PDA

View Full Version : Help with DumpValve + Blanking Plate?!

MattNottsT5
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 13:19
I've been looking to buy a DV26 Dump Valve for my 850 T5, and have been reliably informed to fit a blanking plate from Forge to the existing built in valve on the turbo, can any1 tell me if this is 1. Easy to do myself? 2. Advisable to do at all, any help would be great thanks chap/chappettes.

smithy
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 13:30
I've been looking to buy a DV26 Dump Valve for my 850 T5, and have been reliably informed to fit a blanking plate from Forge to the existing built in valve on the turbo, can any1 tell me if this is 1. Easy to do myself? 2. Advisable to do at all, any help would be great thanks chap/chappettes.

if you get intouch with forge i think they do a kit with dump valve,blanking plate and takeoff pipe mate.

MattNottsT5
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 13:34
Thanks mate thats cool, just spoke to them re. the plate itself its bout £25 delivered, just wondered how easy this was to do, I'm not exactly a mechanic but will try anything thats reasonably easy for a DIY monkey such as myself :) , looks like being about £165 all in for everything but my T5 needs to dump goddam it!!! its the only thing missing!

Rnash2002
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 13:52
Thanks mate thats cool, just spoke to them re. the plate itself its bout £25 delivered, just wondered how easy this was to do, I'm not exactly a mechanic but will try anything thats reasonably easy for a DIY monkey such as myself :) , looks like being about £165 all in for everything but my T5 needs to dump goddam it!!! its the only thing missing!
I would have alook on ebay for a dump valve,should get cheaper than £165,as long as its a piston type it will be ok.
Fitting the blanking plate is pritty easy 3 10mm bolts hold it on 2 are pritty easy but the other can be a pain to get to,but not that bad.
Where in notts are you? im near mansfield so if you need any help give me a shout.

MattNottsT5
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 13:55
Sorry £165 was for the dump valve + fitting kit, and the blanking plate + all VAT and delivery. the valve itself was £80 plus vat direct from Bailey. Thanks for the advice about that plate, is it advisable for me to get it on a ramp to do or is it accessable from above, also do I completely remove the recirc? Sorry to sound like a beginner but really wanna make sure I do it right, can't wait for my baby to dump! Quickest motor I've ever owned now needs to sound like thunder lol :)

Rnash2002
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 14:00
Sorry £165 was for the dump valve + fitting kit, and the blanking plate + all VAT and delivery. the valve itself was £80 plus vat direct from Bailey. Thanks for the advice about that plate, is it advisable for me to get it on a ramp to do or is it accessable from above, also do I completely remove the recirc? Sorry to sound like a beginner but really wanna make sure I do it right, can't wait for my baby to dump! Quickest motor I've ever owned now needs to sound like thunder lol :)

Ive managed to do it from above and yes you take the hole of the recirc out and put the plate in its place.

MattNottsT5
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 14:02
Ive managed to do it from above and yes you take the hole of the recirc out and put the plate in its place.

Your a gent, thanks I shall order it all soon and have a go. Thanks for the help

danny-R
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 14:44
try just replacing the recirc' with the blanking plate and no dump valve.
sounds better than dump valve imo, guarentee you'll love it.

simpT5
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 15:23
If your re-circ valve is in good condition i.e the diaphram is not split, you could cheat like I did and leave it in place.

I used a one way valve in the vacuum line to it, cost about £3!

That way it'll still remain closed under boost but won't re-cirulate the charged air back into the intake when you lift off the loud pedal.

The sound that is produced with no dump or re-circ valve is just awesome!

mrwho
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 16:34
ah that would be the fantastic sound of wooblecooo. Gonna do this to my C70 when i get round to it

p fandango
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 18:27
sorry folks i'm going to have to post my video again lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J85kItoSXY

LiamT4
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 20:05
[QUOTE=p fandango;306423]sorry folks i'm going to have to post my video again lolQUOTE]

Your car sounds fantastic :firedevil

t5 G
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:17
can you put a dump valve on to the auto 850 t5

danny-R
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:19
yes, but for it to work correctly you will need the blanking plate also.

or just the plate with no d.v

t5 G
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:24
how will just the plate do it or if you blank it off dose the recerc act as a normal valve

danny-R
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:26
if you were to fit a blanking plate with no dv you get a chattering noise from the blades stalling. some say it's bad/damaging to turbo but i don't care 'cos it sounds Awesome :)
Out of interest does anyone know how it could damage the turbo?

i'd say it's well worth a try mate

t5 G
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:29
ok i think i might try and give it a go but still not to sure what i am doing but after i have a look in good light i am sure i will work out what to do thanks for the help

Flatout Phil
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:32

For more thunderousishness I hope you have your Powerflex top mount too! Roar! On Pedro's vid, I think much of the roaring is the induction and powerflex sound combination.

