PDA

View Full Version : removing bonded windows

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 07:22
i want to try & replace the rear screen & the 2 rear quarter lights (854) & want to try & get them out in one piece, anyone any ideas on the best way to do it?

many thanks Duane

The Flying Banana
Saturday 8th May 2010, 07:47
I have done both a windscreen and a rear screen before using a retractable knife after someone wanted to break all mine in Edinburgh one night. Removed all trim, and just sat scoring the rubber sealant til it was free enough. Didnt take long. Got the bond from autoglass and successfully bonded them in the car ( Sierra ). The bonding tube has a triangle spout on it so goes on nice and neat :)

JelT5
Saturday 8th May 2010, 07:49
There's a kit you can get here: bonded windscreen removal kit (http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/subprod/windscreen-tools-0001397.aspx)

The best way is just very, very slowly- did it once a long time ago and it was not easy. Think most decent windscreen fitters can do it in about 30 mins not the 5 hrs it took me and a mate ;) massive paranoia about paintwork damage being the main reason!

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 08:25
I have done both a windscreen and a rear screen before using a retractable knife after someone wanted to break all mine in Edinburgh one night. Removed all trim, and just sat scoring the rubber sealant til it was free enough. Didnt take long. Got the bond from autoglass and successfully bonded them in the car ( Sierra ). The bonding tube has a triangle spout on it so goes on nice and neat :)

There's a kit you can get here: bonded windscreen removal kit (http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/subprod/windscreen-tools-0001397.aspx)

The best way is just very, very slowly- did it once a long time ago and it was not easy. Think most decent windscreen fitters can do it in about 30 mins not the 5 hrs it took me and a mate ;) massive paranoia about paintwork damage being the main reason!
sounds like a long boring job, thanks for the tips

danny-R
Saturday 8th May 2010, 09:31
make a hole in the rubber, then feed through some cheese wire with a bit of wood on either end as a handle. Best way to take windscreen out anyway.

like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUTTING-WIRE-CUTS-FIMO-SCULPEY-CLAY-PLASTICINE-CHEESE-/310198084004?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Crafts_Ceramic_PotteryMaking_SM&hash=item48393f21a4

just a thought

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 8th May 2010, 09:40
i want to try & replace the rear screen & the 2 rear quarter lights (854) & want to try & get them out in one piece, anyone any ideas on the best way to do it?

many thanks Duane

The rear window and quaters are one piece with the seal as well so new will be needed if you don't need to take them out save your self approx £500 lol

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 09:40
make a hole in the rubber, then feed through some cheese wire with a bit of wood on either end as a handle. Best way to take windscreen out anyway.

like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUTTING-WIRE-CUTS-FIMO-SCULPEY-CLAY-PLASTICINE-CHEESE-/310198084004?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Crafts_Ceramic_PotteryMaking_SM&hash=item48393f21a4

just a thought
that sounds like an idea that could work well, thanks Dan

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 09:41
The rear window and quaters are one piece with the seal as well so new will be needed if you don't need to take them out save your self approx £500 lol
Perspex mate :D

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 8th May 2010, 12:47
Perspex mate :D

Make sure you by quality no scratch stuff as you only have to look at the normal stuff to scratch it lol

i nearly did it but gave up on the idea

Good luck

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 14:17
Make sure you by quality no scratch stuff as you only have to look at the normal stuff to scratch it lol

i nearly did it but gave up on the idea

Good luck
i've got a friend in the glazing trade who can polish anything out if they get too bad anyway mate, only got normal in the sides & seem ok so far

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 17:37
out of interest how do the trim around the rear quarters come off, i was going try prising them off with a screwdriver but not sure what clips they've got