PDA

View Full Version : Double Din Head Unit - Which is the best?

Flatout Phil
Saturday 8th May 2010, 21:17
Looking for a decent double din head unit - a bit of a piece of string question I know - but what are the best ones to go for on a sub £300 (and if possible less) budget - noticed someone selling a Kenwood DPX unit on here earlier (now gone) although the DPX503U seems to start around £190 delivered.

All ideas welcomed. And if you are selling, I may be persuaded.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 8th May 2010, 22:22
Anyone?

It is for the R, I already have a CD changer but to be honest would prefer an iPod connection facility. And DAB would be cool but not vital.

thebadger
Sunday 9th May 2010, 09:05
I currently run a Pioneer double din touch screen number. I paid aproxx £300 for it, but had to fork out an aditional £60 for a bluetooth kit & an Ipod cable (specific socket in the back) which gives you full control of the ipod from the touch screen & allows movie playback on the screen.

Can't go wrong with a bigger brand. Avoid the unknown made ebay specials! Bad choice to buy cheap too!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avh-3200dvd.html

That one is similar** but not as nice as the one I have (tbh) as the screen on my unit is larger & it has more features.

For £360 they also sell this....

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avh-3200bt.html

Same unit, but with a built in Parrott bluetooth system.

Best advice is to REALLY shop around. I got the one I have for £70 less than they sold it on the sites above just by going round the houses. Got it for £300!

Happy hunting!

Spee
Sunday 9th May 2010, 18:29
How easy is it to fit those systems to replace the factory unit? Would I want to, I think the factory fitted unit is superb compared to most factory fit systems I've heard. It would be nice to have the additional features mind you! Anyone got a pic of one fitted in a P2 model?

mds
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 16:37
The car is a 2001 V70 T5 SE the original head unit CD changer gave up the ghost. Sent it to Marcel who repaired it then it packed up again Volvo wanted silly money to replace it.
The solution, I brought a Kenwood 6029 unit off Fleabay and added I-pod, Bluetooth Digital TV, Navigation and a 6 CD changer.
A Volvo double din facia from RUFE, Din connector from Autoleads and a Can Bus converter also Autoleads (steering wheel controls).
Total cost £440 and we have a superb set up that plays AM FM and Digital Radio (through the Digital TV unit) DVD's, CD's and full I-pod connectivity (I-pod Touch) with the added bonus of Bluetooth phone connection and just like Badger all controlled from the touch screen.
I also have a second V70 T5 that has the full Volvo Comms/TV/Nav package the Kenwood wins hands down and when the Digital change over comes that will go Kenwood too as Volvo don't seem interested in supporting existing owners with a Digital upgrade.
Shop around there are some bargains but as Badger said stay with the quality brands. They support their products and you won't be disappointed with sound quality.

Boxzoo
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 07:20
I'm assuming that if I buy a double din then the amp would not be used and new unit would just feed speakers direct? I've no knowledge in this area but if signal currently goes from SC-801 to amp then won't it go from amp to speakers after that? As amp under seat doesn't that make connecting speakers to new head unit a bit difficult?

Anyone fitted a head unit to 850R and bypassed amp?

p fandango
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 07:28
A Volvo double din facia from RUFE, Din connector from Autoleads and a Can Bus converter also Autoleads (steering wheel controls).
don't forget you the special Volvo aerial adaptor lead you need

p fandango
Wednesday 16th June 2010, 07:43
I'm assuming that if I buy a double din then the amp would not be used and new unit would just feed speakers direct? I've no knowledge in this area but if signal currently goes from SC-801 to amp then won't it go from amp to speakers after that? As amp under seat doesn't that make connecting speakers to new head unit a bit difficult?

Anyone fitted a head unit to 850R and bypassed amp?
i'm not sure if they use the same plug, but on P2's you can get an adaptor lead to plug into the amp wiring so you use the RCA preouts from the aftermarket stereo. You do lose the centre channel tho as that is powered directly from the headunit