p fandango
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:33
Out of interest does anyone know how it could damage the turbo?
when you back off the throttle the turbo is still spinning creating excess boost when you don't want it to, without a dump valve or recirc valve the excess boost is trapped in the system by the throttle body & stalls the turbo which in extreme cases can cause the blades to snap (thats how i understand it anyway). We're only running low pressure so don't think its that much of an issue

danny-R
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:35
the standard recirc is bolted to right side of turbo by 3 10mm bolts.
Remove this,(10mm wratchet spanner is a must) then replace it with one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turbo-Blanking-Plate-Volvo-Renault-/270483150993?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3efa0d5891

job done. hth

p fandango
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:40
the recirc valve highlighted on the turbo

http://xs.to/image-76C1_4BE47A62.jpg

p fandango
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:45
For more thunderousishness I hope you have your Powerflex top mount too! Roar! On Pedro's vid, I think much of the roaring is the induction and powerflex sound combination.
I've got the Powerflex bulkhead & both gearbox mounts as well now :remybussi

t5 G
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:45
well looked at the car and think next stop ebay for blanking plate and then whooooosh down the road hope it works out or the stop after that might be ebay for a turbo

p fandango
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:47
well looked at the car and think next stop ebay for blanking plate and then whooooosh down the road hope it works out or the stop after that might be ebay for a turbo
i'm not runnng a dump valve or recirc valve on my 19t, altho she's off the road at the moment she ran fine with it fitted for about a year with no signs of any trouble

danny-R
Friday 7th May 2010, 21:49
mine's been on a few month and "had some stick" and so far so good!

t5 G
Wednesday 12th May 2010, 18:34
i got the blank plate on ebay am i ok in thinking that i can put any fitting kit for a dump valve on to my 850

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 08:23
Thanks for all the posts guys I've got my valve and plate arriving today so I shall have a go and let ya'll know. I'm running high boost, approx 25 PSI so I won't take the risk of no valve, altho it does sound tasty!
PS I love in Carlton mate, I often work Mansfield way, sutton/shirebrook/woodhouse etc altho its in my transit lol, not the beast :-(

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 09:05
Thanks for all the posts guys I've got my valve and plate arriving today so I shall have a go and let ya'll know. I'm running high boost, approx 25 PSI so I won't take the risk of no valve, altho it does sound tasty!
PS I love in Carlton mate, I often work Mansfield way, sutton/shirebrook/woodhouse etc altho its in my transit lol, not the beast :-(

Hi Matt,

I did mine yesterday- fitted the forge one; the recirc valve is a real git to get at, good luck with it!

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 11:00
Hi Matt,

I did mine yesterday- fitted the forge one; the recirc valve is a real git to get at, good luck with it!

Yeh I've had a look and I can get to the top two bolts fairly easily but the bottom one is seemingly impossible to get to from the top, did you ramp it or remove something to gain access? Any help is appreciated as I'd like to get it fitted today, Impatient one that I am!

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 11:21
I got at it from the top Matt- removed the air hose from the airbox to the turbo, the intercooler pipe and pulled as much out of the way as I could.
I have no access to a ramp so I had to do it from the top.

A 10mmm ratchet spanner is your best and only friend with this job!

danny-R
Friday 21st May 2010, 11:31
Yeh I've had a look and I can get to the top two bolts fairly easily but the bottom one is seemingly impossible to get to from the top, did you ramp it or remove something to gain access? Any help is appreciated as I'd like to get it fitted today, Impatient one that I am!

if you remove the top two bolts, the recirc' will spin round making the bottom bolt easier to get at. hth

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 12:05
if you remove the top two bolts, the recirc' will spin round making the bottom bolt easier to get at. hth

You guys are too good :) I've been and bought a 10mm rachet spanner and now, much to the annoyance of my wife I shall go and get dirty!! I'll let ya know how I get on, Thanks again all

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 12:28
You guys are too good :) I've been and bought a 10mm rachet spanner and now, much to the annoyance of my wife I shall go and get dirty!! I'll let ya know how I get on, Thanks again all

Good man! I didn't have one when I did mine...now an invaluable asset in the toolbox :)

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 12:52
Good man! I didn't have one when I did mine...now an invaluable asset in the toolbox :)

ok blanking plate all in place, just one more bit of advice please lol, where do i connect the vacuum pipe tat comes from the top of the DV...and then im done thank Gawd

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 12:53
Take it to the manifold where the pipe from the recirc valve was connected.

Happy dumping :D

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 13:30
Take it to the manifold where the pipe from the recirc valve was connected.

Happy dumping :D

All Is now done and she sounds beautifull!! Thanks so much for ya hints and ti[ps they made the job not too stressfull!! Very many thanks!!

Rnash2002
Friday 21st May 2010, 14:38

25psi seems alot of boost to run mate.

