PDA

View Full Version : BMC CDA Air Filter System

officerbrooks
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 11:52
Hi, does anyone have any experience of fitting one of these systems and any improvements gained over standard.
Thanks.

LiamT4
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 19:30
I had 1 on my t4. Sounded fantastic (you could hear it dump outside of the car, fantastic in multi storey carparks, etc), performance was better than the paper filter but no better than a panel filter, looked good aswell. Very easy to fit (even i could do it!), as long as it comes with the correct bracket.

thebadger
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 19:37
Yeah, Liam is most likley right, it should be a doddle to fit, but you'd probably get just as good a result from either a sheilded cone filter (BSR, K&N or Pipercross) or an uprated panel filter.

The biggest bonus with the other types are the money savings. The difference could go to something else.

LiamT4
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 19:59
you'd probably get just as good a result from either a sheilded cone filter (BSR, K&N or Pipercross) or an uprated panel filter.

The biggest bonus with the other types are the money savings. The difference could go to something else.

I agree, i think they are overpriced, but most of the fully inclosed induction kits are. But i may still get another similar 1 for my s70, because i really loved the noise! (cause i like to waste my money like that. lol)

thebadger
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:10
I personally have the BSR heat sheilded cone filter. I have also used a K&N panel.

Both make a lovely noise, the cone is louder though.

BSR cones come up on ebay every so often. Both for P2's & for 850/s/v/c70's.

None showing right now though.

thebadger
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:14
Direct from BSR they cost €120 so basically about £100 delivered!

LiamT4
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 21:27
Both make a lovely noise, the cone is louder though.

On my bmc, it seemed that the cold air feed was magnifying the noise.

thebadger
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 21:40
If you remove the "splash guard" then the standard air hose can be just as nice!

LiamT4
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 21:47
If you remove the "splash guard" then the standard air hose can be just as nice!

Hmmm, interesting, may give that a try, you can just hear the panel filter i'v currently got.

p fandango
Thursday 29th April 2010, 07:04
i have seen some installs using the BMC & tbh they must be losing power, they add more twists & turns than the stock system. Using the canistor in a well thought out design & keeping the air flow nice & straight would gain you something over the standard system, i've always been a fan of the open cone myself

officerbrooks
Saturday 1st May 2010, 19:06
Thanks all for your advice, it's something to ponder.
Cheers

Jamest5r
Saturday 1st May 2010, 19:14
Direct from BSR they cost €120 so basically about £100 delivered!

Officer try Chad on here he is a bsr dealer might be able to beat that?

LiamT4
Saturday 1st May 2010, 22:35
i have seen some installs using the BMC & tbh they must be losing power, they add more twists & turns than the stock system. Using the canistor in a well thought out design & keeping the air flow nice & straight would gain you something over the standard system, i've always been a fan of the open cone myself

On my bmc system there was only 1 turn, to get around the battery, as the cold air feed was just so much wider than the standard pipe it wouldn't fit into the wing, where the original 1 fitted.

p fandango
Saturday 1st May 2010, 22:42
On my bmc system there was only 1 turn, to get around the battery, as the cold air feed was just so much wider than the standard pipe it wouldn't fit into the wing, where the original 1 fitted.
i've seen some using the BMC on 850's & the filter goes straight into a U bend which really isn't good for the air flow, & looking at the pipe it looks like a proper kit for them

LiamT4
Saturday 1st May 2010, 22:51
i've seen some using the BMC on 850's & the filter goes straight into a U bend which really isn't good for the air flow, & looking at the pipe it looks like a proper kit for them

I know what you mean, i had to modify mine a bit to get it to fit well.

thebadger
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 06:35
Hmmm, interesting, may give that a try, you can just hear the panel filter i'v currently got.

Easiest way is to remove the grill first.

Remember, NEVER drill an airbox! It's just mental!