PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone pinch bolts, complete gits!

Mr Sheen
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 15:57
Changed my ball joints (wishbones) today, new polybushes for the new wishbones too, but had my usual run of luck and have spent last 2 hours trying to get a wishbone pinch bolt out:frown: Still can't get it out, have got to the point where I'm thinking about taking hub off so I can get to it easier and **** it with a BIG hammer:pants:

siamblue
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 18:07
Took me ages to get mine out as well, try spreading the pinch part as wide as you can,

Gary

Alan M
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:15
Has the bolt rounded or is it tight? If you have a new item and your tools still have a good tight fit on the heads you can just tighten the bolt till it snaps then you should be able to remove the two halves.

cameron
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:29
The wider you open the gap the harder it is to get them out ;)

Think yourselves lucky, i didnt have proper pinch bolts in there at all, one was a fully threaded bolt and the other wasnt even the right sort of pinch bolt :yikes:

And just so you know if you go for new ones they are the same aricles that are used in Fo....Fo...For.... you know the one, Fiesta's on 90 -> up to 97, and cost about £3 each.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:36
Invest in a nut-splitter - an exceedingly good revenge on stubborn nuts!

cameron
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:43
I usually just give them a good shaleighlying ( say it slowly ) with WD40, leave it 5 minutes then if they are the sort with the threadless ends i give them a love tap with a 2lb lump hammer and a long ratchet extension ( an old one ) they always give way :D

Vikingxl
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:46
Invest in a nut-splitter - an exceedingly good revenge on stubborn nuts!

I dated one of those a fair few years back

cameron
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:50
LOL @ Viking :D

Mr Sheen
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 21:29
The bolt is starting to round as it's seized solid. Tried thumping it, but nothing. It's been bathed in WD40. Typical of my luck, other side was fine. I've got new bolts so dont mind destroying this one.

Had thought about heating it, but bit worried about melting CV gators.

Jimmie
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 21:42
Can you not use gentle heat and hold the wd40 type lub on,it will help to penetrate and sometimes works.
Were the old wishbone very worn and rusty?.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 22:32
The bolt is starting to round as it's seized solid. Tried thumping it, but nothing. It's been bathed in WD40. Typical of my luck, other side was fine. I've got new bolts so dont mind destroying this one.

Had thought about heating it, but bit worried about melting CV gators.

Although it is a bugger, it is nothing compared to having spent days drilling out wishbone bolts on my old Imps. I agree that penetrating oil can work to some extent. I would get a decent drift and brace up the wishbone solidly so it does not move around - get a decent thumper and deliver steady blows. If this does not work, I think you may have to go for the drill. This will be a slow process but with care, whether by actually drilling out, or even the heat generated by the drilling - the bolt will eventually come out. Now the bolts on the Imp were huge, these should be easier, but keep the drill straight and well oiled.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 22:36
I dated one of those a fair few years back

Don't know about a nut-splitter, I just got a nut-kicker :nutkick:

Mr Sheen
Thursday 29th April 2010, 09:42
Can you not use gentle heat and hold the wd40 type lub on,it will help to penetrate and sometimes works.
Were the old wishbone very worn and rusty?.

Not really, just worn ball joints.

cherry1809
Thursday 29th April 2010, 11:18
Is the nut jammed or just the bolt?
I had the bolt stuck in the driver side of mine.
I put the steering on full lock, Threaded the nut back on till the thread was level with the end of the bolt, Put the socket and extension bar on and hit the sh*t out of it. Went after a few hits.

siamblue
Thursday 29th April 2010, 11:46
The bolts in mine were completely rusted in, i really didn;t think they were coming out, but in the end they did move, i used a long silver steel bar and got a friend to hit the end of the bar with a lump hammer.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 29th April 2010, 12:00
You could always undo the nut, book really expensive tickets to go to an event, drive down the road on the day and I will guarantee they will simply fall out.

Mr Sheen
Saturday 8th May 2010, 00:06
Finally got pinch bolt out. went a long to a mates garage, he used an air powered zip gun to rattle the bolt out. 30 secs and it was out.

New wish bones with poly bushes fitted. What a difference the poly bushes make to the car. Front end now nice and positive, highly recommend this mod for transforming the feel of the car.

cameron
Saturday 8th May 2010, 23:59
Glad you got it sorted buddy :D

Found out the same gun method myself this weeek whilst changing the wishbone on a Fix it again tomorrow Punto, little bleeder was seized in there :grumpy:

A good shaleighlying with WD40 then 30 secs with the air gun and it was out.