PDA

View Full Version : D5 occasional hiccup!

Spee
Friday 30th April 2010, 22:57
Hi all.

I've noticed recently under part throttle and in all gears that my D5 hesitates and seems to "miss fire". It's not too bad and only does it now and again, but there must be a cause and I'd like to nip it in the bud as I'm planning a trip abroad in the next month or so.

My first thought is to change the fuel filter as I've read somewhere on a much less friendly Volvo forum that the D5 is sensitive to fuel filter blockages and can run poorly if they aren't changed fairly regular.

Any thoughts??

Ta

Gareth :crazy:

Spee
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 12:11
Nobody?

thebadger
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 16:41
Well, the fuel filter could be at fault. The really cold winter has broken quite a few cars in the mechanical sense, however if it is "hesitating" then it points to injectors & possibly a glow plug at fault.

When were they last changed? (that goes to the fuel filter too)

Remember that if* it's doing it on a very regular basis, then its probably a failure in a component (injector, plug, rail or filter) if it's very rarely happening then it's maybe just blocked filters or injectors.

Have you checked to see if it's throwing any codes? (basics!)

Sorry I've not responded, as it's a D5 issue which I can't really say I'm too clued up on. :o

princepugh
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 18:29
Agreed on filters and injectors as a good starting point - found out last year my (T5) fuel filter had never been changed, after 150k miles, despite a good service history! Currently running some Redline injector cleaner through a full tank and that does seem to be making a difference. There are a number of Redline products for diesel you may wish to consider.

You might also want to read up on the Diesels EGR and DPF systems (if yours has the latter).

HTH

Spee
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 21:05
Thanks guys! It is every now and again, it hasn't done it for days now and the last time it did it was is heavy traffic, only did it once and it's been fine since, I'm going for the filter first, if it happens again I'll wizz it up to Readview and have the codes checked.

Oh, I realised today that it's only ever done it when I've been on less than 1/4 tank, may or may not have some bearing on the issue.

Cheers

Gareth

Liddo
Tuesday 4th May 2010, 15:59
Let me know how you changed your fuel filter, Im doing mine soon

;)

Take piccys :D

p fandango
Tuesday 4th May 2010, 16:01
Let me know how you changed your fuel filter, Im doing mine soon

;)

Take piccys :D
mines still using alot more fuel than it used to (down to 47mpg now lol) so thinking about doing my filters as well

Spee
Sunday 9th May 2010, 18:33
Got my filters but won't get to change them until at least next weekend. Happily enough I've had no hiccup since posting the original post! Forum power it seems!

G

doug kyle
Sunday 9th May 2010, 23:20
I had something like this with my D5 S80,
it turned out to be a dodgy injector.
All sorted now, back up to 45 / 50 mpg. :)

Murphy
Monday 10th May 2010, 14:56
I would check/clean the EGR valve on a D5 :)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94139

thebadger
Monday 10th May 2010, 21:22
Happily enough I've had no hiccup since posting the original post! Forum power it seems!

G

That will be £40!

Thank you, and come again!

Spee
Thursday 20th May 2010, 22:08
I had something like this with my D5 S80,
it turned out to be a dodgy injector.
All sorted now, back up to 45 / 50 mpg. :)

My fuel economy is superb, I'm averaging 50 plus, no effort at all, realistically around 54 across a tank full. It's still doing it, but again, it's random! I drove home 60 miles last night, quite a few "missfire" moments on part/gentle throttle, coming back down to work today, the same 60 miles in reverse, it never missed a beat! Strange!

G

thebadger
Thursday 20th May 2010, 23:50
Deffo sounding like an injector to my mind. Have you considered throwing some cleaner into the tank? Sounds daft but some will help (some are pish) but a clean of the injectors will work best.

Also, do you normally take it out for an occasional "thrash"? Too often not abusing the car once in a blue moon can be bad for the fuel system as the pressure never reaches it's peak performance. Just a thought...

princepugh
Friday 21st May 2010, 10:51
deffo sounding like an injector to my mind. Have you considered throwing some cleaner into the tank? Sounds daft but some will help (some are pish) but a clean of the injectors will work best.

techron based

Murphy
Friday 21st May 2010, 11:05
Did you consider cleaning the EGR valve?!?!?!?

Spee
Friday 21st May 2010, 12:39
Haven't cleaned the EGR but will set about it this weekend. I'm going to stick some cleaner in the tank, run it for a week and then change the filters. It's so random I'm not too worried at the moment but I won't ignore it either!!!

I'm hoping it's not injectors of course!

The car starts off the key, no starting issues at all. Runs fine 95% of the time and does not smoke at all (out of the ordinary anyway). I think it could even be the fuel itself, I don't get my fuel from the same place all the time of course.

