PDA

View Full Version : volvo 440 no start

volvo440
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 01:58
hi there,
I have just removed front battery and placed bigger battery in boot to run install. but now when i turn ignition key on dashboard lights flicker on and off also 2 relays under dashboard are clicking too. battery and oil light stay on for a while after ignition is turned off. imobiliser works fine but engine will not turn over. thinking it could be earth fault i have disconnected rear battery and replaced front one but still the same. now thinking it could be alternater packed up.any ideas?

Volvostorm
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 09:15
How thick was the wire that you used to connect the rear battery to the car? Sounds like your not drawing enough currant to power everything.

volvo440
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 09:49
this is propper power cable the strands inside are as thick as a clipper lighter something like a.w.g 2. same power lead that ran my last volvo from the boot. same problem even with battery in the front

Volvostorm
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 10:04
Where the battery goes in the front, are all the wires connected? I know on my Sierra, if I don't connect one really thin wire nothing happens! Have a look around the battery compartment

volvo440
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 10:13
yep checked all of them changed old positive connector for new one only 2 wires in that good connection and earth wire is the same. but cant see that one faulty as was untouched and was strapped up out of the way. now going to up-rate earth lead from chassis to engine with a.w.g 0.

Volvostorm
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 10:23
Try a jumplead between the battery neg and the chassis, see if that helps/cures, then your know if its a bad earth or not.

volvo440
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 11:15
pault5estate thanks for your help changed earth wire now batteries back in boot now fires up lovely cheers mate