be quite useless for classical, or pre-digital digitised music, as you get too much hiss and background noise.

Sorry, I know that's ambiguous but in short, it's a compromise too far! Just to echo the comments of others, there is no comparison (and never will be) to a wired connection.

Spee
Tuesday 11th May 2010, 18:16
Well, I'm still unsure I'm keeping this S60 so I'll give the Griffin one a go, I'll try it out and if it's no good, take it back! Thanks for the advice guys, I know the hard wire option is best, hopefully either in this one if I keep it of the V70 I'd like to replace it with!

Gareth