Thanks

Liddo
Friday 21st May 2010, 14:16
Ive ALWAYS (were possible) got my fuel from the local Shell Station. Ive also put some Redex into half a tank this week, and I'll top it up to full tomorrow. I havent had any issues starting for the past month or so, so Im hopeing my little "gliche" has cleared itself. Im going to replace the fuel filter after Ive done the brakes all round.

Keep us posted.

PS, Mine didnt stutter whilst on the move, it just fired up on what felt like 1 cylinder on 2 occassions.

Spee
Sunday 23rd May 2010, 17:35
Can the injectors be cleaned on these engines? If so, might be worth a punt at some point.

Gareth

Liddo
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 14:41
Can the injectors be cleaned on these engines? If so, might be worth a punt at some point.

Gareth

No mate, ive asked the main man on here, Jim, and he said its a no go.

Incindentally, after i put the Redex Diesel treatment in, and give her a good old blast down the motorway, she's not played up at all, and is returning slightly better mpg! Dunno if its coincidence???

thebadger
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 23:27
As I said up the page, most modern cars have a note in the user manual that says you SHOULD go out & thrash the engine at least once a month (most cars) or in some cases once a week! (performance cars)

I couldn't make this up! I actually recall hearing James May mention something similar on top gear once. It's to keep things from getting clogged & to fully pressurise all the engine systems. Clear the pipes so to speak! Funny to think that you can have a good excuse to do just that! :)

Mark2cars
Monday 22nd November 2010, 15:25
Well, my 2003 D5 had very similar problems and has just been diagnosed as needing a new fuel injector (at £245). I have already changed the fuel filter and put in some cleaner and it is perhaps slightly better.
Is it worth going for a used injector (about £50) or can anyone recommend either cheaper source of new or reconditioned injectors.
Cheers,
Mark

t5 stealth
Monday 22nd November 2010, 18:38
personally i would get the codes read 1st,
could be injector,could be throttle body,could be a few things,
if its an injector then it will show as a fault,
they do apparently have some issues with injectors,
but dont undo the fuel pipes to the injectors as your supposed to change them once you undo them as they apparently leak after that,and they are very very expensive,and also number 1 injector is a primary injector,
if the ecu doesnt get a signal from that one then it wont start,and i cant remember if it has to be programmed if changed.
if its throttle body or throttle pedal,as its fly by wire,all the crap on the carpet or rugs etc can get into the sensative pedal electronics...then your pedal gives the throttle body the wrong info,then the throttle body trys to do what its being told,while the ecu is expecting a diffrent signal for the possition of pedal and vehicle revs/speed etc...
get codes read would be better....and even get live data read if they can so you can opporate items and see that they are working correctly etc.

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 19:00
Wotcha,

Just chip my penneth worth in.

I've had a couple of problems which may or may not be related to this topic, but sound similar. ('03 V70 D5)

I have had the car cough and die twice (possibly a third time this morning - although I could have been a bit heavy on the clutch) when sitting at idle. The two times it has definately happened, the car has thrown a warning 'Service Urgent' or something to that effect. Switched off and started again immediatley. (Very immediatly as I was on the M6!)

The two codes logged were ECM 2503 and ECM 2505- Both 'Fuel pressure too low'.

As a precaution the dealer replaced the fuel filter, which the technician claimed was a known problem. Other than the possible third time, I have not noticed anything since, although I do feel sometimes the old girl is a bit underpowered when booting it.

Also I have had a few times where the car has started 'as if only on one cylinder', and the other day it took a good 10seconds of turning over to fire up. All cold starts. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Going to monitor the situation, but just though it might be related.

JimmyBurnWorld
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 10:40
Spee, did anything come of all this? Did the problem ever resurface?

Not to hijack the thread, but I've had it happen again this morning.

Regular A-Road potter into work, nothing too brisk (lorries!), occasional full bore overtake, other than that a normal 30 mile drive.

Got to a set of traffic lights, sat for 5 mins, all ok. Moved onto the next set of lights, and as I was stationary (clutch in, idling), the engine coughed and died. Up comes the message 'Engine Service Urgent'. Switched off, restarted, no further problems.

The engine dying seems to be as if the fuel line has been clamped as it dies off rather than just stalls, which would tie in with the engine codes earlier on.

In response to some of the posts the following applies:

1: Car gets treated well, with the occasional 'enjoyment' of the D5 torque (i.e: The occasional 'thrash')

2: Just been serviced last week

3: 160k miles

4: EGR mixer pipe cleaned out over christmas (wasn't too bad, but had a good 10mm of gunk coating the inside)

5: Main dealer read the codes and consequently changed the fuel filter back in November.