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 19:48
Ok new problem...Cor this is fun... I have fitted the DV and Plate all is seeming ok, it certainly dumps, but I have noticed after being out for a bit there is a big flat spot all of a sudden just after changing gear.. seems to be a lot of lag. I'll try and attach some photos to show where I have attached the vacuum pipe from the valve if any1 can tell me if its in the right place please that'd be great. I've attached the pipe to the Inlet Maanifold exactly where the old standard pipe went to, but I was sent a T-piece which seems to be redundant, not sure if I'm missing something...

Rnash2002
Friday 21st May 2010, 19:57
Ok new problem...Cor this is fun... I have fitted the DV and Plate all is seeming ok, it certainly dumps, but I have noticed after being out for a bit there is a big flat spot all of a sudden just after changing gear.. seems to be a lot of lag. I'll try and attach some photos to show where I have attached the vacuum pipe from the valve if any1 can tell me if its in the right place please that'd be great. I've attached the pipe to the Inlet Maanifold exactly where the old standard pipe went to, but I was sent a T-piece which seems to be redundant, not sure if I'm missing something...
That all seems ok to me,i think you will get a slight flat spot as there air was suppost to go back around the system,does it do it on full throttle gear changes or just light throttle changes?
Ive always noticed on full chat mine is fine between gears its just when i drive normal and change gears.

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:06
That all seems ok to me,i think you will get a slight flat spot as there air was suppost to go back around the system,does it do it on full throttle gear changes or just light throttle changes?
Ive always noticed on full chat mine is fine between gears its just when i drive normal and change gears.

it seems to be somewhere in the middle, certainly when i'm boosting hard its ok, and slowly its ok but midboost changes and i feel the car hold back a lot as if it doesn't want to boost for about a second, I assume I did right and just connect the top vacuum pipe directly to the lower front facing connection on the manifold?!... just a bit annoying as before it ddnt have this lag, still sounds great tho..

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:31
That looks fine to me Matt.
Don't understand the power loss you're getting- have you checked all the boost hoses you removed when you fitted the DV- it only takes one loose clip...

LOL my lambda light came on today for a reason only it knows- exactly 24hrs after fitting my DV. WTF?! :insane:

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:39
That looks fine to me Matt.
Don't understand the power loss you're getting- have you checked all the boost hoses you removed when you fitted the DV- it only takes one loose clip...

LOL my lambda light came on today for a reason only it knows- exactly 24hrs after fitting my DV. WTF?! :insane:

lol damn lights, my washer bottle warning light was on for months for no reason untill i went over a speed bump a month ago and....voila, fixed... very strange. I'm currently letting her cool down so everything is not so hot and expanded and I'll go round and secure all the clips again, other than that I can't think of much else I can do. its not a massive problem just a bit of annoying lag, nothing I can't live with tho.

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:48
Hope you get it sorted Matt. I'll ignore my lambda light, same as always lo
Funny you should mention the washer bottle light, mine comes on and off when I accelerate hard...a bit like the Merc/AMG ESP system. Odd really, maybe my car has Teutonic tendencies ;)

p fandango
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:52
Hope you get it sorted Matt. I'll ignore my lambda light, same as always lol
are you's running the right pressure spring in the dump valves?

Funny you should mention the washer bottle light, mine comes on and off when I accelerate hard...a bit like the Merc/AMG ESP system. Odd really, maybe my car has Teutonic tendencies ;)
do the AMG's still have the wonderfull traction control from Merc that you can't turn off? lol

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:54
[QUOTE=p fandango;310340]are you's running the right pressure spring in the dump valves?

Hmmm now I'm afraid I'm a mechanical moron, If it helps its a new DV26 valve from Bailey, not sure about the spring within tho...

p fandango
Friday 21st May 2010, 20:57
Hmmm now I'm afraid I'm a mechanical moron, If it helps its a new DV26 valve from Bailey, not sure about the spring within tho...
i've never used a dump valve so not sure on them myself tbh, but i think some have different strength springs i believe to help keep them shut under boost & stop them leaking air

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 21:01
are you's running the right pressure spring in the dump valves?
AFAIK yes mate- it's a Forge DV kit for ovlov 850. I think I may have a bit of a leak vac wise- need to check everything over again.

do the AMG's still have the wonderfull traction control from Merc that you can't turn off? lol

They do mate :D you can disable it so far but not fully- computers controlling cars...bleuch!

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 21:02
i've never used a dump valve so not sure on them myself tbh, but i think some have different strength springs i believe to help keep them shut under boost & stop them leaking air

Yes they do- so it's possible the spring rate may not be correct Matt.

MattNottsT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 21:14
Yes they do- so it's possible the spring rate may not be correct Matt.

Oh Joy, well i'm now a little stuck, I'm off to a Volvo tuner/garage in Nottingham next week for plugs and a service so I'll check with him, he tends to know just about everything there is to know about ovlovs and he has a thing for T5 estates so he usually looks after me :)

JelT5
Friday 21st May 2010, 22:00
Well at least he may be able to shed some light on it for you mate.
I know I've deffo got a vac leak somewhere now- so I need to practice what I preach about checking clips :slap: