PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt tensioner failure.

nobananas
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:17
I'll probably be doing the cambelt this weekend. It doesn't really need doing as I changed it 50,000 miles ago but I'm starting to get 'the fear' (and I go on holiday in a week or so and you know what happens when I go on holiday in the T5 !). I will probably do the water pump too and obviously be fitting a cambelt kit but what about the hydraulic tensioner plunger ?. Has anyone had any experiences with these failing ? Mines been on since year dot so has covered at least 200k (as well as whatever the 'real' mileage may be !) and I'm thinking about doing it as well. ( if I can afford it !)

cameron
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:19
This had seized solid on mine so i had to change it last month when i done my cambelt.

nobananas
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:26
I'm assuming that the plastic washer that fits over the plunger is there in case the plunger fails so that the tension doesn't completely come off the belt ?

cameron
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:28
No idea tbh, i didnt change it, but i did have the part shown to me and a nice bill at the end of i of about £250 inc belt and other bits and bats :(

Tomcat
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:55
TBH I've never changed the hydrolic tensioner yet, provided that your REALLY carefull when you wind it back in (take lots of time) then you shouldn't have a problem. The plastic spacer comes with the new timing belt so you may as well replace that.

yellowt5r
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 15:02
is a t5 96 water pump the same a a 95 water pump on a 850 t5?

nobananas
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:27
is a t5 96 water pump the same a a 95 water pump on a 850 t5?

Probably, although if you look on the partsforvolvos.com website they list two pumps, one up to one engine number and one from that engine number.

cameron
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:31
Yeah Volvo changed a lot of bits late 95 inc brake set ups as well ;)