I have a warranty on the car, however unless theres some firm evidence as to what the problem is, they will not do anything. I'm getting the impression its injectors as my car falls into the 2003-2004 trouble period (from what I read on another thread).

t5 stealth
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 18:47
what mileage has your cars done,
i heard the d5 has turbo issues around 140,000 miles,

and had a d5 at work the other day that had the service urgent warning,and missed a beat now and again,and not as responsive as usual,

it was towed in as the turbo died...and pumped oil into the engine.
causing the engine to over rev flat out even with the keys out,
this happens with oil burners if they suck in oil it will run like its diesel,except you have no throttle control...it revs to hell all on its own,
the end result was a second hand turbo and intercooler as it blew that to bits,
i had to remove the front pipe and cat and clean it out,
undone the exhaust and it poured out about 2 or 3 pints of oil,

and if you got a rattling or metalic noise from the rear of the engine then i would get it checked asap before it turns into something nasty...if it is a turbo problem,
if you remove one of the big pipes to the turbo and have a feel of the rotor to make sure it hasnt any excessive movement,

when i removed the turbo the rotor was rattling around in the housing like a marble,

LeeT5
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:46
My fuel economy is superb, I'm averaging 50 plus, no effort at all, realistically around 54 across a tank full. It's still doing it, but again, it's random! I drove home 60 miles last night, quite a few "missfire" moments on part/gentle throttle, coming back down to work today, the same 60 miles in reverse, it never missed a beat! Strange!

G

60 miles in reverse! That's not good for your gearbox :rolleyes2

malikeur
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 11:04
hello,
I'm french, so I speak little English. (thank you google trad)

Do you have finally found the solution to the defects 2505 2503?
because I have the same on my car, idling my car is unstable, and sometimes the engine stops especially in the traffic jam.

thank you to tell me if you have found the solution.

In France there are not many user volvo and it's hard to find information.

thank you

wegal
Tuesday 15th November 2011, 12:11

G

You drove 60 miles in reverse..... impressive !

malikeur
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 00:34
Mon probleme est, un sifflement (ou soufflement) moteur qui disparait brutalement a 2000tr, ainsi qu'un manque d'agrement (manque de couple et accoups).

Mais dés que je passe les 2000tr, tout va bien.

Ma premiere hypotese etait la geometrie variable du turbo, je l'ai nettoyée, mais ca n'est pas ca.

Maintenant j'ai une autre hypotese, vous me dites si elle vous parait sensée.

Je me dit que peut etre que mes pipes d'admission d'air sont encrassées ou bouchées, et ce qui ce passe c'est:

Entre 0tr et 2000tr le volet de turbulence (swirl) est fermé donc l'air ne doit passer que par les pipes d'admission (bouchées?)
Au dessus de 2000tr, le volet s'ouvre et l'air peut passer par la.

Est ce que vous croyez que ca pourrait faire siffler le moteur?

Je precise d'autre choses.

- des fois je n'ai plus le sifflement (quand il fait froid)
-le matin, quand j''arrive pour la 1ere fois de la journée a 1800tr, j'entend un espece de "croups" dans le moteur qui ne se reproduira que le lendemain matin.
-parfois, a chaud et au depart d'un feu, ou dans les embouteillages, ma voiture cale en 1ere. Il me suffit de couper et redemarrer et cest bon. Ca me donne l'impression que ma voiture "n'aime pas les departs en 1ere.

Désolé si j'ai été trop long.
Merci de m'avoir lu et de vos avis.

malikeur
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 00:36
My problem is, a whistle (or blowing) engine that has suddenly disappears 2000tr, and a lack of approval (lack of torque and accoups).

But as soon as I pass the 2000tr, so good.

My first was hypotese variable geometry turbo, I cleaned, but it is not ca.

Now I have another hypotese, you tell me if you seem sensible.

I can be said that my air intake pipes are clogged or blocked, and what happens is this:

0TR between the flap and 2000tr turbulence (swirl) is closed so the air must pass through only by the intake ports (blocked?)
2000tr above, the shutter opens and air can pass through.

Do you think AC could whistle the engine?
hello

I specify other things.

- Sometimes I do not have the hiss (when cold)
-morning, when I arrived'' for the first time that day has 1800tr, I mean a kind of "croup" in the engine that will not happen until the next morning.
-sometimes, a warm and starting a fire, or in traffic, my car stalls in the first. I just cut and restart and thats good. Makes me feel like my car "does not like in the first departures.

Sorry if I've been too long.
Thank you for reading and your advice.