PDA

View Full Version : V70 Engine Knock

Erik The Viking
Saturday 8th May 2010, 12:49
Hi all,

Did a round trip from Maidstone to Loughborough yesterday and noticed a rasping type sound between 2000 / 3000 rev's - checked and thought that it sounded like a blown exhaust gasket.....however...
it has just developed a rather strange metal against metal sound from the top of the block - the engine management light started flashing about 3 miles from home and went in to Limp mode.

The noise does not speed up when she's rev'd (Gently !) it wont idle when started. I've checked both belts, no fluid leaks, no mayo on the dipstick, not overheating so I'm kind of lost.

If any one has any idea what it could be - Lipscomb cant look at her unitll the 12th May.

Thanks.

Erik

1999 V70 XT 140 BHP, 155k serviced at lipscomb twice in 7 months since purchased.

Erik The Viking
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 23:41
Hi all,

Was kinda hoping it was the lifters, but Lipscomb want £6000 - £8000 for a recon engine, salvo got a lump for £400, so told Lippy thought they were a tad too expensive, got a block just need someone to fit - any body got any ideas please ? (Kent area pref)

Cheers
Erik

LiamT4
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 23:51
Hi all,

Was kinda hoping it was the lifters, but Lipscomb want £6000 - £8000 for a recon engine, salvo got a lump for £400, so told Lippy thought they were a tad too expensive, got a block just need someone to fit - any body got any ideas please ? (Kent area pref)

Cheers
Erik

Sorry to hear about this, i'v only just seen this thread, sounded like you were getting detonation, which has ruined the engine. £6-8k thats expensive, what car do you drive? S60/V70R?

Erik The Viking
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 17:35
Hi sorry for late reply - been working away.

Its a V70 XT - took it to a local mechanic, he pointed out the top pulley was loose and explained it could be valve damage recomended I changed the timing belt and water pump (as it was leaking from the bearing - somehow Volvo had managed not to notice at the last service)
Also the T belt was an aftermarket - which could have been a factor.
Anyhoo, now need a replacement engine so looking around.

Thanks for the reply.