PDA

View Full Version : Dozy question can pistons be replaced without lifting the engine

gotmeaT-5
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 23:01
Is it possible to replace the piston rings on a 850 T-5 engine without pulling it out. You can swear at me now if you must as I don't have the space to pull the engine out.

nobananas
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 23:21
Yes it should be possible but you will obviously have to pull the head and remove the sump. Out of interest why do you think you have ring problems ?

gotmeaT-5
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 11:41
The mpg on the car is not so great 22 on a long run and I've been told its possibly a sign of bad rings. I've read on the internet that it's possible just wanted to make sure oh and the engine has nearly 300 miles on it

Tomcat
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 14:18
Get a compression test done first, that will tell you if it's the rings.

nobananas
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:34
As TC says get a compression test, high mileage doesn't always mean worn out ! You would also be getting high oil consumption and probably blue smoke from the exhaust on overrun but that could also be the turbo ! I was having smoking issues with mine and had very low compression on cylinder 3, I pulled the head and the bores were knackered, and my car had only covered 140,000 !. If you do a compression test and it is low, put a little oil in the bores and try it again, if the compression comes up then the problems in the bottom end if not may have valve sealing issues. To be honest, 22mpg isn't that unheard of with a T5 !