PDA

View Full Version : Anyone removed their air bag steering wheel ?

The Flying Banana
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 12:41
Is it a nightmare or easy ? I see two retaining screews at back ? Are they TORX screws ? Is it as simple as disconnecting battery and then undoing these two screws?

p fandango
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 12:45
Is it a nightmare or easy ? I see two retaining screews at back ? Are they TORX screws ? Is it as simple as disconnecting battery and then undoing these two screws?
i'm sure theirs 4 screws & yes they are torx. I don't think i even removed the battery tbh but is a good idea, make sure you leave it for 30minutes after disconnecting because the system can still have charge. When you undo the screws on the back you'll be able to get to the airbag & unplug it

http://xs.to/image-7668_4BDD6555.jpg

stevie69
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 12:47
theres only 2 on my 850.its easy takes 5 mins..

stevie69
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 12:49
if your about the forth bridge tommorow about 2 ill give you a shot of the torx..

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 4th May 2010, 16:37
Remember to tell your insurance company if you do remove the airbagged s/wheel....

Crazy_C
Tuesday 4th May 2010, 23:50
Yea, it's an easy enough job to do. When removing the wheel, don't fully remove the nut that holds the wheel on, so this way, when you pull the wheel to get it off, you don't smack yourself in the face LOL

Think it was 4 screws on mine too.

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 20:27
Remember to tell your insurance company if you do remove the airbagged s/wheel....

Why do they need to know that ?

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 20:36
Why do they need to know that ?

By removing the airbag you are increasing the chances of physical injury to the driver in the event of an accident, therefore the costs the insurer may have to pay out in the case of an incident increase.

Additionally, if you don't declare its removal and subsequently do have an incident, watch the insurers refuse to pay out as it's a modification from the vehicles original spec (and a very easily spotted one at that), whether or not the airbag would of made a difference.

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 22:15
lolololol

i thought you meant my life insurance incase it goes off whilst i am doing it !! i just need it off to get the alcantara part recovered :) no intentions of putting a non airbag wheel on it

lordvague
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 22:47
Did you have to give up the airbag in adapting to the new wheel or is it functional?

p fandango
Wednesday 5th May 2010, 22:54
Additionally, if you don't declare its removal and subsequently do have an incident, watch the insurers refuse to pay out as it's a modification from the vehicles original spec
isn't that the same for any modifications done to a car http://www.clothdiapernation.com/vbforums/images/smilies/th_smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

Vikingxl
Thursday 6th May 2010, 10:54
And of course everyone tells their insurance company

gotmeaT-5
Thursday 6th May 2010, 12:33
you might find it's an MoT failure to remove the airbag very much the same as removing the catalytic converter

p fandango
Thursday 6th May 2010, 15:19
you might find it's an MoT failure to remove the airbag very much the same as removing the catalytic converter
BT has gone thru a few MOT's fine without the airbag

MisterC1501
Thursday 6th May 2010, 18:13
My V70R had 2 torx screws located at the 9 & 3 O'clock position. Tip for the top.......raise the front wheels off the ground so you can turn your wheel lock to lock without undue stress on the steering rack.

Buy a set of torx allen keys.... the ones with the 90 degree bend, rather than trying to force a screwdriver in there.

The airbag should be loose but remember to carefully disconnect the red tag IIRC. To remove the wheel, lower the car back on the ground, since you will need muscles like Popeye to undo the steering wheel nut :B_thumb:

Volvostorm
Thursday 6th May 2010, 19:24

I'd like to see how, airbags aren't part of the test

skirmish998
Friday 7th May 2010, 23:53
would it not just be a case of if fitted it needs to be in good and safe working order. i.e no warning lights on the dash....

p fandango
Friday 7th May 2010, 23:55
would it not just be a case of if fitted it needs to be in good and safe working order. i.e no warning lights on the dash....
after a while the bulb blows so no problem lol

The Flying Banana
Saturday 8th May 2010, 16:27
Hmmm...looks like somene has been there before cos one of the torx heads is rounded.Looks like i will have to cut the plastic around it to get into the head of it, bit of a waste of wheel but cant see any other way...its never easy !!

p fandango
Saturday 8th May 2010, 16:44
Hmmm...looks like somene has been there before cos one of the torx heads is rounded.Looks like i will have to cut the plastic around it to get into the head of it, bit of a waste of wheel but cant see any other way...its never easy !!
no offence intended are you sure you've got the right size torx bit?

The Flying Banana
Saturday 8th May 2010, 20:15
no offence taken, other side came out fine, i checked with mirror and torch and its defo chewed, its a PITA,