PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5 strange starting problem advice please

mas
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:35
Well it had to happen , my lovely commuting machine with 145 on the clock has a nasty problem. I am no mechanic as some will know but this isnt the normal starter motor type fault I have ever seen or heard so here goes trying to explain.

Each time you start , no problem with starter motor engaging or turning as in flat battery alternator etc, and no click/dead. It turns it and makes a grinding/slipping noise and its almost like a cough as well but not as in engine firing.

A colleague of mine who is very mechanically minded said it sounded just liike when his BMW had the ring gear go ( which I had never heard of) and I understand this is rare but expensive so I prey its not. Today it turned and grinded and slipped and wouldnt start the car ( more slip than grind) but I left it 5 mins and had another go and it started and got me home so now it must be fixed.

Any ideas , is this just a starter or solonoid gone ( combined/seperate ?)
I suppose I will just have to go to a garage and get striped up for money I dont have at the mo.

Cheers Mas

princepugh
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:04
Sounds like you've lost some teeth off the flywheel unfortunately- it aint gonna be cheap as I think it's an engine out job, might want to inspect the clutch and DMF whilst at it too. If thats what it is, you can manually rotate it with a socket if you get stuck but it will obviously need sorting sooner rather than later.

HTH

v70torslanda
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 02:03
Remove the starter motor. Carefully remove the glow plugs. This will lower the compression and allow you to inspect the teeth on the flywheel 'ring gear' thru the starter motor aperture as an assistant turns the crankshaft with a socket and a ratchet.

Missing or damaged teeth mean a new ring gear. This may not be available as a separate part, you may need to replace the flywheel. If you need a flywheel you will also need a clutch.

Check/inspect and then speak to Simon @ FRF in Swansea ('Rufe' on here) to find out what is available. See Trader's Section for contact details.

HTH

J

mas
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 19:06
Well the rare it may be but it sounds like darrens ' ring gear' suggestion may indeed be true. I certainly thought it sounded exactly as per what he described. I will have to get a mechanic to check for this and if it is the case I will possibly bin the car. Any ball park guess re fixing this parts and labour or if it is defo an engine out would be usefull ? Meanwhile I'll get it checked as I have no choice.

Thanks for the advice so far. I never trustr garages one iota im afraid and it comes from bitter experience.

Regards Mas